What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

I HATE YOU Sunpulse Bulbs........

krunchbubble

Dear Haters, I Have So Much More For You To Be Mad
Veteran
bought several a while ago, liked the different spectrum's.....

could NEVER get a good yield out of them, no matter what i did, but the plants looked good!

today i decided to replace them with new hortilux's and discovered this!

WTF!!??!!??

Scary...

scary-face.jpg

couchlockd

i too have been using a similar bulb, it is a plantmax pulse start metal halide 7K kelvin temp 600watt.

i have been using them this time in flower thinking a full on complete spectrum would be nice for resin and buds color, it is day 23 and the buds look like they are 14 days old in growth. but the plants DO look good, but i aint no damn lettuce farmer!! i want to harvest fat sticky buds to smoke. so i switched them out for my ushio 600watt super red HPS and they are already getting right after 36 hours.

they are exactly what krunch is basically using just under a different name and the ones he got are the "original" pulse start pick based on color temperature bulbs on the market. totally shit IMHO

megayields

Grower of Connoisseur herb's.
ICMag Donor
Veteran
awww DYAMN man....heard they had problems, sorry that this had to happen to you Krunch, but you have come back from MUCH worse than this lol!

krunchbubble

Veteran
i too have been using a similar bulb, it is a plantmax pulse start metal halide 7K kelvin temp 600watt.

i have been using them this time in flower thinking a full on complete spectrum would be nice for resin and buds color, it is day 23 and the buds look like they are 14 days old in growth. but the plants DO look good, but i aint no damn lettuce farmer!! i want to harvest fat sticky buds to smoke. so i switched them out for my ushio 600watt super red HPS and they are already getting right after 36 hours.

they are exactly what krunch is basically using just under a different name and the ones he got are the "original" pulse start pick based on color temperature bulbs on the market. totally shit IMHO

i looked at those bulbs today and my boy said "NO!, DO NOT buy those"! apparently they really shitty.....

notice that the sunpulse bulb is slightly curved now?

krunchbubble

Veteran

SHIT!!! i have one of those as well! it runs sooooooo hot! all the plants that were under it are yellow....

just moved that digilux to another room , over perfectly healthy green plants to see if it will yellow up as well.....

ajc0k

Wow that's my worst nightmare for sure, I've done a whole grow with sunpulse 3k spect no problems, extra frosty bud but no yields. Swapped those out and i'm running all Ushios now, you should give them a try if you haven't already Krunch, i just picked a few up at your boys shop the new spot is hella nice.

F_T_P!

I have done some experimenting with sunpulse bulbs. The 3K sucks, period and the 10K will burn/bleach your plants if too close or used too long, but works when dialed in.

I veg and flower with the 6.4K and get excellent results. Resin coated buds and a solid yield. Heat is not a problem and my girls love the blue light.

That is a f'd up looking bulb you have there Krunch, I have had to return many 3K's for various issues.

This round since I have some magnetic ballasts to use I am running 2 brand new hortilux eyes in one room and my 2 used 6.4K's in another. I will be running them with different strains and hoods, but I will have a comparison none the less.

couchlockd

FTP from everything i have read seen heard about the sunpulse bulbs, i really think maybe you are just telling yourself that the yields are solid.

i put that very very blunt, with no intentions of insulting your skill, but just cuzz you spent the major coin these sunpulse bulbs command, dont mean they are good.

i have yet to hear of a good result with sunpulse bulbs, that had accompanying pictures to prove it.

krunch, the plantmax bulbs are jsut as good as sunpulse, if that is saying anything.lol

lemme break this all down for you guys, as i have been following the digital ballast papired with 60hz bulbs for ever, before the letter from lumatek/hortilux even was circulated, as i knew issues of operating a bulb at 60hz+ that was designed to run at 50-60hz (father is a MASTER electrician) i used to brag to him about digital ballast and how they can run any type of bulb, (he deals with regular mag ballast everyday on the job) and i would talk shit about the mags, till one day he actually looked at the hydrofarm catalouge, and some lumatek adverts.

he said "holy shit, those need special bulbs huh, thats why them bulbs i saw in that weed growing supply book costs soo much" i replied, "no special bulbs, those bulbs are special plant bulbs for any ballast, coil/core or magnetic"

he says "then i dont think theyd last to long in those digitals, they are being beaten to death in them fixtures (<--read; 'ballasts') if the digitals were any good, we'd use them in comercial lighting, how much are they any way?"

