What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

GastroGrower's Ganja Garden

GastroGrower

Well hey there. Thanks for checking out my new thread. I'm going to use this for any random updates around my garden. Coming up first I'll be running the following hybrids from DTOG.

* Gluebreath x Pink Bazooka (1 plant from seed, 3 clones)
* Karmdown #2 x Pink Bazooka (2 clones)

Here is the Gluebreath mom. I was out of town for a while a few weeks back and it was fed just water by my roommate. Ended up with some deficiency issues and it's taken a bit to bounce back. She's doing a lot better now and will be moving into the flower tent as soon as the clones root successfully. This picture was taken right after I took clones so it still needs to be trimmed up a bit.

picture.php

The Karmdown clones were transplanted into coco 19 days ago. I've got the PPM to the point where they're not showing any burn any more and looking to be growing well.

Clone #1
picture.php

Clone #2
picture.php

I have a new 2' x 4' drain table which should be arriving in a week or so. Once that comes in I'll get it installed to replace the waterfarm units and top these clones. Once topped, I'll install a screen and start training both of them. If the GB clones are ready to transplant then I'll get them into coco as well, but probably won't be scrogging them.

Here is what my setup is/will be for this tent.

240 Watt COB light (details: https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?p=7640910#post7640910)
2' x 4' x 5' tent
Botanicare nutrients currently running around 350 - 400 ppm. Fed on a drip system 5 times/day during lights on.

GastroGrower

Got a lot of work done today in the garden and I couldn't fight the urge to get some more stuff started. Dropped 2 x Barney's Farm Critical Kush and 3 x Buddha Autos in water and hid them away in a cabinet. After totally botching the Tangerine Dream I got from Barneys, I want to redeem myself and try my hand at growing (but also possibly killing) this strain, Haha. The autos I'll probably just put in small coco pots in my veg tent for some extra stuff here and there.

GastroGrower

Today I received the drain table and got it set up in the tent. Also moved one of my 150 Watt LED lights in for the Gluebreath hybrid which will be moving into the bloom tent next Monday.

picture.php

I still need to adjust the lights and move the reservoir to a stand outside of the tent.

The Karmdown clones are doing alright, but are still showing some nutrient issues. Some light purple on stems of new growth - any guess by looking what this is?

picture.php
picture.php
picture.php

I am thinking about cutting the amount of Grow in my reservoir and removing Liquid Karma all together. Get it as simple as possible until they are looking healthy. Here is a quick breakdown of their feeding schedule since they were moved to an automated drip system. Run off values were measured from the drain buckets before replacing the reservoir.

11/17
Grow: 15 ml
CalMag: 5 ml
Liquid Karma: 5 ml
RO Water: 3 Gallons
pH: 5.6
PPM: 376

11/21
PPM: 375
Clone 1 Run off: 5.7 / 595
Clone 2 Run off: 5.7 / 571

11/24
PPM: 380

11/28
RO Water: 2.75 Gallons
PPM: 415
Clone 1 Run off: 5.9 / 415
Clone 2 Run off: 5.7 / 495

I'm not sure why the pH of the runoff from clone 1 is higher than the other clone. The plant is a little larger - would a more robust root structure or higher intake impact the pH?

The seeds I started yesterday have all sunk and one of the autos is peaking out.

GastroGrower

Everyone in my shorter flower tent is looking happy. The Gluebreath hybrid is starting to fill out the canopy I'm shaping and the Karmdown clones are increasing in size noticeably, though still showing some minor issues. I refilled the reservoir today with the values I listed in my last post so hopefully this will be a step in the right direction in terms of evening out their nutrient uptake.

This Sunday I'm taking a trip to the hardware store to get supplies for the screen and some lumber to mount all of my power strips and shit on. I'll probably top the Karmdown clones tonight or tomorrow and start training it into the screen next week (assuming I'm able to get it installed).

Gluebreath x Pink Bazooka
picture.php

The two Karmdown #2 x Pink Bazooka clones
picture.php
picture.php
picture.php

justiceman

Veteran
Yo! looking good man. They are starting to perk up and look better than the previous post. Is your mix just coco and perlite? I love me some coco man.

