What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

What’s the best choice?

Michiganman

Looking at doing 6 to 8 plants at a time. I plan on growing in dirt and letting them get about 3 to 4 foot tall. I am using a spare room with air conditioning if needed. So no heat issues or anything. What would be better two 600 watt hps lights or one 1000 watt light? Thanks I’m advance

Spaventa

Veteran
2 x 600w. Better efficiency lumen/watt and better spread of light. Also means you can run 1 at early stages and bring second on when ready.

Oh and 1200w is better than 1000. More is more.

1000s do penetrate more but at the height you are going to, not a big factor.

dank.frank

ef.yu.se.ka.e.em
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I'll second what was said, except I'd suggest getting 2 x 630w CMH vs 2 x 600 HPS.

dank.Frank

Spaventa

Veteran
I’d rather run 4 x 315w CMH than 2 x 630w. Nice even spread of light rather than 2 hotspots. Also timing them to come and go off in a sequence allows you to more closely simulate natural transitions.

Snook

Still Learning
Veteran
they're right 2X315W CMH.
And not sure where youre living but house hold AC alone will not drop temps enough.
I find that grow room temps are about 10-12 degrees higher than ambient household temps (more with 1KHPS).
Running a window shaker cut into the grow room (lung) wall set at 69*F with household set at 71*F returns temps 78*F(+/-2*F) in the tent.

MJPassion

Observer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
More points of light are better than single points of light simply due to the shading factor.