What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Malawi x Panama

FletchF.Fletch

Fantastic hybrid of Sativa powerhouses. Big plants lots and lots of sticky buds. The Malawi leaning phenos hit you right behind the eyes.

bsgospel

Bat Macumba
Just dropped a few Mal x Pan regs into some water. I may or may not go back to the basic bag soil that gave me so much success with the Thai Chi. On the one hand, the Thai Chi was amazing. On the other, the Zamaldelica wanted something different.

Gotta do my best for these Mal x Pan's. We'll figure it out.

Mr. Stinky

Mine are in flood table. Was going to do them in compost containers but not knowing what they like, decided against it and went with hydro so I can adjust as needed. Pics when theres something to show

BadRabbit

Mine are in flood table. Was going to do them in compost containers but not knowing what they like, decided against it and went with hydro so I can adjust as needed. Pics when theres something to show

Good idea .... I'll be kicking off a fully hydro/RW Mal X Pan fem grow shortly .... as soon as the package arrives!

Cactus Wes

I got a Malawi x Panama out of one of the Ace Seeds Mix.
I did a Sea of green sorta sample grow.
She was lime pungent as a seedling.
I knew then it was special.
The whole way through veg,
even in flower; I would rub the stem just for the smell.
It had that Panama carrot spice in flower but turned up like gas.
And that was the smell and the taste until halfway through the joint; then you get hit with the unmistakable taste of the Malawi. The incensy woody taste dominates the rest of the joint.
That cultivar is nice and strong!
picture.php

This is the only shot of her.
She's half way through flower.
This was a good yielding cultivar.

dubi

ACE Seeds Breeder
Vendor
Veteran
Happy to read so many growers are germinating Malawi x Panama beans as we speak :)

Cactus Wes, ACE Mix standard did include Malawi x Panama so it certainly can be this strain. Glad you liked the outcome! :yes:

BadRabbit

Malawi x Panama fem - new horizons time

Malawi x Panama fem - new horizons time

Germination for MalPan fem seeds is 6/6 (in rockwool cubes on a small ebb/flow table). Four of them popped above the cube in two days, two of them were much slower but have made their appearance for me.

Nice work Ace team!

After 20+ years of growing mostly hybrids, I'm on an adventure to find new flavors and effects ... I'm also frustrated with the poor powdery mildew resistance I'm experiencing in many of the recent hybrids I've grown out.

I have some Sam Orig Thai Haze X Skunk going right now and MalxPan will be my next step in this adventure. Advice and input from you sativa veterans is most welcome as I progress. I will post a few pics when they get going.

I'm growing indoors on ebb and flow tables (rockwool all the way through) and can accommodate some height, but I'd prefer not to have to deal with seven footers (like one of the 8+ foot OHaze/Sk I have right now). Damien's grow in this thread looks like a height I can deal with.

I'm planning about a 3 week veg, before going to 12/12. (should I reduce 12 hour light schedules after a few weeks?) Should I top them or FIM" them to control height? (I'm leaning towards "yes", but want to see how they veg out first!)

I am purely fem pheno hunting here and I want at least 2 cuts from each pheno ... will the topping/FIM'ing help create the branchiness I'll need for easy clone cuts?

I know I will figure all this out as I go (I always do!) ... but I love to hear input and inputs ... thanks all.

FletchF.Fletch

Input

Input

Sounds like you're ready to roll!! If you decide not to top or fim, consider a shorter veg time. With this variety in hydro and strong light if you don't prune, you can start these at 12/12 and final size will still be 3ft (1m) or more. The tallest of six hit the roof of the tent with no veg time for me and had branches that were as long as some of the others were tall.

Enjoy the ride!

