What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

EC Levels at different stages of growth using Pure Blend Pro?

ballplayer 2

Hey guys, i know that Pure Blend Pro does register on EC/PPM meters. Im not sure how accurate, or akin to chemical fertilizer EC/PPM those reads are. However, that is not necessarily what i am wondering for this thread.

When I follow the mixing instructions on the PBP feed chart, or hit my elemental ppm numbers my mix typically hovers between 2.2-2.4 EC. I have a feeling that might be too strong.

Should i follow the typical EC strength guidelines of chemical fertilizers for specific stage of growth with the PBP line?

For example EC recommendations during various stages:
0.8-1.0 EC for extended seedling/early veg growth
1.0-1.4 EC for veg growth
1.4-1.6 EC during flower

So i would follow the Botanicare feeding instructions and then dilute the full strength mix to desired EC levels for the given stage.

I have also found that even when using a Cal/Mag product (in my case cali-magic by GH) I require a supplemental dose of epsom salt of about 1/8-1/4 tsp gallon (am thinking of possibly adding Botanicare Sweet to my lineup in the future).

Any help/input/personal feeding schedules would be greatly appreciated. Thank you for your help.

mowood3479

Veteran
I grow in coco using heads mix (there is a thread on it here in coco forum)... I use pbp at 5ml veg 15ml bloom per gallon for fresh rooted clones thru week 6-7 of flower in which I drop the veg altogether.
I've tried a lot of different companies and recipes and this 5/15 with pbp has worked great for for me for a few years.
And yes I think the 2.4 ec (running off the pbp feed chart) is probably too hot.. I'd try it at 3/4 or even 1/2 that strength....

ballplayer 2

How often are you giving fertilizer? ie., Every water?Feed, water, feed, water?

Do you pay attention to EC at all?

Thank you for the input. Much appreciated.

Zen Medz

Lot's of info on using PBP products on IC, very few people follow the feeding schedule. Mowood's suggestion of 5 ml veg + 15 ml bloom = 20 ml/gal! That seems overkill for clones IMHO. I wouldn't feed clones or young plants any more than 5-10 ml of PBP veg. Your soil/media and water play a big role in your nute levels. I have gone back to using PBP Veg and Bloom soil formula in both coco and Promix HP with low EC tap water and have been happy.

I think Botanicares feeding schedule is way to hot but could work for some people or strains. I've been happy with 5-10ml/gal of PBP Veg with 2.5 ml of calmag and 2.5 ml of silica through week 1 of flower. Week 2 and 3 of flower I do 5 ml veg and 5ml bloom with calmag and silica, week 4 10 ml bloom, drop silica, week 5-7 8 ml bloom with your choice of a bloom product, hydroplex, kool bloom etc. I think PBP is also low in sulfur so I add 1/8 tsp of epsom salt throughout the grow. Flush for 1.5-2 weeks at the end. I also like to add compost teas weekly, molasses, guano, seaweed, F+, liquid karma, whatever I have on hand. In coco I'll flush once a week, in soil/soiless I like feed, feed, water. I'm feeding once a day in promix, in coco I've fed 3-5 x a day with good results. Going back to coco next run. Good luck!

ballplayer 2

Oh jeez, duh! That's my fault. I read you were in coco, and totally forgot by the time I typed the reply. Of course you would be feeding everyday considering your substrate is coco.

I am growing in sunshine mix(soil-less). Nonetheless, i have some coco and may give it a try soon.

Thank you for your help.

mowood3479

Veteran
I used the same schedule when I used sunshine mix but only did a fertigation every other day... N I also used to water down 20% for young clones... But found I was getting mag issues more often... Ur mileage may vary

ballplayer 2

Thank you for the reply Zen Medz, terrific detail.

I am also growing in soil-less mix and using RO water. Tap water here is 1.2-1.4 EC, very hard and alkaline.

