What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Dutch pilot experiment: LEGALLY growing organic female hemp flowers high in CBD

Only Ornamental

Spiritually inspired agnostic mad scientist
Veteran
HERE you go ;) . See chapter 'quantitative differences' in the discussion part, bottom of the right column page 972.
It's also been published in several other papers and some books.

mexcurandero420

See the world through a puff of smoke
Veteran
Hahaha 120 euros for one box of hemp juice and when i look to the constituents i miss magnesium.I always thought that chlorofyl contains magnesium.As always a lot of bogus on the market, just cash in on the hype.

A few years back a particular pheno found from a local variety which had 15% THC & 11% CBD and sure it is with THC, but with the new hemp varieties allowed in the EU you will never find a 11% CBD pheno.Another point is that THC is needed for the medicinal activity within the human body.

Keep on growing :)

HERE you go ;) . See chapter 'quantitative differences' in the discussion part, bottom of the right column page 972.
It's also been published in several other papers and some books.

Thanks OO, interesting article, especially this part.

''Although CBD was not detected in some chemotype I plants, separate GC analyses in which more highly concentrated
extracts were analyzed show that CBD was indeed present in these plants, but below the threshold of detection in
the present study (K. Hillig, unpublished data, Indiana University). This may also be the case in other studies that reported
the absence of CBD in certain drug strains (summarized in Baker et al., 1980). About 5% as much THC relative to CBD was produced in chemotype III plants, which is close to the 4% value reported by Fournier and Paris (1980). Reasons for the low level production of CBD in chemotype I plants and of THC in chemotype III plants are unknown. De Meijer et al. (2003) hypothesized that more than one variant of the CBD-acid synthase and/or THC-acid synthase alleles are present in the Cannabis gene pool and that these variant alleles encode allozymes with different catalytic efficiencies.''

KiefSweat

Veteran
cbd is def a controlled substance and the letter agencies def don't want you claiming its got health benefits if your selling it across state lines.

G.O. Joe

Veteran
Synthetic CBD completely free of any THC is legal in the US (except states like CT that specifically name it in statute), for incense at least - as long as the precursors olivetol and menthadienols aren't made from cannabis. It would be expensive to manufacture, but not as much as many other drugs. Some big pharmer must have crunched numbers, but worries about image and pissing off the feds - who aren't in a position to retaliate, because they want to make the epileptic girls go away, without doing anything. Someone in India or China at least should have been on this by now.

Last edited:

Only Ornamental

Veteran
One major problem is the lack of patentability (of the plant and the synthesis).
See, even if evidence points towards a super safe drug, all the tox screens and clinical trials have to be done. This costs several millions and a lot of time. If one company does it all the others could use the results too and sell their own CBD without spending anything upfront and just cash in. It's one of the reasons why many many medicinal plants aren't investigated, aren't classified as medicine, aren't sold for anything other than as ornamentals or spices.

USO-31 is a B0/allele type, not a Bd.I don't think they used it for the developed CBD-varieties.

A Dutch pharmacy is gonna make CBD oil i read today.

http://pgmcg.nl/medicinale-wietolie-legaal-verkrijgbaar-in-apotheek-nederland-positief-of-negatief-spuiten-en-slikken-bnn/

I'm curious what is going to come out of this. Here's a 5 minute video (DUTCH) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PtUn_J1bfkg

From what I understand it's CBD oil only and it will only be prescribed for certain illnesses like epilepsie and as a general treatment for pain. So it's not a free for all. This particular Dutch pharmacy is expected to provide the oil somewhere this year. So legal hoops have still to be jumped.

Arno Hazekamp is involved in this as well.

G.O. Joe

Veteran
One major problem is the lack of patentability (of the plant and the synthesis).

There isn't anything unpatentable about a process to manufacture CBD, but you don't need a patent to make profits on chemical or drug manufacturing.

See, even if evidence points towards a super safe drug, all the tox screens and clinical trials have to be done. This costs several millions and a lot of time. If one company does it all the others could use the results too and sell their own CBD without spending anything upfront and just cash in.

That's a little dramatic, but regulatory approval is in the works and there is needless to say great interest, so expect results soon. Synthetic CBD could be sold today in headshops in the US with the synthetic cannabinoids and bath salts, no patents or clinical trials, but it isn't.

Focusing on CBD MMJ could come back to bite everyone if the regulators say, OK, have your CBD - synthetic, now go away. It's a possible future until law is on the side of farming CBD.

Only Ornamental

Veteran
Sure you can patent anything until someone else proves you invalid. CBD is a natural and already sold product and per se non patentable plus several realistic synthetic routes are already published which means you can not protect a non-protected product by protecting it's production. The big pharma companies rely on patents to ensure a revenue which is coupled at a monopole position and a better revenue than the competition.
It's that simple and nearly purely marketing (and very stupid but alas).
There's nothing to gain here, at least not from the perspective of Roche or Novartis whereas smaller companies which deal in phytomedicine (not drug growing) simply don't have the needed coin.

