What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Drying in an outdoor shed, temperature question

pheed

Hi, does anyone dry their weed outdoors? I was thinking of drying my plants in an outdoor shed, but was wondering if nightly temps in the low 50s might be a problem. Would it be better for the quality of the final product to dry them indoors with stable temps around 70?

Andyo

Veteran
airflow,ventilation maybe a heater

airflow,ventilation maybe a heater

Hi, does anyone dry their weed outdoors? I was thinking of drying my plants in an outdoor shed, but was wondering if nightly temps in the low 50s might be a problem. Would it be better for the quality of the final product to dry them indoors with stable temps around 70?

I used my vented 2kw mothers room with an oscilating fan
humidity was 55% to 60% temps 23 c 73.4 F
Plants hanging n swinging a bit on a washing line,A

weedobix

ICMag Donor
Veteran
i do it all the time, in the winter here low temps and constant rain makes it hard but a little heater and fans can help. if the weather is really bad i strip the buds right down to nugs before drying to minimize any mold problems.

fenomeno_djo

i do it all the time, in the winter here low temps and constant rain makes it hard but a little heater and fans can help. if the weather is really bad i strip the buds right down to nugs before drying to minimize any mold problems.

How long do you let them dry ? :tiphat:

as mentioned earlier, don't worry to much about temps but you better be concerned about humidity! if the weather is going to be humid during your outdoor hang time then you want to make sure your buds are spread out really, really well while hanging. separate all the limbs during humid weather unless it's some gangly landrace sativa. the denser the buds the more you had better pay attention to this. with more humidity present it's going to take longer for them to cure, but this isn't a bad thing.

we can get fairly accurate 10 day forecasts for about any local these days. look at your 10 day weather daily well before harvest! this will help you plan for your circumstances. the denser the buds, the more you have to watch out for rain. if you have dense buds that are done, you could screw yourself by leaving them on the plant for a few more days until a rain passes. you could screw yourself just as easily by letting them hang in a shed with no circulation while it rains for 3 or 4 days. if i had to choose i'd choose the latter, and i have. not fun. the more open your shed for air circulation the better.

when the humidity is lower in a normally humid environment and your girls are done then you have the perfect condition for a good outdoor hang. i have taken plants early before to hang during periods of low humidity. i've waited a bit too for similar conditions if there was no chance of rain in the meantime. i remember a time when i took a plant late with no rain chances yet it was over 80% humidity during hang time. i made the mistake of hanging the limbs to close together. three days later when i checked on things it was mould city. FUCK ME RUNNING! live and learn.

there is just so much subjectivity when drying outdoors so you've got to think through your future environment and have a plan. a backup plan with a controllable or somewhat controllable environment is nice to plan for too. if you loose a large plant to mould, then the previous sentence will sound like more than just some gibberish. plan your work and work your plan.

Latest posts

Latest posts