What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

What is biggest tent for 315cmh?

nukklehead

Lurking/learning these 315cmh's... From reading other posts is 1 315cmh too small for a 4x4 tent or should I look at a 3x3??

Thanks

Nuk

nukklehead

So how many can effectively be grown with that space ? 3-4?

Please no flames .. Ive been growing 8-10 under a 1k for over 12 years and Im getting old and time to downsize... I do know what the search function is just havent found a specific answer to the question.

Lets assume a 50/50 sat/ind hybrid with ability to scrog/fim/supercrop/train/whatever and veg
as long as I want/need to.

Just slowing down and only to supply myself and 1 other patient.

Respect,

Nukklehead

Coughie

I currently run 600 HPS in 4 x 4 and have been thinking about trying a 315 cmh

I've heard that 315 cmh is comparable to 400-500 watts of HPS?
Or a 3 x 3 ft square?

But that last 6 inches around the outside of the 4x4 is "iffy" anyway, if the 315 covers a *solid* 3x3..

If it's a 2.5 x 2.5 and you rely on reflectivity for the last 6" perimeter of the 3 x 3, it alters things a bit..

But like OP, I haven't found these answers anywhere..
Sorry if I derailed at all, but.. Kinda tired of wondering, myself lol

Whats the penetration depth of a 315 cmh?

chronosync

Well-stoned member
I currently run 600 HPS in 4 x 4 and have been thinking about trying a 315 cmh

I've heard that 315 cmh is comparable to 400-500 watts of HPS?
Or a 3 x 3 ft square?

But that last 6 inches around the outside of the 4x4 is "iffy" anyway, if the 315 covers a *solid* 3x3..

If it's a 2.5 x 2.5 and you rely on reflectivity for the last 6" perimeter of the 3 x 3, it alters things a bit..

But like OP, I haven't found these answers anywhere..
Sorry if I derailed at all, but.. Kinda tired of wondering, myself lol

Whats the penetration depth of a 315 cmh?

this.

I was going to say, why not use a 4x4 and have a little extra room? I guess because if your really doing numbers reflectivity would matter. The extra foot would really help with heat but that's already a plus with cmh.

Are you opposed to adding some extra lights, like cfl or something?

Another consideration. Are you sog or scrogging or will you move your plants around?

Coughie

Right now:
I run a 4 x 4 tent w/ 600 watts of HPS, over a 150-gallon smart pot and a 4-quadrant trellis system.. Usually home to 4 plants that I've transferred in from 5-gallon smart pots.

I'm looking to add vertical trellises around the perimeter to grow other crops - tomatoes, peppers, peas, etc - so that outer 6" wont be 'flowers' anyway, but would still need decent light to produce produce..

I'd like to switch from 600 to 315, in order to slim the electricity down enough to see if I can get "two for one"... Cut the electricity in half, double down on another 4'x4' tent and not change the power bill while "doubling" the sq footage.

Even if its 3x3 - thats 9 sqft
times 2 = 18 sq ft

Which is 2 more sq ft (of flowers) than the solid 4'x4' under a single 600
Plus the perimeter growing areas, if I can still pull fresh produce.

But if it stretches to cover 4'x4' with some adequacy, then it may make sense to continue to grow produce outside and keep the tents stuffed with "flowers"

So yes, I'm sort of opposed to adding cfl's/extra lighting, due to the power consumption tight rope that I'm walking

(Sorry for hijacking, OP~)

Lester Beans

Frequent Flyer
Veteran
I have been experimenting with these cmh. If you are used to growing with a 1k you will need 4 of the 315 to have the same results in the same space. I have the 630 cmh de and it takes two of those to replace a 1k. I would go with the 630 cmh de in a 3x3 or a 4x4 for some breathing room. The lights spread nice, but lack penetration. I am not ready to give up my 1k's for the cmh. Especially the cost.

nukklehead

I appreciate all the responses but I kind of think it went viral and little bit off topic... no disrespect.. let me rephrase my question:

Can I grow 4 plants under a 315 CMH in a 3x3 tent?

Im ok with a 4x4 tent if need be. Dont anticipate to have to move
pots around in a KISS/Hempy/Scrog... P.S not interested in supplemental side lighting,
Just trying to keep it KISS in my old age..I can grow 3 pots if that seems
to be the most efficient method???

Heat and exhaust not a problem. I can accomodate for that. Just trying
to free up existing space as I tear down the "Hidden wall" that I use to grow the 1K in..

Thanks and respect all!

Nuk

I have been experimenting with these cmh. If you are used to growing with a 1k you will need 4 of the 315 to have the same results in the same space. I have the 630 cmh de and it takes two of those to replace a 1k. I would go with the 630 cmh de in a 3x3 or a 4x4 for some breathing room. The lights spread nice, but lack penetration. I am not ready to give up my 1k's for the cmh. Especially the cost.

Ive been using my 315 sun system in a 3.5x4.5 room and Im loving it so far. Currently starting week 5 of flower today and everything looks fantastic. I try to keep all my girls in as close to a 3x3 area as possible but I have noticed that the buds outside of this area are a bit weaker in growth than the ones in the 3x3 area.
From all the research Ive done (excessive amounts) and all the posts Ive read from growers (hundreds) who are using these seem to contradict everything you've stated in your post. Everyone says that these have some of the best penetration of any lights they have used and I have noticed the same thing. My buds half way down the plants and covered by leaf shade are developing almost just as good as the buds on the tops. Also, most seem to agree that 2 of these 315's are pretty damn comperable to a 1k hps and most are comparing the 315 to a 500w-600w hps. I think 600 might be pushing it, and these results may be attributed to skill level. An average or beginner such as myself might be getting results closer to a 400-500 hps. A lot of experienced growers are saying this is accurate and are getting significantly better results after swapping out their 600 for one 315.
I am going to be picking up a second one to use in a little larger space for my next run (4.5'x5') and I will be able to find out for myself. You are probably a much more experienced grower than myself so I wouldn't want to say your wrong. Just saying the OP might want to do a little more research and maybe check out the 315 cmh thread on here to get some more info.