i tell him "the digitalls can be had for 200-400 bux a piece depending....." he cut me off real quick, "OH THEN THEY ARE CHEAP CHINESE products, we spend like 700 a piece on some of those ballast at work, and they are real real big, like 400 watts." big i say? "we fuck with 600 and 1000 watt bulbs." that blew his mind

then i read all the digital incompatibility with regular bulbs. and i say "yep- the old man was right"

so look at those special pulse start MH bulbs. particularly in the 600 watt flavor. they are nothing more than old school-ish MH conversion bulbs. IE MH bulbs that run in magnetic HPS ballasts. with the solarmax, sunmaster, and plantmax (not the new plant max but the old whtie box conversion bulbs) they all were marketed as 6500K or 7200K VEG conversion bulbs.

only difference now is they are coming in red and far UV spectrums.

for years knowledgable growers avoided the MH veg conversion bulbs like the PLAGUE, as they give only about less than 2/3 rds. of what a real 600HPS delivered, and just a tad more than a 400watt MH in the proper ballast gives out.

i saw this and correlated this the instant i heard of SUN PULSE like 3 years ago.

the only instance i ever heard or read about someone actually using a MH VEG conversion bulb was.....Uh......NEVER!!

they run hot, cuzz they are using a little over a 3rd of their consumed power to process the conversion. which in turn is RAW HEAT, it is like running a 400 watt MH along with a 200 watt space heater.

this is my highly educated opinion, with much of it based in factual evidence, and not any anecdotal evidence at all

i had this post written up days ago, but lost it before i could post it cuzzz the battery in this laptop died on me.

BTW, USHIO bulbs, are the cats meow, i last grow got 5 oz more out of a 6square foot room with a single 600, than i usually get, although i did stop using AN and started a full on organic regimine using General Organics full line, with hygrozyme and humboldt roots. so take it FWIW

F_T_P!

FTP from everything i have read seen heard about the sunpulse bulbs, i really think maybe you are just telling yourself that the yields are solid.

i put that very very blunt, with no intentions of insulting your skill, but just cuzz you spent the major coin these sunpulse bulbs command, dont mean they are good.

i have yet to hear of a good result with sunpulse bulbs, that had accompanying pictures to prove it.

LOL, you are a funny guy. I gave a very honest review of these bulbs. If you read what most people say about these bulbs is that they use the 3K for flowering, which suck. I never use the 3k's anymore and I own 2 brand new.

I have yet to hear or see anyone talk shit on using 6.4K for flowering. I did a side by side and the 6.4K blew the 3K out of the water in yield and trich production. I am running my 6.4s right now versus brand new hortilux eyes hps in separate rooms to get a comparison. I am not a blind follower, I am getting facts first hand.

Last edited:
^^ there must be a reason why my favorite online hydro store only offers the 600 watt 6.4k sun pulse bulb and none of the other ones. I was thinking about using this for veg.

When you guys say Ushio's, do you mean the Ushio Hilux? I was thinking about using these with some new quantum ballast. Not sure if they work with magnetic ballast.

RugerBaby

Autos are for pussies!
Veteran
sucks man, I hate digilux! Straight crap bulbs! Ever since I switched to Ushio's everything's been running smooth. :D

One Love 731

Veteran
I don't believe those have any added blue spectrum like the hortilux and ushios

2100k, am I missing something about color temp? I sat them down next to each other and couldn't tell them apart. They're the same thing in a different box from what I can tell. 1:ying:

One Love 731

Veteran
not sure, but that's way cheap.

As is everything else that is not marketed towards growers, I put a new Hortilux Super 1k in a reflector next to a EYE 1k in same brand reflector/ballast and could see no difference in color or intensity.

As mentioned before I couldn't tell them apart but did have 2 different boxes laying on the planting bench.

Ya know how it is, you can see subtle differences between bulbs when next to each other, not between these. 1:ying:

I also got a different online supplier to match the price, there bulbs were listed as Hortilux. Maybe I got lucky? I only hope the link can help another. These are great bulbs for the price

Latest posts

Latest posts