What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Need help with finding LED dimmer and fan speed controller

Xickle

I have 3 CXB3590 COBs(36v) that I want to wire to a MeanWell HLG-120H-C1400B driver. The driver has the possibility for dimming the lights, but I need a switch to do that.
Not sure if it matters, but I'm from EU, and the wall voltage is 230v.

I also have a fan(20W) that connects directly to the 230v plug, and I'd like to use something to be able to control the speed of the fan.

Can you please recommend me the switches?(Preferably from ebay or stores in Europe) Thank you!

Koondense

Veteran
Get a regular 10k ohm potentiometer for driver dimming.
The fan needs a rheostat but they cost around 40-80€ and more. A regular home light dimmer can be used but it wont work properly and will squeak, maybe kill the fan soon. Rpm fan regulation on AC is not so easy.
Maybe get a fan with built in power regulation.

Xickle

Get a regular 10k ohm potentiometer for driver dimming.
The fan needs a rheostat but they cost around 40-80€ and more. A regular home light dimmer can be used but it wont work properly and will squeak, maybe kill the fan soon. Rpm fan regulation on AC is not so easy.
Maybe get a fan with built in power regulation.

I see, I'll wait and see how loud the fan turns out to be, and I'll only set the lights up for dimming for now. Thanks for the info!

Arf

AC fans chew way more power than 12v DC ones of the same size.

I would use 12v and you can get a switchable wall wart plug pack with several voltage settings to slow the fan down if required.

Latest posts

Latest posts