Santalum

The manufacture of CBD via sythetic pathways could most certainly be patented in just the same way as Firmenich patented the synthetic production of the sandalwood sesquiterpene alpha-santalol via yeast. But this will only be done if industrial production generates a far cheaper product that what natural farming production could. Question is will natural farming methods ever be allowed by the removal of governmental bureacracy to produce cheap CBD? Personally I doubt it and think expensive CBD is here to stay.

karl.uk

Hi all,
Your advise please.
Is it possible from your plant to remove all the THC and leave only the CBD, Terpenes etc etc.
If this is posssible what technic would you employ....?
Furthermore a end product NOT containing any THC, would it need approval under our FSA, to sell as a food supplement ? or could it be sold as something else to get over this issue ?
Your thoughts guys

HFT

Dear HFT,
Why do you want to grow Uso-31 and Finola in central Italy? These are good for northern climates and do also well in central Europe but for Italy... growing Finola might be tricky and you would have to figure out somehow when to saw them.
Also, the southern ecotypes which should grow nicely in your region, contain more and better smelling essential oil. Why don't you grow for example Carmagnola? Too tall?
Besides, all EU registered varieties are very unlikely to produce more than 0.2% THC even under perfect conditions. Most of all, Uso-31 is a nearly cannabinoid-free variety.

You should contact the CRA-CIN Centro di Ricerca per le Colture Industriali, Via di Corticella 133, 40128 Bologna, Italy.
One of their publications could be interesting for you: CLICK.

Hi guys! Sorry if I answer only now but these days we're very engaged to organize the new season and many other things.
Actually it would be better to have here in Italy native genetic or at least stabilized and replicated in ours microclimate where cultivation takes place.
Unfortunately Assocanapa, the first association that promoted the cultivation of hemp in Italy, since in Italy was again possible, since 1998, has not done it and they don't give native genetics for the italian farmers.
In about 20 years, Assocanapa have made available nowadays only Carmagnola and Carmagnola Selezionata. Both good for the shives but decidedly poor for seeds.
From about one year, another company began to stabilize and replicate a variety registered with the CRA, the Eletta Campana (Carmagnola x German cultivar(Fasamo?) ) but is not yet available on the market. However even this variety does not excel for the production of seeds.
Is to calculate that if someone want to do business with industrial hemp in Italy, currently, it is not convenient to cultivate for fiber or wood. And this is absurd with the prestige that we had in 1900 for our hemp varieties naturally selected over the years with our italian microclimate.
Unfortunately the only two existing factory for the processing of stem in Italy are made by Assocanapa and positioned one on the north and one to the south of Italy and most importantly, do not make material qualitatively competitive in comparison to the major competitors in Europe, the French. Also the raw material they do, it costs more than the French, so if small farmers do not organize themselves and work derived from the seed and the inflorescences, the game is not economically sustainable.
I've heard several times about the proff. Grassi of CRA-CIN , they have crossed and recorded several varieties, but they are not seed company and then occasionally make some announcement to sell the opportunity to begin the process of stabilization and replication of their registered varieties . In a few days should be out on their website, the notice for three crossings but actually I can not remember the names ...
However the process is not difficult to create a new variety certified:
It would be enough to collaborate with a research institute recognized as the CRA or a university, and from two existing genetic, begin the process of selection, stabilization and reproduction of seeds. This precudere takes about 4 or 5 years. With this you will surely have a better genetic, stabilized in the microclimate where it was cultivated and so it will be more productive.
In Italy the most of the certified hemp seeds market is of Assocanapa that has exclusive rights for Italy of French genetic, then the major genetic currently grown are the Futura-75, the Felina the Fedora etc. that in Italy over the stem give an average of about 500 / 600kg. of seed per hectare, while in France the same varieties produce an average of 1000kg. of seed over the stem.
For some years is cultivating also the Uso-31 that give higher yields of seeds.
Eventually these genetic originate in the north, they behave like the classic autoflowering cannabis indica plants, and planting them with maximum photoperiod of our Italian microclimate we can still get good yields.

HFT

@HFT Good to hear about your project! I looked at the photo's on FaceBook looks great! Growing super tall, nothing like Finola. How did you harvest and process your crops? And is that you hemp wood, and is so how did you do the decortication?

As for the strain choice I second Only Ournamental.

Maybe you want to contact Dr. Gianpaolo Grassi (CRA-CIN, Industrial Crop Research Center, Italy).

He's presenting at EIHA in May on the evaluation of CBD content of different varieties and environment conditions to have high concentration of cannabinoids in the plants. He is based in Italy so...

Hi Dutch HempCBD! Thanks, the past year we produced only for food products, this year we are changing the production and in addition with the food products we are going to also use the flowers for different extractions in collaboration with a chemistry professor from an university near us.

HFT

Nice photos :yes: but why did you choose Finola for the essential oil???

Hi mexcurandero!
We need of a dioecious genetic to make an all female field for encrease the cannabinoid and avoid pollination.
Finola seeds are easy avaible by the website http://www.finola.fi but when I told to Jace of the site that I would to plant Finola to make extracions, he as never reply to me. I dont know why.

Then now we dont have any dioecious genetic... do you guy have some to buy? We want to plant about 3ha of only female plants, then we nedd of about 150kg. of seeds

Hi HFT,

I was wondering.. how much would you pay per kilo of feminized seeds of a registered (UE) dioecious strain with an average content of 6-7% CBD? and how much if it were a very early flowering with CBD > 10%??

ps - come si dice in bocca al lupo tra canapicoltori?... pare che finalmente stanno lavorando a un decreto legge, con limite di THC all' 1%. :))

Last edited: