What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

New DE light won't fire. Help!

BigTex

Wanted to try a DE fixture. Bought what the grow store recommended but it only fires once in about every five tries. Grow store says the ballast won't fire the lamp unless I hook it up 240v. It's advertised to operate at 120 or 240 tho. Carried it to the store and they only got it to fire two out of six tries. Is this setup even compatible? Any help is greatly appreciated!

indocult

this setup definitely works. I've never tried it on 120 v so I couldn't tell you that, but it for sure works on 240v.
Did the store take it back and give you one that works?

CoCoSativas

Wanted to try a DE fixture. Bought what the grow store recommended but it only fires once in about every five tries. Grow store says the ballast won't fire the lamp unless I hook it up 240v. It's advertised to operate at 120 or 240 tho. Carried it to the store and they only got it to fire two out of six tries. Is this setup even compatible? Any help is greatly appreciated!

[URL=https://www.icmag.com/ic/picture.php?albumid=67990&pictureid=1615311&thumb=1]View Image[/url] [URL=https://www.icmag.com/ic/picture.php?albumid=67990&pictureid=1615310&thumb=1]View Image[/url]

Is it a ballast that runs single ended and DE? If so single ended is probably dual voltage and the DE is just 240?

Try reading instructions, emailing galaxy or take the shit back to the shop and get a better setup like a gavita pro! Though those run on 240 too not a big deal I have 240v in my spare bedroom bro it's my grow room.

If it dosent fire properly and it's ongoing I would avoid trying to run it or it might malfunction

BigTex

No, it worked 2 out of 6 times and they declared it good. WTH?
They tried a different ballast but they never tried a different bulb, so could be that...

BigTex

Is it a ballast that runs single ended and DE? If so single ended is probably dual voltage and the DE is just 240?

Try reading instructions, emailing galaxy or take the shit back to the shop and get a better setup like a gavita pro! Though those run on 240 too not a big deal I have 240v in my spare bedroom bro it's my grow room.

If it dosent fire properly and it's ongoing I would avoid trying to run it or it might malfunction

The ballast is de compatible. Thank you for the advice

CoCoSativas

No, it worked 2 out of 6 times and they declared it good. WTH?
They tried a different ballast but they never tried a different bulb, so could be that...

Yes sure could be the bulb.

Could be a issue with the grounding I side the ballast idk I've seen lots of shitty problems with those things. I only use gavita now. Silent and top quality.

2/6= good I'd probably kick my shop owners ass in the store regardless of how many people were there if they sold me junk and wouldn't just handle the warranty.

Tell them to deal with it or you will yourself but if you do you will never shop there again. Hydro stores don't always have the largest cus timer base legal or not depending on competition. My cit has 2 hydro stores, and if I threaten to shop the other one suddenly problems vanish.

What a stupid problem to have sorry buddy. :woohoo: wonderful

CoCoSativas

The ballast is de compatible. Thank you for the advice

Dude I can read the o.p. and the thread title I get that it's d.e. compatability.

I'm saying it might run s.e. bulbs too, and that's where the problem is. I think d.e. bulbs are 240v only. It's likely it runs s.e. and those can run 120/240 (dual vilol tag we call it)

I highly recommend you listen to the shops instrict ions rather than interpret things based on what the box says. Read the slips bud. Or take my advice contact galaxy but really I think the easy thing is look into d.e. systems. I'm not doing it for you these are things you need to learn to do before buying it's not just hey I want so grab. I have gavita digistar rather than pros for several reasons. I don't need dual voltage because I'll wire what's needed (a skill essential to indoor growers and not hard it's fUn actually) but I grow in residential (8 foot cieling) and that's too short for the gavita pros.

Don't just buy shit the shop tells you. You are now on a forum full of info.

My best advice is if the shop tells you 240v but the box says dual probably listen because they already know. If they are idit's (or like my shop where I teach them because of who I am a forum grower I see all the newest coolest shit and they are a little dated) then contact manufacturer directly via phone or email

People wI'll help here but do research before buying and read the instructions. If I had time I'd look up see if they are available online I'd shit a brick lol it shouldn't be hard to find man if it's not already in the box gavita included everything in slips and on the box

Avenger

Veteran
If the lamp is a 400v DE HPS lamp(European design specs), then it is not compatable with the Galaxy Grow Amp Ballst.
attachment.php

Attachments

• galaxy grow amp instructions.jpg
    galaxy grow amp instructions.jpg
    123 KB · Views: 11

BigTex

If the lamp is a 400v DE HPS lamp(European design specs), then it is not compatable with the Galaxy Grow Amp Ballst.
View Image

Bingo! I looked that shit up last night at work and you're correct. Here's something else I noticed...the manual says de compatable, the box says de compatible, but this is plainly printed on the ballast...(see pic)

Those are all single end lamps. And yes the shop sold me a 400v bulb. I'm gonna return the ballast and get one specifically for 1000v de.

Is the Maxpar 400v something I should keep or do y'all recommend another brand of lamp?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    53.7 KB · Views: 12

BigTex

Dude I can read the o.p. and the thread title I get that it's d.e. compatability.

I'm saying it might run s.e. bulbs too, and that's where the problem is. I think d.e. bulbs are 240v only. It's likely it runs s.e. and those can run 120/240 (dual vilol tag we call it)

I highly recommend you listen to the shops instrict ions rather than interpret things based on what the box says. Read the slips bud. Or take my advice contact galaxy but really I think the easy thing is look into d.e. systems. I'm not doing it for you these are things you need to learn to do before buying it's not just hey I want so grab. I have gavita digistar rather than pros for several reasons. I don't need dual voltage because I'll wire what's needed (a skill essential to indoor growers and not hard it's fUn actually) but I grow in residential (8 foot cieling) and that's too short for the gavita pros.

Don't just buy shit the shop tells you. You are now on a forum full of info.

My best advice is if the shop tells you 240v but the box says dual probably listen because they already know. If they are idit's (or like my shop where I teach them because of who I am a forum grower I see all the newest coolest shit and they are a little dated) then contact manufacturer directly via phone or email

People wI'll help here but do research before buying and read the instructions. If I had time I'd look up see if they are available online I'd shit a brick lol it shouldn't be hard to find man if it's not already in the box gavita included everything in slips and on the box

I wasn't trying to be a smartass. I do appreciate the advice! I'll look into that ballast you recommended.

CoCoSativas

Bingo! I looked that shit up last night at work and you're correct. Here's something else I noticed...the manual says de compatable, the box says de compatible, but this is plainly printed on the ballast...(see pic)

Those are all single end lamps. And yes the shop sold me a 400v bulb. I'm gonna return the ballast and get one specifically for 1000v de.

Is the Maxpar 400v something I should keep or do y'all recommend another brand of lamp?

You would be better off getting a different ballast if you want to keep the lamp.

If you want to keep the ballast switch the lamp and tell the shop to sit on it and switch it hassle free.

Sorry I'm sometimes a grouch. I used to look it this stuff for people but mostly it's a read or listen to instructions but the shop was little help this time.

I hope it teaches you look up things before you buy. Most of us who have done this a while and produce serious consistent results will all say do research aND go into the shop knowing already or be prepared to possibly go for and expensive ride.

I'm interested to see what happens.

Gavita makes good lights there's loads now actually. Now Solis tek makes de they kick ass, ushio makes bulbs..

I'd go with either gavita, digilume, or Solis tek. The first two make complete fxtures that come all as one unit, I think soils tek does too... anyway all make complete or remote fixtyres for d.e. now...

Lighting is complicated. Many of us are happy to offer opinions and discuss why we choose what we do. I'm busy but laterm could share some thoughts on lighting.