They may still be a bit hungry. Are you still running at 400ppm? That's pretty low. You might want to try going up to 500-600ppm to see if they green up some. I'm not sure I like that you are running your ph at 5.6 in coco. It's best to run at about 5.7-5.9 so it's actually a good thing your runoff happens to be that high.

How often are you watering your coco mix? Also what's your nutrient base, Pure Blend Pro?

I'd suggest starting off by putting in 150-200ppm worth of calmag to start off your next reservoir.
You seem to be running about 5ml per gallon of your base nutrient. That seems very low to me. I'd use it to bump up the rez to sit at about a total of 500-600ppm after the calmag addition at a ph of 5.8 and I'd personally skip the liquid karma but that's up to you. Every additive takes away from the amount of base nutrient you can add. If you still add LK then try to keep it in the 500-600ppm range still.

Last edited:

GastroGrower

Hi Justiceman. These are coco and perlite but I've since dropped the perlite for any new seeds and clones. Every time I had the PPM over 450 - 500 they were showing tip burn so I was afraid to keep running it at that level. I may be able to bring it up now that they are a bit larger. I do pH to 5.5 when I fill the res, but it tends to drift up around 5.6 - 5.7 as it sits there.

I just did actually drop the LK until I can get these girls dialed in, so just doing the Grow and CalMag. As far as feeding goes, I fill a res with 3 gallons of nutrient solution once every two days or so. My pump is set to water for 15 seconds every 4 hours during the day (5 feedings total). I just see a small amount of run off on each plant with this feed duration but they seem to stay well saturated on the bottom of the pots.

justiceman

Veteran
Right on man sounds solid. I like those drip rings you have. Most of my grows have been hand watered. I want to try and set up a drip system too. Are you doing Drain to waste or recirculating with your rez? What kind of timer do you use? I don't have one that has intervals of less than 15min yet yours does 15 seconds.

GastroGrower

Are you doing Drain to waste or recirculating with your rez? What kind of timer do you use? I don't have one that has intervals of less than 15min yet yours does 15 seconds.

Yeah, drain to waste.

What I do is I have a timer with 15 minute intervals (T1) set to turn on for 15 minutes every couple hours. Plugged into that is a cycle timer (T2) set to be on for 15 seconds, then off for 60 minutes. Every time T1 turns on, it activates T2 and runs the pump for 15 seconds. Then the 60 minute interval starts, but only lasts until the 15 minute interval of T1 ends. Once T1 hits another 15 minute interval in a few hours, it restarts the cycle for T2.

justiceman

Veteran
oh I see. that's pretty crafty! I'll have to keep that in mind for when I want to set up a drip system. Looking forward to more updates.

GastroGrower

Both of the Critical Kush are up out of the coco now. The seed in the larger pot is still having trouble getting it's shell off but I'm sure it'll fall eventually. Really excited about getting these girls going.

picture.php

GastroGrower

Karmdown #2 x Pink Bazooka - Day 28 update

Karmdown #2 x Pink Bazooka - Day 28 update

Here are these girls at day 28. I'm hoping to get the scrog installed today and move the Gluebreath hybrid to the flowering tent.

Clone 1
picture.php

Clone 2
picture.php

Group Shot
picture.php

Gluebreath x Pink Bazooka #1
picture.php

GastroGrower

SCROG Successfully Initiated!

SCROG Successfully Initiated!

Got the screen in and the Gluebreath into the flowering tent. I've got it set up with a bit of a curve in it to add some extra canopy space. I also trimmed any growth under the water rings so they'll focus on the upper branches. I've decided I'm going to leave them in the 1 gallon pots through flower for this run, so it may not explode in growth fast enough for my preference, and I may flip to 12/12 a bit before all the edges are filled in. Depending on my budget I may also add another light or two in this tent which will help speed that process up.

Clone 1 is on the left and clone 2 is on the right.

picture.php
picture.php
picture.php
picture.php

justiceman

Veteran
Great call on leaving them in the 1 gallon's. They won't need anything larger. I see you've got a little friend in their! awesome!:biggrin:

That's a nice little Scrog you got going. I'm interested to see how it fills out with that curve.

