What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

correct temp. for root ball and fabric containers

rasta man

wondering if there is a nominal temp. for root development in the root ball itself..floor might be on cold side...and also, should the fabric pots be on gravel or something for drainage..or is a semi wet bottom ok...?

Mikell

Dipshit Know-Nothing
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Raise them off the floor. Wet bottoms are a big no (for people and plants).

bigshrimp

Veteran
I dont like it to drop lower than mid sixties.

Large pots with lots of biological activity will generate and retain more heat but i wouldn't count on in.

stoned-trout

if it smells like fish
Veteran
I use milk crates lined with weed blocker set on a pallet....yeehaw..I keep my seedling heat mats on 72 or so...don't know if its optimal but always worked for me ...concrete floor def too cold this time of year for good root growth...the ground sucks the heat away quick as I have tested it....

rasta man

I use milk crates lined with weed blocker set on a pallet....yeehaw..I keep my seedling heat mats on 72 or so...don't know if its optimal but always worked for me ...concrete floor def too cold this time of year for good root growth...the ground sucks the heat away quick as I have tested it....
Like the milk crate things as I have several.. but dang...take a lot to fill that puppy... I thought the 3 gallon pots hold a lot of soil..
floor aint concrete but still on the cold side..

Weird

3rd-Eye Jedi
Veteran
I had a chart but I cant find it that gave temperature gradients and correlating microbial population changes.

mid sixties to low seventies, populations change outside that spectrum.

I have personally found genes from tropical regions can benefit from soil temps (I assume because they adapted to the microbiology that thrives at higher temps) that are higher than average, while strains from more temperate regions suffer.

Weird

3rd-Eye Jedi
Veteran
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16329892

Abstract

Temperature is an important factor regulating microbial activity and shaping the soil microbial community. Little is known, however, on how temperature affects the most important groups of the soil microorganisms, the bacteria and the fungi, in situ. We have therefore measured the instantaneous total activity (respiration rate), bacterial activity (growth rate as thymidine incorporation rate) and fungal activity (growth rate as acetate-in-ergosterol incorporation rate) in soil at different temperatures (0-45 degrees C). Two soils were compared: one was an agricultural soil low in organic matter and with high pH, and the other was a forest humus soil with high organic matter content and low pH. Fungal and bacterial growth rates had optimum temperatures around 25-30 degrees C, while at higher temperatures lower values were found. This decrease was more drastic for fungi than for bacteria, resulting in an increase in the ratio of bacterial to fungal growth rate at higher temperatures. A tendency towards the opposite effect was observed at low temperatures, indicating that fungi were more adapted to low-temperature conditions than bacteria. The temperature dependence of all three activities was well modelled by the square root (Ratkowsky) model below the optimum temperature for fungal and bacterial growth. The respiration rate increased over almost the whole temperature range, showing the highest value at around 45 degrees C. Thus, at temperatures above 30 degrees C there was an uncoupling between the instantaneous respiration rate and bacterial and fungal activity. At these high temperatures, the respiration rate closely followed the Arrhenius temperature relationship.

rasta man

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16329892

Abstract

Temperature is an important factor regulating microbial activity and shaping the soil microbial community. Little is known, however, on how temperature affects the most important groups of the soil microorganisms, the bacteria and the fungi, in situ. We have therefore measured the instantaneous total activity (respiration rate), bacterial activity (growth rate as thymidine incorporation rate) and fungal activity (growth rate as acetate-in-ergosterol incorporation rate) in soil at different temperatures (0-45 degrees C). Two soils were compared: one was an agricultural soil low in organic matter and with high pH, and the other was a forest humus soil with high organic matter content and low pH. Fungal and bacterial growth rates had optimum temperatures around 25-30 degrees C, while at higher temperatures lower values were found. This decrease was more drastic for fungi than for bacteria, resulting in an increase in the ratio of bacterial to fungal growth rate at higher temperatures. A tendency towards the opposite effect was observed at low temperatures, indicating that fungi were more adapted to low-temperature conditions than bacteria. The temperature dependence of all three activities was well modelled by the square root (Ratkowsky) model below the optimum temperature for fungal and bacterial growth. The respiration rate increased over almost the whole temperature range, showing the highest value at around 45 degrees C. Thus, at temperatures above 30 degrees C there was an uncoupling between the instantaneous respiration rate and bacterial and fungal activity. At these high temperatures, the respiration rate closely followed the Arrhenius temperature relationship.
whoa... that was a mouthful...I was just thinkin of askin you about the bacterial and fungi connection as I was lookin at teas..and my soil..reading that since it hasnt been working longer than a month it would have more of a higher bacterial population as opposed to a fungal population which would come with a longer composting time ..thats what I gathered anyway... so a tea that favors a higher fungi growth as opposed to bacterial would be more beneficial....I think Im saying that right..probably have my def. mixed up but was just wondrin...

rasta man

I used to use a saucer under with some chunky perlite in it to keep the pot off the ground
think Ill use this for sure..thought of gravel but if roots happen to find their way down there the gravel might have some nasty stuff on it... think the chunky perlite would be key, especially if I leave a little water in pan ... but not sure on that yet...

Fly by Night

Like a Wing
Veteran
Tried calibrating my rectal thermometer but it's too dark down there to read the numbers whew

tmpd9b2124_thumb.png

stoned-trout

if it smells like fish
Veteran
Like the milk crate things as I have several.. but dang...take a lot to fill that puppy... I thought the 3 gallon pots hold a lot of soil..
floor aint concrete but still on the cold side..

somewhere I seen they said the large ones were 7 gallon but didn't check size compared to mine.. when I mixed my soil It looked more like 9 gal to me as I used one 5 gal bucket full and then another almost full to fill...maybe cause it was a bit fluffy...?????..I could do the math and find out but haven't bothered....yeehaw .. the crates were free from the ocean beaches...peeps must toss them out a lot as I got plenty..i get a few every time I go kayaking ...beats buying fabric pots and they are sturdy and can be moved easilly

bigshrimp

Veteran
I've used milk crate smarties, i think if you make them 11x11x10 they are about six and a half gallons. Or you can just stick a square seven gallon smart pot in, fits fine.

Last edited:

stoned-trout

if it smells like fish
Veteran
mine are like 18 1/2 long outside measure x 12 1/2 wide by 10 1/2 tall...yeehaw..they aint square ...altho I do have one square one...guess folks don't throw them into the ocean as often...