What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Botanicare Users Formula Thread PBP and others

LostTribe

Premium user
OK so there are lots of Nutrient lines out there but the one I always go back to is Botanicare Pure Blend Pro. I love everything about using it. Works perfectly with my RO water with minimal PH adjustments with the following mix. I have had the best results with using only cal mag +, and PBP in flower in dutch bucket hydro. Didnt even have to adjust. 5ml/15ml cal/bloom.

Now I am using the following.

Veg
CalMag+ 5ml/gal
Botanicare PBP Grow 15ml/gal
Hydroguard 3 ml/gal
sm90 3ml/gal
Liquid Karma 10ml/gal(I believe this is just snake oil not a fan of amino acids in hydro just not sure though but still using it in veg and to week 3 in bloom)
ph 5.7

Bloom
CalMag+ 5ml/gal
PBP bloom 15-20ml/gal
hydroguard 3ml/gal
sm90 3ml/gal
hydroplex 3ml/gal
Liquid Karma at 10ml/gal until week 3 ends then no more.
ph 5.7

I have tried the kiss method, lucas, gh 3, flora nova, and earth juice. This is my go to and I haven't seen anything that can touch it. Just top off with same mix and adjust ph. Dump every 2-3 weeks in bloom. Last 7-10 days clearex 3ml/gal straight RO last 3 days plus. Big Buds and sticky fragrant results in an easy to use mix.

I never use sweet anyone have opinions on that? Feel like the hydroplex and the LK are not needed.

FunkBomb

Power Armor rules
Veteran
I use organic potting soils with added perlite, dolomite lime, and Down To Earth Starter Mix. I only use PBP Bloom for soil, Cal-Mag, and Fulvex. Everything else is not necessary.

Fulvex is used every watering at 5ml/gal and its amazing. OMRI listed and has all the micros plants want. Wonderful growth rates all around.

Cal-Mag is used at 5ml/gal and is used every other watering depending if the plant is a cal mag hog. Non-hog plants you can take that down to once a week because PBP Bloom for soil has calcium and magnesium in it.

The real magic is the PBP Bloom for soil. 15 ml/gal every watering from week 3-7 depending on flowering times. Just water once around week 5 to keep from getting salt buildups. Flush with water the last week before harvest and thats it. I don't usually check pH because dolomite lime is amazing. Adding extra dolomite lime to your soil usually means less use of Cal-Mag which is nice.

I've used Sweet, Liquid Karma, Hydroplex, and Silica Blast and saw no difference at harvest so I don't use them.

-Funk

F_T_P!

Sounds legit, I always get tasty, frosty buds with PBP. How are your yields compared to your other nute programs?

FunkBomb

Power Armor rules
Veteran
I had similar results when I used Roots Organics Buddha Grow/Bloom/HPK. All the fertilizer lines out there work well, it all comes down to how simple you want your system to be. I've found that good soil and PBP Bloom (soil version 1-4-5) is about as easy as it gets - quality and quantity both A+.

-Funk

Lester Beans

Frequent Flyer
Veteran
Botanicare has been my nutrient of choice going on a decade or more. You could grow amazing herb with just a bottle of bloom only. Great stuff.

So of course they go and change the stuff. I'm done with Botanicare. Last few cycles the results are not up to par and it has given the flowers a peculiar flavor. Major disappoint for me.

I have not decided what line I will go with now. I really liked how clean the line was, no clogging in hydroponics.

I used PBP
Cal/mag
Hydroplex

Along with Protekt SI
Advanced Overdrive
Hygrozyme

So basically I just need to replace PBP, cal/mag, and hydroplex.

I liked Advanced Big Bud which I used for years so that will sub for the Hydroplex.

Guess I'll be doing some side by sides to see which base works the best.

I'll report back once I figure out what nutrient I will be using.

LostTribe

Premium user
Botanicare has been my nutrient of choice going on a decade or more. You could grow amazing herb with just a bottle of bloom only. Great stuff.

So of course they go and change the stuff. I'm done with Botanicare. Last few cycles the results are not up to par and it has given the flowers a peculiar flavor. Major disappoint for me.

I have not decided what line I will go with now. I really liked how clean the line was, no clogging in hydroponics.

I used PBP
Cal/mag
Hydroplex

Along with Protekt SI
Advanced Overdrive
Hygrozyme

So basically I just need to replace PBP, cal/mag, and hydroplex.

I liked Advanced Big Bud which I used for years so that will sub for the Hydroplex.

Guess I'll be doing some side by sides to see which base works the best.

I'll report back once I figure out what nutrient I will be using.

I am not aware that they have made any changes....I'm still getting the same results.

FunkBomb

Power Armor rules
Veteran
I've noticed that PBP Bloom for soil is not as thick as it used to be years ago. With that said I still get great results with it at 15 ml/gal with minimal leaf tip burning.

-Funk

Top_shelf_farms

I just harvested an amazing room using pure blend pro , cal-mag, mammoth p and fasilitor. I'm also looking for a pure blend replacement.... I'll be putting a few different lines up against it next run. It really does work good though, super easy....
Edit: that was in roots organic soil...

