What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

My 1st Grow :) Suggestions Appreciated

4 White Widow plants and 1 Xtreme Haze plant. They have had about 8 weeks of Vegetation period and now in the 1st week of Flowering. What you guys think? They all look like healthy plants to me:dance013: but I am a newbie so I could be wrong.

Any Suggestions?
- Should I add more lights? (Is the 2 lights above each plant enough? Any Benefit from adding Side Lights?)
- Are the Pots big enough? (I already transplanted 3 times)

picture.php
picture.php

Looks like you are trying to do all CFL's and keep it small. So what I can recommend is yes, side lighting will help. Any extra lighting will help. The most you can shove in that box would be good.

They look healthy and happy though besides that. Keep the airflow up and the humidity down and you should be very happy with your results.

Maybe add 4 more of those double fixtures, muahahaha.

Looks like you are trying to do all CFL's and keep it small. So what I can recommend is yes, side lighting will help. Any extra lighting will help. The most you can shove in that box would be good.

They look healthy and happy though besides that. Keep the airflow up and the humidity down and you should be very happy with your results.

Maybe add 4 more of those double fixtures, muahahaha.

Thanks for the tips, I will def. add side lights:) and I already have a carbon filter and fan inside tent with a humidifier outside the tent.

supermanlives

Veteran
are they really 100 watts or some lame comparison the company printed. as 10 x 100 =1000 watts and those bulbs look small for 100+. the 125s I had were way bigger ..

Yakov

yeah, I think those are 42w bulbs, which are the "equivalent" of 100w incandescent. you really need more like 3 of those doubles per plant. You might get away with just 4 bulbs, but you really need more light.

groog

your mj babies are looking great but i suggest you add more CFLs, maybe on both sides.. transplanting three times already? i suggest you also limit transplanting times coz that might stress your plants. i transplant only up to two times, rarely 3 from the seedling stage till flowering and harvest

Thanks for the tips, I will def. add more lights, going to home depot now :)

your mj babies are looking great but i suggest you add more CFLs, maybe on both sides.. transplanting three times already? i suggest you also limit transplanting times coz that might stress your plants. i transplant only up to two times, rarely 3 from the seedling stage till flowering and harvest

Yakov

I do have to say though, your plants are looking good. I'd consider a small fan in there to get them building strength for later. you can get cheap clip on ones from walmart that work pretty good.

I do have to say though, your plants are looking good. I'd consider a small fan in there to get them building strength for later. you can get cheap clip on ones from walmart that work pretty good.

I have 1 fan already but was planning to add 1-2 more. Oh also is it okay that I am running all of these lights and fans off a regular wall outlet?

lost in a sea

Lifer
Veteran
nope, they just aren't getting enough light still.

the quality of light (it's now thought) plants are concerned with is PAR light, photosythetically active radiation, measured in moles. those lights may obviously produce lumens but the energy within those packets of light is of low PAR and also not tuned to the most useful parts of the light spectrum for growing plants.. lumens are a quantity type thing and what we are concerned with it providing a quantity of high quality lumens that provide at least a few moles of energy a day. And for inducing worthwhile flowing you need more moles than just making leaves..

If you don't want to waste your time use a HID light or this will be a drawn out lesson and you will probably ironically waste more electricity and money going down this road of buying and more lights that were only designed to light human surfaces not penetrate and mimic the energy of the sun.

tube dude

When used correctly cfls can produce nice buds. It is best to train your pants to a short even canopy. Either scrog or lst The plant so that they stay short and bushy. Keep the bulb as close to the plants as possible without burning the plant. Cfls are only good enough for about the top 8 or so inches of a thick canopy.

Hash Zeppelin

Ski Bum Rodeo Clown
Premium user
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Just speaking ideals here, but in a 4x4 canopy, dont waste your time with anything under 1000 watts. a 1000 watt hps in a cool tube hood is literally the perfect amount of light for that area. 600 not enough.

my suggestion is pony up the cash and get the 1k HPS. when you master that one light you can get 2 pounds a harvest. roughly 8 pounds a year. At first you will probably get half that, but practice and it will pay off.

but i understand not every one can go that route. my suggestion is make a large reflector out of cardboard and white paint to go over the lights to concentrate the light in there. half your light is going up top.