What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Best 600 watt ballast on a budget

SofaKingStupid

I'm wanting to run 6 x 600 watt hps in a 14' x 14' room. What are the best ballasts I can get while I'm on a budget? At this point cheep is good. I can do upgrades after the first or second harvest. Our house's are butt up against each other here though and I was just a little concerned about rf distortion. Any good thoughts?

blazeoneup

The Helpful One
Chat Moderator
Veteran
Copy and past the following into amazon search bar, These are the best priced digital ballast I have found. I have some of them atm they run much cooler then any other brand of digital ballast I have ever run. They are complete with a new bulb hood hangers and everything needed. Not gonna find better pricing anywhere that I know of for new merchandise.

The 2 possible options, 1 600w ballast with bulb, hood, hangers and timer 138.99 plus 12$ shipping.
1 600w ballast with 1 hps and 1 mh bulb, light hangers, hood, and timer. 151.96 plus 12.99 shipping.

Search the following term in amazon.
Powermaxx GLSET600U 600

MrBungle

sun systems hardcore models and hydrofarms SG and valuline models are pretty affordable.... I like the SGs cause they have a built in switchable hood outlet so you can use either types of plugs, either types of bulbs (hps or mh) on 240 v or 120v

SofaKingStupid

Thanks all! I found the Powermaxx GLSET600CT6. I think it's what Blazeoneup recommended but with Cooltubes. Bout a buck fitty. Real nice! ... I didn't know metal outlet boxes reduce rfi. That's what ya mean ain't it FlyByNite?

Fly by Night

Like a Wing
Veteran
Yeh it's not how close your neighbors are. But whether the RF uses conduit as an antenna. Grounding at the box has been most effective whew

SofaKingStupid

Good to know FlyByNight. I'm getting the powermaxx ballasts will the the Cooltubes. 6 of them. We got central air and the room is in the basement so I don't think I'll have much trouble keeping it round 74f. I'm gonna divert a vent for my flowers. ..Now I have to figure out how many cfm I have to move through the cooltubes so my bulbs stay cool. I'm gonna shoot the heat rite up through the chimney.

blazeoneup

The Helpful One
Chat Moderator
Veteran
Good to know FlyByNight. I'm getting the powermaxx ballasts will the the Cooltubes. 6 of them. We got central air and the room is in the basement so I don't think I'll have much trouble keeping it round 74f. I'm gonna divert a vent for my flowers. ..Now I have to figure out how many cfm I have to move through the cooltubes so my bulbs stay cool. I'm gonna shoot the heat rite up through the chimney.

I've gotta ask you one question, Do you have electric hot water tank or a high 90%+ gas or electric furnace?

The reason I ask is if you have old style hot water tank and furnace where it uses a metal duct to the chimney to exhaust, By running your high cfm exhaust fan into that chimney creating a strong negative pressure on the vent pipes could cause your pilot lights to be put out. So be sure to check into that before just venting your fan into the chimney stack.

Gry

I currently have quite a few 600 Watt units that have been used but are rock solid on ebay.