What's new

best advice got Gnats in coco?

Hey there,

Just noticed a gnat or two flying around and want to nip this in the bud so this doesn't get out of control.

Any thing you guys recommend? Products, Sand, etc?

Thanks!

OPT

Nice inch layer of perlite on the top of your medium. If it's not wet they can't reproduce and the adults will die eventually and there will be no offspring.

If it gets too bad I would do a combination of perlite on top + a dose or two of Gnatrol to kill the eggs.

OPT

caljim

I'm on the edge. Of what I'm not sure.
Veteran
Gnatrol WDG (Water Dispersed Granuals) @ 1 gram a gallon as a preventive, up to 4 grams a gallon every time you water to end an infestation.

I've done the dunks, spent a load on Azamax............when your done F'ing around Gnatrol WDG WILL PUT AN END TO YOUR GNAT PROBLEM.

Trust me now or trust me later, theres always next crop to do it right, right. In the meantime their eating your roots, time and energy.

I buy it by the 5 gallon pail and it has paid for itself in restored plant production and peace of mind time and again. Hell, the $400 came back to me in one cycle.
:2cents:

caljim

I'm on the edge. Of what I'm not sure.
Veteran
Different Strokes for Different Folks

Different Strokes for Different Folks

Or you could spend $10 at Home Disco on Bayer Advanced and be done with it...
...............but you have really got to watch your application window with the Bayer method.

I can treat right up to harvest with the gnatrol, If you want to get all that bayer out of your plants I would not use it past week one of flower on a 9 week strain.

The gnatrol is also OMRI Certified.

mg75

pre-treat your coco before you transplant into it.
flush it (you should anyways) with HOT water. Then with cold water.
run some H202 through it. if you feel they are everywhere... bleach might work better and cheaper (5ml per gallon).
mix some mosquito bits with the coco.
bottom feed/water. keep top dry.
sticky traps.
GoGnats once a week. SM90 with every watering.
the gnats come in the coco from the store.

BlueHaze

Or you could spend $10 at Home Disco on Bayer Advanced and be done with it.

Which Bayer Advanced. They got few different one. Do you feed the coco or spray the leaves?

Treetroit City

Moderately Super
Veteran
Benificial nematodes. $20 at the local grow shop or order off amazon.

Fungi_gnat_exterminator.jpg

http://www.tiptopbio.com/hob_nematodes.html

HTH:tiphat:

F_T_P!

Which Bayer Advanced. They got few different one. Do you feed the coco or spray the leaves?

Bayer Advanced Complete Insect Killer, Follow the application rates and pour over your soil/coco, done. No gnats, aphids or any other pest to worry about. This product is systemic so do not apply after start of flower.

If you are for sure that you only have fungus gnats and no root aphids or if you are in flower already, then I would go for the dunks. The imid in Bayar Advanced shocks the plant for a couple of days and is unnecessary if you do not have root aphids IMHO. But to be safe and have excellent preventative measures BACIK will keep you pest free.

A

ak-51

What would the best pre-treating regimine be? I think I was reading in another thread that somebody was pre-charging their coco with cal-mag+ and BTI/Gnatrol. I think I'm going to try that next time I hydrate some coco. I'm tired of having these damn fungus gnats.

SecondAttempt

I think it was bobble who was hydrating his coco with Imid... gotta rinse it anyway was part of his reasoning... Hows about baking bricks in the oven @ like 180 degrees for an hour? Insect eggs probably hate that.

Latest posts

Latest posts