During full bloom i was using 4 ml of Cali-magic, 5ml PBP Veg, 10ml PBP bloom for soil, 2ml silica blast (ph control and added silica/potassium), and 1/8 tsp epsom.

I believe i may have overfed a bit as I followed their schedule and it says to feed with every watering. Plus i was battling a Mag deficiency through some of veg, didnt realize how much PBP was lacking in Mag (so then started adding epsom).

Zen, are you typically feeding 1x week? with the other irrigation being either plain water, or a compost/booster(liquid K, F+ etc.)

Thank you for the help.

Zen Medz

Thank you for the reply Zen Medz, terrific detail.

I am also growing in soil-less mix and using RO water. Tap water here is 1.2-1.4 EC, very hard and alkaline.

During full bloom i was using 4 ml of Cali-magic, 5ml PBP Veg, 10ml PBP bloom for soil, 2ml silica blast (ph control and added silica/potassium), and 1/8 tsp epsom.

I believe i may have overfed a bit as I followed their schedule and it says to feed with every watering. Plus i was battling a Mag deficiency through some of veg, didnt realize how much PBP was lacking in Mag (so then started adding epsom).

Zen, are you typically feeding 1x week? with the other irrigation being either plain water, or a compost/booster(liquid K, F+ etc.)

Thank you for the help.

I'm currently using a mix that is 70% promix Hp, 25% ready gro (coco w/ perlite) and 5% compost w/ earth worm castings. With this mix I've been watering my plants about every day or two, couple plants are fed every 2-3 days. I'm in 5 gal smart pots, mixed strain grow with plants that are 2-3 ft tall under a 1k hps. I'm 4 weeks into flower and my pots are mostly filled up with roots, in early to mid veg I was only watering every 3-4 days.

I'm doing a feed, feed, water schedule now and everyone is happy. I feed a aerated compost tea about once a week. I feed about 4 times a week with nutes and the other couple days with water or a tea. With peat based mixes you really need to make sure you're not over watering and that you're flushing on a regular basis with plain water.

Your above nute schedule looks like it's a bit much even in flower, 12 ml PBP bloom, 2-5 ml calmag, 2ml silica with 1/8 tsp epsom should be good IMHO. If you want to use a bloom booster drop the base nutes at least 20%. Less is more. You can always add more nutrients if your plants need them. If you're over fertilizing it's hard to figure out the problem some times. Cheers.

ballplayer 2

Thank you for the help and clarification.

Anyone else use the full Botanicare lineup? What dosages are proving successful for you?

A bit late on the reply, but I figure I'll throw in my thoughts.

Last run, in much smaller pots, I fed 5ml CalMag, and 15ml PBP soil Bloom, and 3-4ml KSil, per gallon of RO water. They got this every time, 1-2 times per day (as roots filled in). Veg was only for a week or two (maybe 3). Results were great, and in mid flower I topdressed with some guano to combat the P def I saw twice before.

This time, plants are in much bigger pots, veggin much longer, and getting the exact same mix. (5/15/+KSil to pH)
However, they seem much less happy, I cant tell if they want more food, or if they are building salts in the soil.

most soil mixes are a combination of FFOF, Perlite, Coco, and a generous supply of Worm Castings/ Compost/ Humus.

G

I still use PBP as a base nute. I typically follow a recipe posted by a guy named Neptune a few years back. His recipe was 10ml PBP grow/bloom/soil bloom (depending on your stage/setting) and 3ml cal/mg+ per gallon.
I add more to that, but one can pull off very nice quality with just that simple recipe.

dissolute

honestly I have a friend who runs grow/soil bloom at FULL strength right on the bottles, in 50/50 coco/big perlite with NO flush and he doesn't burn them and they taste fine. they usually finish with green leaves, with soil bloom through week 2. good environment though. hand waters when the 5g pots feel light. 18z per 600.

try it at full strength first if you have enough humidity. feed rates are hugely affected by humidity.