What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

kerosene heater for large space

indocult

Hey whatup you guys happy new year

My ladies were getting a little too cold in my 16kw room, so I bought this big kerosene forced air heater to heat it up (it's 50k-80k btu selectable)

It heats it up really quick and it's nice because I can keep my big exhaust with carbon filter running during dark period so I don't stink up the neighborhood.

Two questions though.

One,
it puts out a fairly large flame inside the unit which casts a glow around. Are flames enough or the right kind of light to fuck up flowering? It only kicks on for about 3 minutes every half hour or so.

I have a space next to the room I could potentially put it in and exhaust the heat out via centrifugal fan if the flames will bother the plants

two,
This is not the most efficient setup, to recreate the heat from the lights on cycle in the dark cycle.
Though I kind of need to run the exhaust fan/filter 24/7 to take care of the stank... Pulling in the -10F air isn't helping with the heat
Should I split the 16k into 2- 8k rooms? then heat the dark with the heat from the lights on side?
I was planning to do this first, but I have one big exhaust in the middle of the room and I don't know how to make that work with two rooms.

any input greatly appreciated! I can post pics if it helps

Last edited:

DoubleTripleOG

Chemdog & Kush Lover Extraordinaire
ICMag Donor
If it's the kind of heater I'm thinking of, you should prolly return it a.s.a.p. Is it like this?

30730447.jpg

Those type of heaters are meant to use in a semi-outdoor/outdoor environment. Carbon monoxide poisoning is a big risk using that.

I would get one like this one. I have used one, and they work great, and are very efficient. Plus you get free co2 as a by-product of the heater burning the propane. The more expensive ones have thermostats, and with a thermometer, you can make it very efficient.

177218.jpg

Mikell

Dipshit Know-Nothing
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I'd second returning that.

You have a few options. Not all mutually exclusive.

Buffer cold intake with warm interior air. Very variable.

Seal off. Not variable.

Split room, alternate cycles.

Tone down out take at night cycle just enough to maintain odour control. Add supplemental heating (non-combustion).

Probably a few more I've missed.

indocult

yep that's the one double triple og
that was kinda my thoughts when i first hooked it up.
ill look into some propane one's, luckily they are less expensive as well as the propane itself.
thanks guys

mikell i want to seal and run c02 but it's not quite in the budget yet. i think splitting the room and alternating darl periods will be the most efficient. my exhaust with scrubber is only on one side but i guess ir doesn't matter if i exchange the air between the rooms..

mojave green

rockin in the free world
Veteran
Carbon monoxide won't build up if exhausting the air fairly frequently. Not sure that propane produces less carbon monoxide than other fuels.

DoubleTripleOG

Chemdog & Kush Lover Extraordinaire
ICMag Donor
Co2 genny's run on propane. Blue flame means it's burning clean. The one I posted and one's like it are meant to be used inside a home/building.

If you get a heater like the one I posted up, your all set to run sealed. Now when it gets warm out, that will prolly be too much heat. But for winter the work great. Check out the beginning of my Whorehouse thread, to see what I mean. That whole house had no heat, except for the ventless propane heater and the lights. Worked like a dream.

Mikell

Dipshit Know-Nothing
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Splitting the room with only one can is possible but would require controlled dampers, at least the way I'm thinking. And cost out the yang re: enough to put toward another can/co2.

Maybe I'm just not seeing it proper in the egg nog. Hard to see it coming together without more equipment.

Could keep the room whole but put a wye fitting on intake and alternate between house air and outdoors for night and day air exchange, respectively.

Duct heater? Although they're kind of dinky for this purpose and you'd want to know heating requirement.

panga

why not use a propane co2 generator? Probably have to add a lot of heat to get the fans running enough to keep ample fresh outside air in the winter, and we all know in a non co2 enriched room the worst thing in the world for yield is no air exchange...