What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

400w hps heat Q

Xanode

Apologies before hand as I assume this question has been asked a hundred times in one form or another, but as I need a quick answer because I have a limited amount of time to get some stuff that is on special.

How much heat would a 400w hps generate over TENT tempreture.

The tent is 1mx1mx2m, the hps will be under a simple wing reflector.

So for example, by looking at the temp/humidity in my room now: temp is 19c and humidity is 50% what would the said light setup do to the temps?,

I will be adding ventilation(fans, duct, etc) but for simplicity's sake.

corky1968

Veteran
There's so many variables that could affect the end result.

I think the fastest way to get your answer is just to
set it all up and fire up your light for a day and see.

With enough ventilation your tent probably won't get much higher than the ambient temperature surrounding it.

heatherlonglee

It'll be at least 10-12 degrees hotter inside the tent than outside room temperature. I run a system similar to what your describing. I'm forcing cool air in and out of my tent. I've got a closed reflector with 4" inline fan sucking the hot air out. I also have 6" duct booster fan pushing air into the reflector to get the hot air out faster. I've got fans pushing the air in on the bottom ports and sucking the hot air out through the top ports. It will definitely not be the same temperature or even close inside your tent as outside room temperature.

Xanode

is that 10-12 with your ventilation setup?

and i meant to type: How much heat would a 400w hps generate over ambient TENT temperature.

thanks for any help.

Xanode

not looking for scientifically accurate answers just best guesstimates

temp in tent without 400w hps: 20c
temp in same tent with 400w hps= your best guess

mr.brunch

Veteran
400w will work fine in that setup, my space is less than 1mx1m and they are fine... As long as you are venting.

Wouldn't like to say what the temperature will be, as has been said- too many variables.

heatherlonglee

My setup is similar to yours. My apologies for not specifying Fahrenheit. I guesstimate 10-12 degrees Fahrenheit hotter inside your tent. Not sure what the Celsius conversion would be. My tent 32"x32"x72" running 400w HPS outside room temperature 73-74f, inside tent temperature 83-86f.

corky1968

Veteran
I'm running a 600 watt MH in a homemade cabinet of 4'X4'X7' high.

So I wouldn't worry too much about a 400 watt light if your venting well.

Arf

is that 10-12 with your ventilation setup?

and i meant to type: How much heat would a 400w hps generate over ambient TENT temperature.

thanks for any help.

What's the insulation co-efficient of your tent material, and how many times per hour do you change the air?

D

Drek

I don't even know why anyone would even bother with a 400w HPS anymore, with the advent of CDM 315? Same or more PAR, better spectrum for growth and observation, minimal cost really...and less heat?

Just sayin...