What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

What is a BX1?

M

MummyCat

Someone please tell me what a BX1 means, I have searched to no avail :)

stihgnobevoli

Veteran
bx means back cross usually. when you take a child plant and mate it to one of its earlier ancestors or original parent. i guess the 1 means 1st generation.

if anyone reads this thread and knows more chime in.

M

MummyCat

Cool, thanks dudes. Interested in what an IX is, never heard of it.

Maybe there should be a breeder lingo sticky in the laboratory?

stihgnobevoli

Veteran
i dunno what ix is i was gonna ask over in the dutchgrown forums. they have it on their g13 so someone must know. but in cross might be it. or it could be 9...

M

MummyCat

Yeah I'd love to know, I Just realized my chemd is "IX II" whatever that means

angel4us

ICMag Donor
so what do they call it when you cross two plants then take amale and a female from the resulting seeds and let them breed ,the resulting seeds from brother /sister love would be called IBL ? in breed line ?correct?????

C

Classy@Home

so what do they call it when you cross two plants then take amale and a female from the resulting seeds and let them breed ,the resulting seeds from brother /sister love would be called IBL ? in breed line ?correct?????
F1s (filial)

First seeds are S1's

I think...

zymos

Jammin'!
Veteran

There's more to it than that. An IBL has been back-crossed and selected a few times until various traits are fairly stable.

Hammerhead

Disabled Farmer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Fem seeds aka feminized seeds, are the result of induced pollen from a true female pollinating another female clone, be it a genetic clone copy of the plant that was induced to produce pollen, or a genetically different female plant.

In the case of pollen fertilizing a gentically identical clone, the resulting seeds are labelled as S1. If the pollen fertilizes a genetically different clone, the resulting seeds are hybrid.

S1's are just a type of feminized seeds, a subdivision of kind

BX1 is a backcross 1x 2x 3x 4x

D

driftersmokinjo

Your dicription is closer to an IX than an IBL from my understanding

manpan

I had to look up an old post by RezDog and driftersmokingjo is right: When you cross 2 siblings to make F2 seeds, that's called "in-cross".

A "back cross" or bx is when you cross a progeny with it's parent. So, a bx2 would be a bx1, then doing another back cross to the parent with the seeds that the bx1 produces.

IBL - in bred line - requires multiple back crosses to get a stable strain.

I'm not a breeder or a botanist, so if I'm mistaken here, please someone correct me. thx.

0verkil13r

I had to look up an old post by RezDog and driftersmokingjo is right: When you cross 2 siblings to make F2 seeds, that's called "in-cross".

A "back cross" or bx is when you cross a progeny with it's parent. So, a bx2 would be a bx1, then doing another back cross to the parent with the seeds that the bx1 produces.

IBL - in bred line - requires multiple back crosses to get a stable strain.

I'm not a breeder or a botanist, so if I'm mistaken here, please someone correct me. thx.

This is absolutely correct.

More specifically a back cross is the mating of female progeny to their father/uncles to isolate certain characteristics (as I was told). In the animal world, these crosses are made in reverse (usually to prove recessive/dominant traits) as males breed younger. The resulting offspring are BC1 (BX1 must be cannabis specific acronym). I'm sure cannabis breeders do it both ways

IBL = Inbred Backcross Line or IBC

Here's a few links for those interested.

Tom Hill explains filial generations and back crosses
https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=177888&highlight=Bx1

Intro to backcrossing
http://www.extension.org/pages/3244...ckcross-bc-populations-and-backcross-breeding

Breeding for beginners
https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=26677

M

MummyCat

Thank you to all that posted here, very informative info everyone!

Thank you Overkill for the links

exploziv

pure dynamite
Administrator
Veteran
This is absolutely correct.

More specifically a back cross is the mating of female progeny to their father/uncles to isolate certain characteristics (as I was told). In the animal world, these crosses are made in reverse (usually to prove recessive/dominant traits) as males breed younger. The resulting offspring are BC1 (BX1 must be cannabis specific acronym). I'm sure cannabis breeders do it both ways

IBL = Inbred Backcross Line or IBC

Here's a few links for those interested.

Tom Hill explains filial generations and back crosses
https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=177888&highlight=Bx1

Intro to backcrossing
http://www.extension.org/pages/3244...ckcross-bc-populations-and-backcross-breeding

Breeding for beginners
https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=26677

great info, except the fact that an IBL is an "Inbred Line" and not an "Inbred Backcross Line", that meaning it is a genetically homogeneous strain that grows uniformly from seed.
backcross, in the form of bx is used more in the cannabis world, while for animals and other plants they use bc. the number after the short form of backcross indicates the generation. so first backcross, second backcross and so on.

0verkil13r

You are most welcome MummyCat We are all here to collect and share information. I am just doing what I can.

great info, except the fact that an IBL is an "Inbred Line" and not an "Inbred Backcross Line", that meaning it is a genetically homogeneous strain that grows uniformly from seed.
backcross, in the form of bx is used more in the cannabis world, while for animals and other plants they use bc. the number after the short form of backcross indicates the generation. so first backcross, second backcross and so on.

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Hence the "IBL" designation. lol. I simply thought this was another misnomer. Genetic terminology varies quite a bit between flora & fauna (the latter being my area of proficiency). Animals are line bred as opposed to being inbred. Thank you for the clarification.

As I am a fan of proper terminology please accept my apologies. I do not wish to spread misinformation. Far too much gets lost in translation as it is... It is important to talk in parody though... I find it helps with semantics as well as relations.

I know you have mostly been posting in the international forums (recently) but, your contributions here have made a tremendous impact on my grow.
[/FONT]