What's new

Hydro to soil conversion:

Curious if anyone else has done this...

Since I moved, (but still next door to the Mojave desert) I have been unable to grow. But a friend of mine has offered me a plant, and a hole in the ground to grow it.
The thing is...he runs a hydro SCROG garden.

The plant is a 4' tall Big Bang, trained (thusfar) for SCROG growth.

We've taken a 15 gallon pot, cleaned out the hydroton pellets, kept it in the net pot... and carefully (as careful as possible) buried the root ball, filling voids as good as possible with Dr. Earth soil.

We did the conversion coming up on 2 weeks ago. Keeping ingoing (properly ph'd RO) water to 6.3ish ph, no nutrients.

Thusfar, I've removed maybe 5 fans with washed-out coloring. The rest of the plant remains "normal" green, healthy growing tips, no neckrosis.

In the next week or two, we'll be acclimating to outside then start training to a more upright growth habit. If branches are still a bit too flexible, (silica blast given since first cloned) will attempt a modified SCROG for branch support.
I can either link photo's from another site, or I'll have to find my PhotoBucket password...

Obviously, we've all heard-of (or done) bubble cloning, then transfering to soil for new starts, but has anyone had success doing so on a plant ready for flowering?
Has anyone ever even heard of this? I've Googled it, but am maybe using crappy search terms.
Any insight would be appreciated.

Rusty.

Lester Beans

Frequent Flyer
Veteran
Yes for sure, the main thing is to keep the soil very wet when transplanted. Once the roots take, normal soil moisture. If it has been two weeks and she is looking good, you are in my man. Happy growing!

No, not taking clones. Taking a 4 foot tall plant from hydro and switching it to soil.
Acclimating 'em to outdoors right now. About 4 hours a day.
They're doing fine, so we'll be transplanting into the ground soon. This week or next.
The weather is cooperating right now. Not too hot, not too cold. But still taking it slow and easy.
Thanks for the responses.
Rusty

Latest posts

Latest posts