BenoitV1984

Veteran
Those pure sativa hybrids loves scrog/lst and pruning. Don't hesitate to abuse those qualities :). As for photoperiod, I think they'll be ok at 12/12 ;)

dubi

ACE Seeds Breeder
Vendor
Veteran
Looks delicious and dangerous at the same time Texas Tea :yummy:
Really beautiful, resinous and well grown Malawi x Panama buds, one of those buds will get a mule high for the whole day :bigeye:

I've only had this one in the jar for a few weeks, but she is getting better and better. Nice lemon and musk aromas mixed up. Buds are not real dense on this go round but certainly meaty enough...check out those huge sugary trichomes though. Very sweet smoke and quite potent, but not as mentally wild as the sister P x M. Glad to have plenty of seeds left to try this one again down the road.

[URL=https://www.icmag.com/ic/picture.php?albumid=85162&pictureid=2106628&thumb=1]View Image[/URL] [URL=https://www.icmag.com/ic/picture.php?albumid=85162&pictureid=2106629&thumb=1]View Image[/URL]

Thanks for the positive feedback FletchF.Fletch ;)

Fantastic hybrid of Sativa powerhouses. Big plants lots and lots of sticky buds. The Malawi leaning phenos hit you right behind the eyes.

Hi BadRabbit,

Glad you had a perfect germination rate with your Malawi x Panama fem :)

It's a very vigorous F1 hybrid between 2 already very vigorous sativas by themselves, it can easily increase its size 50-100 % during the first 4-5 weeks of early flowering stretching, so plan accordingly the change to flowering photoperiod. Like all sativas, Malawi x Panama reacts very well to pruning.

Best wishes with your pheno hunt, please keep us updated!

Tekvitamik

Hi everyone. I finally made up my mind ... after reading here on the forum about a lot of varieties and comparing them I made up my mind and ordered these Malawi x Panama seeds. my project would be to make a kind of SOG but by putting the seeds in 11 liter pots in a 1,2x1,2m box with a 1000w lamp. my idea would be to put them in bloom after a week of vegetative trying to exploit the yield in the central column. but I'm afraid not to stay there because from what I've read they can grow a lot. What do you think about it?

BenoitV1984

Veteran
In 120x120, I’d grow 4 in scrog. More plants don’t always mean more yield. I had two friends grow the same strain in same tent, light, vmc. One was growing 4, the other one 20. The one who grew 4 got more yield.

Btw, I think 1000w for such surface is completely overkill. 600 would be enough. The 400 more will just give you more heat to manage and the plants won’t like that.

Tekvitamik

ok, thanks for the reply. for the lamp I also have the 600 and I could use that, it is true that the 1000 could heat up too much. the 9 jars would be more of a test, to then select 4 clones from the two best phenotypes, and make a scrog in 25-liter jars with selected clones. however, I'd like to make the most of this growth too, and I'm always looking for some good advice.

CannaRed

Cannabinerd
:tiphat:
You can cut a piece of black felt or a piece of fabric pot and place on top of the media, so that algae will stop growing.
Or white plastic, or a paper plate with a slit.

BadRabbit

:tiphat:
You can cut a piece of black felt or a piece of fabric pot and place on top of the media, so that algae will stop growing.
Or white plastic, or a paper plate with a slit.

Thanks for the tip. However, I have to say, in 20 years + of growing with RW in 3 to 4 rooms at a time, I've never found the algae to cause any sort of problem or issues ... and I don't much care about the appearances.

I did, for a time, cover the top with clay pellets ... but long run, they are just a hassle and don't add anything to the plants/results.

Last edited:

bsgospel

Bat Macumba
A few Mal x Pan right before topping. Flowering after I see some branching.

Attachments

• IMG_20210214_071721049_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20210214_071721049_HDR.jpg
    246.4 KB · Views: 49

El Timbo

I've lost mine (but I still have around 180g of fine buds) - apart from all the very positive effects it has it also has one negative one - it sometimes induces travel sickness. It has happened to me once on a train and once in a car.

The other day after vaping it with a friend I was talking to her about this effect - that set her off! She felt nauseous for a few moments but soon recovered.

All in all though I love it and will miss it when my jars are empty.