GastroGrower

Couple updates for today.

Though I'd try my luck at some FastBuds seeds again and started 1 x Mexican Airlines and 1 x Six Shooter. Everything else I got from them in this batch either hasn't germinated or failed shortly thereafter. I started previous seeds from them in the same way and location as the rest of my seeds and have almost 100% germination success otherwise. That said, I've seen plenty of other people have luck with them, so I'll chuck that up to a bad batch - though I'm hoping these will make it.

Both reservoirs are now set up on the same timer and using the same air pump (two stones in each 5 gallon reservoir) and I've placed them in a large plastic bin to catch any unexpected leaks. I didn't get a chance to mount the power backplane, but I'll probably get it taken care of this next weekend.

I snagged a couple pictures of the Gluebreath x Pink Bazooka and Karmdown x Pink Bazooka plants I moved into the flowering tent the other day. I'm starting the week count today.

Gluebreath - needing some attention and training, but starting to bush out a bit after some topping last week. She was on the same reservoir as the Karmdown plants I have in my other tent and I think is just a bit underfed.
picture.php

The Karmdown girl
picture.php
picture.php

GastroGrower

Both of the Critical Kush are up and ready to be backfilled with coco. The Buddha Autos (in the back) are also up and starting to show their first true set of leaves. They look healthy as far as I can tell.

picture.php

GastroGrower

Here's today's update on the Critical Kush. Second set of true leaves are coming in and looking happy. 11 days from germination.

picture.php
picture.php

GastroGrower

A few things to share today.

Both of the Fastbuds seeds have popped and been moved to rockwool cubes and put in my humidity dome. Two of the Gluebreath clones I had taken were moved out of the dome to join my seedlings in the veg tent as they had started to develop a nice looking root structure.

GB x PB Clone
picture.php

The two Karmdown girls are doing ok- noticeably larger than my last update on them - not the fastest growers but I don't have much light on them right now. I've ordered another LED driver and some COBs with heatsinks to expand my light in here to a 500 Watt setup. Once everything gets delivered in a week or two, I'll get it installed and should see a nice jump in growth for these plants. This should get here just in time to help fill out the rest of the SCROG and give the plants an extra boost when they get flipped. It's really hard to fight the urge to put them into flower before the screen fills, but I know it'll be worth it once we get to harvest.

picture.php

GastroGrower

Sadness

Sadness

I was so certain the Karmdown #2 plant I had was throwing female pistils, I got ahead of myself before having it fully tested and today when I checked on the seed plant, I found what I believe are male reproductive parts. I'm assuming this is the case but I'm hoping someone here can verify that these are indeed male before I chuck this plant and tear the others out of my SCROG :(

picture.php
picture.php

Can anyone confirm? I've had hermied plants before that looked similar but I would hate to trash this one and find out later I just misread it. Feeling pretty devastated after wasting all the time on those SSSDH plants that didn't really make it and now having wasted the time growing out this one and the clones in my SCROG.

justiceman

Veteran
Things are looking pretty healthy nice man. Those seedlings look good. I had to start some new seedlings because the coco I got was very high in salt and I didn't check it before planting(dumb move) but now I have some good botanicare coco. I think the easiest nutes to use with pure coco is either (6ml micro/9ml booom from general hydro, Maxibooom, or veg+booom) All of those are simple high quality mixes that provide everything necessary for a good harvest without any wierd ph swings that can happen from organic inputs.

Unfortunatley buddy that is most definitely a male plant. Looks good too! Damn it.

GastroGrower

Hey Justiceman, thanks for the feedback. You're right, I just had this sliver of hope that by asking it may change, haha.

I am actually planning on replacing the clones I had in the SCROG with the Gluebreath hybrid clones I know are female and running that 6/9 formula. I've got some GH nutes I've only used once or twice so I figure it's as good a time to use it on a full run start to finish and see how I like it.

I'll just take this as an excuse to pop some more of those Karmdown #2 x Pink Bazooka seeds.