What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Scientific Soil? anyone try it?

Beanzy

There is a soil out there that is scientifically mixed by computer and tightly controlled calle " Scientific Soil"
the designer of the soil wrote the books
1. Small Spaces Big Yields
2. Marijuana Cultivation Reconsidered. by Read Spear

I read on another forum that the soil was so good that a commercial grower was able to run more than one cycle through it.

It ios not distributed in the Southeast although it is manufactured here, wondering if anyone tried it, I am going to get a few bags and do a side by side with FFOF and Sunshine all outdoor.
I cant put the link up here but it is on google

orechron

It probably does as well as many other peat based mixes on the market. Sometimes ffof comes back with a good analysis, sometimes terrible. Others that I've seen with good numbers are happy frog and nectar of the gods media which is peat based. Nectar differs from other medias mainly because they add more calcium.

This guys website shows some soil analyses, but nothing with a cec or base cation saturation. Saturation percentage is pretty valuable if you're trying to make a balanced soil. I don't know what the price is but I wouldn't buy it if it is considerably more than other similar mixes. Main reasons: no mehlich 3 test, micronutrient ppm's could be better, coir is used (it has inferior cec to peat, around 20% lower).

The website also suggests buying more once its spent. You can reuse peat based soils if you analyze them and add more minerals between rounds. You can save a ton of money that way. I'm on my 6th round in a peat based mix and the best cycle was the 4th round. Now its turned into worm castings and I'm going in the direction of heavier, clay based soil now.

Microbeman

The Logical Gardener
ICMag Donor
Veteran
If you are growing using living soil methods and can't grow more than 2 cycles, something's wrong.

Ratzilla

Veteran
If you are growing using living soil methods and can't grow more than 2 cycles, something's wrong.

In fact I opine that the more times your mix is recycled only makes elements all the more available.
Its just getting started after 2 cycles on things like green sand and some other minerals.
After every run I replenish
Things that break down quickly like Blood meal, guano's, kelp and basically all meal except bone meal , all organic products all get put back in @100%.
Things that break down slower like limes, bone,shells rock products and especially green sand get put back in @50%.
I sometimes only add all things at 50%.
I have most of my deficiencies being trace elements so I keep a look out for these things and if seeing any during the run I will add such things for the next but often it takes a few runs before things come together.
I get a soil test done after 3-4 runs to check to see where my medium is and add accordingly.
I also add back all plant material that not going to be used in thinking this unused plant material is loaded with what the plant wanted and took up.
I also use top dressing's every 10-14 days as the run progresses.
I think a grower adopts a style that suits himself and his plants after a few years.
I have note books going back 12 years and the first few grows i wasn't smart enough to keep notes.
I have learned how to read my plants , they talk to me!!!
Ratz:tiphat:

ganjabyllama

This is my first post here on icmag, hope you find it helpful. Soil levels of available nutrients (SLAN) can be affected by many things. If the soil has a base cation saturation ratio (BCSR) that can cycle nutrients effectively to the plants needs, then it becomes more about what ammendments are supplying the nessecary elements. Of course if the soil is healthy and alive and maintained with top dressing and such it should run many runs if you wish.:peacock:

Beanzy

I spoke with the developer of the soil, and also with the facility that mixes and bags it along with a house brand that they custom order manufacture for commercial grows.
If all goes as planned there is going to be a kind of double blind study with several mixes done by several growers done side by side with same genetics so I suppose cloning would be appropriate.
If I'm not careful I may have fun and learn, I don't know if this has been done on IC mag or not.
Of course the big ones will be in there on the side by side like FFOF, sunshine, etc.
I'm starting an outdoor auto this month with Vermifire, that will be on the Florida Growers thread Reloaded.