Last edited:

LostTribe

Premium user
I just harvested an amazing room using pure blend pro , cal-mag, mammoth p and fasilitor. I'm also looking for a pure blend replacement.... I'll be putting a few different lines up against it next run. It really does work good though, super easy....
Edit: that was in roots organic soil...

Why are you looking for a replacement if you just harvested an "amazing room using PBP"?

I don't see any difference in this nutrient line since it first came out. I ran old Pure Blend Original for the first time about 10 years ago. The PBP has the same ingredients as well as the same NPK ratios. I do not see any difference in the thickness of the nutes as it has always been watery, never thick like Earth Juice.

The bottle label designs have changed but as far as whats in the bottle I see no difference. Same PH fluctuations too.

Can anyone confirm anything from Botanicare or was that just one persons experience?

I am gonna check with botanicare although I am satisfied with my results and have gotten new bottles pretty recently.

Vanilla Phoenix

Super Lurker
ICMag Donor
I've been using PBP and supplements for atleast a decade. I've always gotten good results. I have recently went thru a bottle of PBP grow that wasnt as dark as usual. Was a little worried at first but still got the same great results as always.

I am about to try an organic water only soil. Got it mixed up now letting it cook before I plant in it. Only reason I want to switch is because I have started growing more plants and would like to make things easier. I'm already thinking my yield will probably go down using the organic soil, but hopefully not by too much.

Overall, PBP is a great, easy to use nutrient. It's good by itself, but to really unlock its potential you need to use some of Botanicare's supplements. I would highly recommend their Liquid Karma and Hydroplex. Having a bottle of their Calmag around wouldn't hurt either. :yes: And don't forget the silica. :)

LostTribe

Premium user
I've been using PBP and supplements for atleast a decade. I've always gotten good results. I have recently went thru a bottle of PBP grow that wasnt as dark as usual. Was a little worried at first but still got the same great results as always.

I am about to try an organic water only soil. Got it mixed up now letting it cook before I plant in it. Only reason I want to switch is because I have started growing more plants and would like to make things easier. I'm already thinking my yield will probably go down using the organic soil, but hopefully not by too much.

Overall, PBP is a great, easy to use nutrient. It's good by itself, but to really unlock its potential you need to use some of Botanicare's supplements. I would highly recommend their Liquid Karma and Hydroplex. Having a bottle of their Calmag around wouldn't hurt either. :yes: And don't forget the silica. :)

Heard back from Botanicare and they have NOT changed the Pro series at all over the past several years other than the labels. Good to know!

A

Ashin Kusher

So are you guys who are using the PBP Bloom "Soil" nutrient using it with Promix?

Lester Beans

Frequent Flyer
Veteran
Nice on contacting Botanicare LT!

I have to disagree with them. The def changed the NPK ratios within the last five years. I'll look for the old bottle and snap a pic.

The new stuff, bought new bottles a few months ago, is much lighter in color and not as strong. I need much more of the product to get the ppms up to where I desire.

This all seems to have happened when Scotts bought the company.

When the labels changed last so did the NPK.

I have a tray going now of Botanicare fed plants and they look great. We will see if the result has the same funky flavor as last time.

I am definitely not bashing Botanicare, for years they provided a great product, I am just noting the differences I have observed.

Happy growing!

sturgeongeneral

Veteran
They definately did change the npk within the past couple years, ive been usimg it for about the past 5 years in my trays and i remember seeing it on the bottles when i was mixing. It was aroumd the time they changed the label. I use their grow, bloom,calmag,and sometimes sweet. I cut the LK as i didnt see a noticeable difference.
I also run some promix plants and just feed the regular grow and bloom to them.

FreedomGrower

Veteran
Weird ... I just mixed up a batch ... and it came back the 1000ppm with ro water it has always given me in the last 10 years ... I just use ro an PBP hydro ... till week 7 ... then soil ... with hydro I use no additives ... with soil I use humic/fulvic, calmag, molasses, Micro's / teas ... with a pk boost in week 6-7 ...

sturgeongeneral

Veteran
Npk change. Old and new label.
picture.php

FunkBomb

Power Armor rules
Veteran
I have a new quart of PBP Bloom for soil and the NPK is 1-4-5. That is what it has been since I started using it about a decade ago.

-Funk

LostTribe

Premium user
Weird ... I just mixed up a batch ... and it came back the 1000ppm with ro water it has always given me in the last 10 years ... I just use ro an PBP hydro ... till week 7 ... then soil ... with hydro I use no additives ... with soil I use humic/fulvic, calmag, molasses, Micro's / teas ... with a pk boost in week 6-7 ...

I also get the same readings with the same input amounts....I think its the same as I get the exact same results. I even tried the soil PBP and it ended up pretty much the same as my hydroponics which I normally run in.

I googled pbp and checked out images of the old bottles and the NPK has in fact changed. The old formula was 2.5-2-5 for the bloom. Which is more of a Veg NPK in my mind, so since I still get the same great results I think its still great!

Either way I am sticking with it. Love it! PBP for the win! If you want to add a bit of PBP grow and that ought to get you back to close to original. Actually you could just run the veg all the way through but I will take the added Phosphorous over the high N any day. In hydro once you get to week 3-4 you really wont see the plants needing that much Nitrogen. I know because I did a test run with 1-5-4 soil formula in straight hydroton and still got similar results. Its the actual ingredients which I feel produce the final results.