What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Easy tech to pull up female seeds - help me remember it!

mriko

Green Mujaheed
Veteran
Greetings & Love everyone! :wave:

Fw years ago, just before I has my growing-crisis, I had managed to pull up some real easy tech so as to make female plants (from seeds or clone) to produce a small number (about a dozen or so) of viable, pollen-bearing male flowers, (a quick and short burst at the beginning of flowering), making possible to get female seeds without having to use silver or whatever other chemical.

The only thing is... I don't remember what I used to do to get that result !

I might find some clues in the feeding schedules I wrote down in those days, but I'm a lazy ass and it's gonna take time, and I need to find those small note books I stored somewhere, so better ask first here.
From what I can gather from my memory I think it was with a specific nutes dosage, one very high EC (1,8-2) as soon as the plant has declared sex, probably light N and high PK mix.

Damn I need to find those notes. What do you expert breeders think about it?

Irie! :wave:

window

Veteran
Was it root pruning during flowering?
I think I read it here somewhere but can’t say if it works as never tried it.

Douglas.Curtis

Autistic Diplomat in Training
Personally, I'm looking for genetics which resist the urge to hermie under any environmental stresses. Ideally, only showing male flowers when you use silver to suppress ethylene production.

Did it only work with certain genetics, or did it work with any strains you were running?

mriko

Green Mujaheed
Veteran
Personally, I'm looking for genetics which resist the urge to hermie under any environmental stresses. Ideally, only showing male flowers when you use silver to suppress ethylene production.

I wouldn't call it hermie as it's not about bananas, but true male flowers, growing away from the female flowers, usually limited to a few intersection on the lowest branches. Just one quick and small burst, when it's done no more show up afterwards.

Did it only work with certain genetics, or did it work with any strains you were running?

I haven't failed once so far at getting the seeds I wanted to get, definitely works with a very large spectrum of strains.

Douglas.Curtis

Autistic Diplomat in Training
I wouldn't call it hermie as it's not about bananas, but true male flowers, growing away from the female flowers, usually limited to a few intersection on the lowest branches. Just one quick and small burst, when it's done no more show up afterwards.
I've run across genetics which do this anyway, without any particular stress.

Unless the flower formed because of naturally suppressed ethylene production, it's passing the ability on and I (a total non-breeder, with extremely limited experience) would call it a hermie. lol :)
What do I know, right? :)

mriko

Green Mujaheed
Veteran
Well, I certainly wouldn't dare to claim being a breeder either, but so far, seeds grown from this kind of cross hasn't shown any hermie traits (or what I would call so... ;) ), at most a couple of non-consequential bananas in the very last days of flowering.