What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

New Colorado caregiver limits

hellfire

I keep seeing folks mention "AG". Such a designation makes no difference when it comes to weed/plant counts. It's a Statewide rule no matter what PUD designation you are living under.

Wrong.

HB 1220
The bill places a cap on the number of plants that can be possessed or grown on a residential property at 16 plants unless a local jurisdiction permits possessing or growing more than 16 plants.

(II) (A) REGARDLESS OF WHETHER THE PLANTS ARE FOR MEDICAL
OR RECREATIONAL USE, IT IS UNLAWFUL FOR A PERSON TO KNOWINGLY
CULTIVATE, GROW, OR PRODUCE MORE THAN TWELVE MARIJUANA PLANTS
ON OR IN A RESIDENTIAL PROPERTY; OR TO KNOWINGLY ALLOW MORE THAN
TWELVE MARIJUANA PLANTS TO BE CULTIVATED, GROWN, OR PRODUCED ON
OR IN A RESIDENTIAL PROPERTY

The house committee brought up the fact that ag properties would not be affected during the hearing. During the hearing there was a woman from Eastern CO that explained she had ag property then the bill committee told her she would not be affected by it.

I suggest everyone reads through the bill. HB1220 has no mention of agriculture zoning in it.

MJPassion

Observer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
“Any patient or caregiver who is registered with the local government can grow up to 24 plants at home,” said Rep. Becker. “That covers 92 percent of all patients and caregivers, and then those who need more than 24 plants can petition their local government for a variance or they can grow it in a non-residential setting.”

Looks like grows of more than 24 plants are ok at multiple residences or on non residential zoned properties.

I'd still like to see this challenged (as a constitutional violation [especially in the case of medical]) but it's likely that it will not happen OR if it does, the challenge will be thrown out of court.

MJPassion

Observer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Plant counts are pretty disingenuous, imo, for the purpose of controlling a given operators production rates.

A limit to grow (cannopy) area would serve the purpose far more effectively.

I mean... A person could do 100 plants @ 1/sq/ft in a 10 x 10 area or they could do 4 huge 5x5 plants.
No counting necessary... Just a tape measure.

Smart producers that grow for the BM will just learn to grow 5+lb plants!

monsoon

I stand corrected. However, check those tax bills....because I live in an Agriculturally designated PUD on every map there is available....yet...according to my county...because I pay RESIDENTIAL taxes, not AG taxes, I do not fall under "Ag" allowances.

Either way...we are losing rights every year...and that's why we ignore all of it here.

macdiesel

So if you tell your local government, you can grow up to 24 residentially....so if you're not growing residentially, what's the limit then? Too much haze

shaggyballs

Veteran
I tried to warn ya'll this was going to happen, but I was called chicken little for saying so.
Be prepared for more regulation in the future.
Maybe even elimination of residential grows altogether.
I still say vote no, before it is too late!
But in CO. it is already too late, so get ready for the corporate cannabis takeover.
Medical will soon be a thing of the past, but this sort of thing can not happen without a vote of the people right...LOL:biggrin:
Shag

MJPassion

Observer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
So if you tell your local government, you can grow up to 24 residentially....so if you're not growing residentially, what's the limit then? Too much haze

The powers that be will tell you something too the effect of... "per property"...

Just a guess...

macdiesel

I honestly don't worry about this stuff guys. Even though I've had 99 plant count cards every year while they were legal, I still ran a tight ship. Nice to neighbors, helped them out, always had double filters on everything, didn't do sketchy things, etc etc.

Reality is, if the police ever come knocking, they're not coming in without a warrant. There is no way to "smell" how many plants you have. 12 plants can smell like 99. Be respectful, but don't let them in. Unless you're out of line and being unprofessional, I don't see plant counts in legal states as a problem. Doesn't keep me up at night.

hellfire

Medical will soon be a thing of the past, but this sort of thing can not happen without a vote of the people right...LOL:biggrin:
Shag

There are several counties in CO that have already put up counts higher than the state. Some are also instituting a pay to play option basically, charging you for any plants over their selected count. While that is highway robbery...at least some people won't be going to jail for their plants.

macdiesel

There are several counties in CO that have already put up counts higher than the state. Some are also instituting a pay to play option basically, charging you for any plants over their selected count. While that is highway robbery...at least some people won't be going to jail for their plants.

I've heard/read this. Know of anywhere on the web with a list of these counties and their accepted plant counts?