What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

How many 1000w HPS ballasts can you run on 1 socket?

Right now I'm doing a 1000w 4 plant tent grow.
Once this is done I plan to buy a 3x1.5x2 metre tent and add an extra 1000w to it.

Problem is that in my shed I only have one power outlet which has 2 sockets.

I was think about using a double adaptor and plugging 2 1000's in 1 and my fans etc into the other.

Is this safe with magnetic ballasts?
Cheers :tiphat:

ddrew

Veteran
15amp will not handle two 1K lights, but a 20amp will, but then you still need a place to plug your fans, and even 20amp will be pushing it at that point.

Have you looked at your breaker box yet to determine what amp that outlet is?

mowood3479

Veteran
not safe.. will probably pop your breaker.. most resedential breakers are 15 amp@120v or in newer homes 20 amp @ 120v. a 1000w light is 12 amps .. most say u should only use up to 80 percent of your breaker amperage. so even 1k on a 15amp is pushing it.. 2k will not work even on a 20 amp. start reading electricity threads on here. all will be explained by those with much more expertise than myself. peace and good luck..

btw your original question about outlets(sockets?) is not what you need to figure out.. what u need to figure out are the circuits.. a single circuit can have 3 (or more) outlets on it. if the circuit has a 15 amp breaker than u could plug a 1k into one outlet, a fan into the next, and a water pump in the next and be over your 15 amp limit and pop the breaker (if all works well) worst case scenario is the wires in the wall heat up and start the house on fire.. but that is unlikely. before plugging in high wattage items (like ballasts, magnetic or otherwise) u should know ur circuits, the amperage, and the guage wire being used. once u know that it is a simple job to add more circuits if needed.

i learned all i know (which is rudimentary) from reading, reading, reading on here.. peace.

15amp will not handle two 1K lights, but a 20amp will, but then you still need a place to plug your fans, and even 20amp will be pushing it at that point.

Have you looked at your breaker box yet to determine what amp that outlet is?

Hey, cheers for the response.
Just to let you know that I live in Australia and we use 240v if that means anything.

I looked at my power box and it says that the amps to the shed is 4.5 kA. Also the stove is 6kA and hot water heater 4.5kA.

No idea what that means lol. Hopefully you can help.:tiphat:

not safe.. will probably pop your breaker.. most resedential breakers are 15 amp@120v or in newer homes 20 amp @ 120v. a 1000w light is 12 amps .. most say u should only use up to 80 percent of your breaker amperage. so even 1k on a 15amp is pushing it.. 2k will not work even on a 20 amp. start reading electricity threads on here. all will be explained by those with much more expertise than myself. peace and good luck..

btw your original question about outlets(sockets?) is not what you need to figure out.. what u need to figure out are the circuits.. a single circuit can have 3 (or more) outlets on it. if the circuit has a 15 amp breaker than u could plug a 1k into one outlet, a fan into the next, and a water pump in the next and be over your 15 amp limit and pop the breaker (if all works well) worst case scenario is the wires in the wall heat up and start the house on fire.. but that is unlikely. before plugging in high wattage items (like ballasts, magnetic or otherwise) u should know ur circuits, the amperage, and the guage wire being used. once u know that it is a simple job to add more circuits if needed.

i learned all i know (which is rudimentary) from reading, reading, reading on here.. peace.

Hey man.
Damn I feared that. Last thing I'd want is for the house to burn down. We own it and have heaps of nice things in it geez.

I would do the wiring myself but I'm freaked I'd electrocute myself or burn the house down.

Rowdy420

On 240v they only draw about 4.5-6 amps so, two will easily fit onto a two pole 20 amp breaker. You are reading the killo amp rating of the devises, 4.5 KA = 4500watts, the stove is 6000watt and so on. To totally determine the full load of the shed you need to add all the kilowatts up. Hope this helps a bit.

Good luck, peace

On 240v they only draw about 4.5-6 amps so, two will easily fit onto a two pole 20 amp breaker. You are reading the killo amp rating of the devises, 4.5 KA = 4500watts, the stove is 6000watt and so on. To totally determine the full load of the shed you need to add all the kilowatts up. Hope this helps a bit.

Good luck, peace

Thanks man.
So as long as I stay below 4000 watts I'll be safe?
:tiphat:

Thanks man.
So as long as I stay below 4000 watts I'll be safe?
:tiphat:

3600w to be precise

watts = voltage x amps

Don't crank up the welder but you should be otherwise fine.

I would just stagger the start by 15mins as the highest load (inductive?) will be at start-up on a magnetic ballast.

mowood3479

Veteran
yes on 240.. u should be fine.. half the amps of 120. plug it all in.. and check.. if the fuse pops u'll know its to much.. but if ur whole house is on 240 u'll be fine, idk anything about the electric in australia wish i could help more... sorry

Honch

12v

12v

hello,

would running 5050 led tape @ 12v off 600 watt power supplies still hold true to the wattage a 15 amp breaker could handle? Basically, 2 ps's should be ok, but 3 would pull 1800 watts at max output?