What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Need Help Designing Blumat Grow!

Hi, I am thinking of buying a mammoth G1 tent (110cm x 180cm x 240cm) with 15 x 5 gallon pots (30.5cm wide) (3 rows of 5) and using blumats.. I am hoping that three rows instead of two will not make it too difficult.. I was planning on running 8mm white tubing down to a T splitter over each row of 3 plants then running 3mm tubing Down to a 4 way splitter then a Y splitter at each plant with 2 carrots per pot.. Thing is the distance from the 4 way splitter will be longer for the outside row of plants.. Will this be too long a distance for 3mm tubing? Should I only use 1 carrot per pot with drippers? It is to be a gravity fed system and I noticed that they sell different kits for gravity fed systems so is that what I need? What's the difference? I don't think they supply a pressure reducer in the gravity fed kits but they do recommended using them in gravity fed systems so do I need a pressure reducer? What size rez would you guys recommend? How high Do I need to keep it? They recommend 3 feet apparently.. Is that above the ground or above plant level? Will it be OK to run the line into the inlet hole In the tent which seems very low and is on one side of the tent (not in the middle) or do I need to add another hole in the middle & higher in the tent? Thank you :)

Dog Star

Veteran
16 x 7 gallon pot is better combo... why 15 x 5..

you never growed in this tent and you will use just 3 rows,thats cause you cant visualise
that this 3 rows you will miss one..

16 plants is 4x4
15 plants is 3x5

imagine tent as a square.. would it be easier to put inside 4x4 or 3x5??

Dude... The tent is a rectangle not a square! This way I get the closest to an even distance between plants and fill the space most efficiently the way I see it! I wish the footprint of a gavita (and thus this tent) was a square but it's just not I'm afraid!

I wish the dimensions were better too.. 110 x 180 is uneven and a pain in the ass.. It's the 110 bit that sucks.. If only it was 120 things would be much easier..

Dog Star

Veteran
I never sees those dimensions... why you dont buy normal square tent..

so you will not use Gavita 1000 DE inside??

Yes I will.. This tent was specifically designed to be used with a gavita 1000w using an SR reflector.. That is why I wouldn't use a square tent! When I saw you post in the last thread that you were using a gavita 1000w and a 215cm tent I just assumed you were using the 215cm version of this tent!

Dog Star

Veteran
No i use square type or Q by mark.. 150 Q Elite... its perfect by shape to suit Gavita..

those 110 x 180 is weird for Gavita that hits 5x5 print..

Gavita doesn't have a 5' x 5' print! It's a rectangular print! Read their literature! This tent is designed to fit the footprint of a gavita perfectly! The SR stands for small room..

Dog Star

Veteran
Before they claimed same for Mammoth 120 Q,150 Q... that its perfect print
for these tents Gavita lights... now they have new products,you know stuff need to be sold to people.. so its not weird this new print is also perfect...

i can sees it can be done in 150 x 150,also in 110 x 180... its not huge difference..
only to me who already growing few years under Gavita stuff can be weird with
110 x 180 as i didnt work ever in this kind of space... that your G1 still
have weird print for that light...

But OK,lets sees how you will addapt to new enviroment,light,etc....

Did you buyed already gear???

No.. Still planning the blumats, etc.. Really? They said that about other tents with a square print? Faark.. That's not good! This time claim to have designed it in concert with gavita to use the SR reflector so I can only hope that it's genuinely suited..

Dog Star

Veteran
Belive me bro before they advertised Q models as perfect print for Gavita lights...

like 120 Q was perfect for those 750 W model,150 Q for 1000 DE... but dont worry
too much,i think you can made it normaly in 110 x 180,you still have better height
than mine tent... 240cm helps a lot... i will love to have this height for mine plants,
looks like tent where you can pull some weights if you made everything good
and addapt all elements in your favor..

Yea I hope so.. I am still not happy with the height as you might have gathered from my other thread... I can only grow 80cm tall plants if I stick to the 90cm recommended height from canopy :( Hard with the stretch of OG...

Is this what I need to connect to a Rez? It says it has a "stop on one side".. There are others with stops on 2 sides.. "auto stops" which stops the water on both sides.. Wtf? Water only flows one way right? So why on both sides? And the auto stop means I can just disconnect it and the water stops? (It only mentions that in the 2 stop version) Wow! I'm not sure if I can use this if I need a pressure reducer though..? Will save me having to use a seperate on off valve/disconnect I would imagine?

https://www.sustainablevillage.com/1_2-x-8mm-w_-stop-professional-quick-connect-for-pvc

Blumat Answers

Hi, I am thinking of buying a mammoth G1 tent (110cm x 180cm x 240cm) with 15 x 5 gallon pots (30.5cm wide) (3 rows of 5) and using blumats.. I am hoping that three rows instead of two will not make it too difficult.. I was planning on running 8mm white tubing down to a T splitter over each row of 3 plants then running 3mm tubing Down to a 4 way splitter then a Y splitter at each plant with 2 carrots per pot.. Thing is the distance from the 4 way splitter will be longer for the outside row of plants.. Will this be too long a distance for 3mm tubing? Should I only use 1 carrot per pot with drippers? It is to be a gravity fed system and I noticed that they sell different kits for gravity fed systems so is that what I need? What's the difference? I don't think they supply a pressure reducer in the gravity fed kits but they do recommended using them in gravity fed systems so do I need a pressure reducer? What size rez would you guys recommend? How high Do I need to keep it? They recommend 3 feet apparently.. Is that above the ground or above plant level? Will it be OK to run the line into the inlet hole In the tent which seems very low and is on one side of the tent (not in the middle) or do I need to add another hole in the middle & higher in the tent? Thank you :)
In regards to your blumat questions:

Best to run the 8mm tubing across the top of each row of plants, or on the floor of the tent. Each blumat carrot comes with a 8mm to 3mm tee, so you can just add them next to each pot. One carrot will be fine for each 5 gallon pot, but I recommend three distribution drippers.
You do not need the pressure reducer when using a gravity system of this size.

The rule of thumb for res height is one vertical foot above the soil level, for every 10 horizontal feet you wish to travel, so three feet would be fine. Also, it is ok to run the tubing through the hole on the floor. There will be enough pressure to bring the water up to the soil level surface.

You could get away with a small 5 gallon res if you put a float valve on it, or are willing to check it every day. But I would want to use something larger, at least 20 gallons.

I use 5 gallon bucket suspended at the ceiling, with a larger 30 gallon res on the floor. Pond pump on a short cycle time is used to supply water to 5 gallon. The 5 gallon supply inlet is positioned above a drain hose back to the larger res. The goal is to maintain consistent water level, and thus pressure, in the 5 gallon.

GB