What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

MrAwder's Basement Grow 3.0

MrAwder

Welcome

Time for a new thread... Had to tear down my last setup to call in a plumber and deal with some flooding nonsense. Figured it was time for some upgrades and another bit of expansion. Things will be starting off slow while I get my finances in order and supplies together. Still plenty to do though and plenty to document.

I want to kick off the new thread by showing my last setup and talking about some of the genetics I'll be running. Then I'll move onto to where I am at as of today and will document all the building, then growing, from here on out.

Here was the space on day 1, a little over a year ago:

Just an old shower in the basement.

And here is a good shot of how the room looked at it's best:

And some harvest shots because everyone like flower pics:

MrAwder

Genetics

Current Mothers: Super Lemon Haze, Deathstar, Afghani Mango, Candy
All except for SLH are Ohio clone-only's.

L->R: SLH, AM, DS, Candy

Plant/Buds of each, same order:

New Strains: Deep Strawberry Diesel (Fractal), Midas (Rare Dankness), Pure AK (Female Seeds)

DSD

Midas

Pure AK

MrAwder

The Space

Previously my grow space was limited to the 4x4 shower and a 2x2 tent. I have decided to put up a wall and expand this area to be roughly 6' x 11'. In this I plan on fitting a 1200+ Watt flower chamber, Veg area, clones, moms, resevoirs, etc. Everything must be totally contained in this space.

"Panoramic" shot

Shower all cleaned out.

Last night was spent vacuuming out all cobwebs from the floor joists above the area and scrubbing *everything* with a 10% bleach solution.

Here are the plants moved into the veg area. The shower will be new the veg location, however I will be replacing this shelving unit (used to be inside my tent) with some wire shelving and a 400W MH.

MrAwder

The Plan

Here are some illustrations of what I envision as the final outcome:

The green area shows the shower. The pink area will be the new flower chamber. It will be roughly 6x3.5 with 2 side-by-side 600W lights setup to move vertically. The rough idea is 2 donuts, each fed by its own resevoir. I may add additional wattage and skip the mover if I think the heat can be handled. Next to the shower area will be roughly 2ft where I am hoping I can fit a large res for RO water. The large boxes represent the reservoirs for each system (2 donuts and veg).

The system itself will be coco bato buckets or top fed hempys (essentially the same thing). 6-8 per light.

Next steps:
- run second circuit (new wiring)
- mount fan and scrubber
- move sink and cut down counter to make room for wall

G

GMax

Nice bro that deathstar looks delicious.. I have actually been thinking of reordering some Sensi Star... but I would much rather get that... I am gonna have to start asking around but I don't tend to associate with other growers

I am drawing a blank on what the genetics are... I know it is Sensi x ??? I wanna say Sour d.. I have read about it before and just remember thinking that sounds like an amazing cross !!! yours look super tasty I love the color !!!

they sell 150g tanks... that's what I got instead of the square 375g that you see more often cause I wouldn't be able to get it in the basement... it is skinnier and may be able to fit in your space

some of you seem to be pretty good with that sketchup.. I guess I need to learn how to use it

you got that sweet room to grow in and seem to be using the space pretty efficiently.. I will be watching with my popcorn.. gl :tiphat:

ps i am pretty sureI have smoked that candy before ... at least that's what they called it and that shit was bomb !!!!

MrAwder

Thanks for stopping by GMax. I've got most of my Death Star (sensi star x ecsd) info from this thread: https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=158821 And a lot of "lore" to go with it since it is (arguably) an Ohio originated clone and I am in roughly that geographical area. It's one of the few strains people in this region actually talk about, along with the likes of "meigs county gold". That thread has some good info on other strains from Ohio too and it is the only other place I have seen Candy mentioned... anywhere. The pics here (https://www.icmag.com/ic/showpost.php?p=5277658&postcount=283) of Afghani Mango and Candy are what I first discovered after being gifted the cut and the profiles of both my plants match them to a T. The Candy is exactly what it sounds like - small golf ball sized rock hard buds that smells like skittles and covered in sugar. I actually think the effect is a little on the weak side but it is very clear and relaxing. Yields very well considering it doesn't produce any very massive individual buds and makes killer BHO. I think if/when I ever try to make my own seeds that it will be getting hit with some pollen.

Anyway I could ramble about strains forever... I did want to mention your grows with Sour Bubble led me to grabbing a few packs of LouDog's SB x Casey Jones. Both strains looks like they could pop some phenos that would perform nicely in a vscrog. On deck for the next seed run.

G

GMax

I am glad that I was able to inspire that strain choice.. I have been on the seed hunt this last couple weeks and was eyeing the casey jones myself... so a cross of the two would be terrific.... me and SB have had some great times over the years and it has inspired me to get more BOG genetics... I just cant for the life of me decide on which one... i kinda want to get them all but it would take me forever to go through all those beans

I have heard all about meigs county gold that's one of the most popular folk lore stories around here, along with the rumors of how booby trapped the grows are lol.... and also Dumpster is one of the others i hear a lot ... the Candy sounds like what I had before except that I remember it was STRONG.. one hitter quitter was an understatement.. the dude wanted like $500oz though... it was ridiculous, but there were quite a few willing to pay it..

i can also blab about genetics all day.. so i am gonna cut it off there... i cant wait to find a few keepers and make some seeds myself... SB will definitely be in my gene pool

i have enjoyed your past grows, always making me wish i had a square shower like that... so i look forward to this one...

gotta love that awkward moment when your old flower room becomes your new veg :)

D

DHF

Welcome back Bro.....Hope all goes well with the upgrades....

Peace....DHF.....:ying:.....

MrAwder

Got an easy job done last night. Mounted the scrubber and fan. First time using tie straps to mount the scrubber (got the idea from a thread here somewhere). Way easier than bungies.

Next Tasks:
- move sink
- run electric
- remount RO filter + new RO res

b00m

~No Guts~ ~No Glory~
Mentor
Veteran
Tagged up for the rest of your show :tiphat:
Appreciate the construction/building photos as it gives a much better perspective to your grow :good:
:plant grow:

Mister_D

Veteran
Subbed in for round 2 :biggrin: Rather fond of using straps myself ;). I also use chain for a lot of things, but straps are nice for heavy, awkward objects.

MrAwder

Thanks for dropping in everyone. Bobble, still waiting on the new thread ;)

Now that I got some eyes in here, wondering if anyone could talk about preventitive measures regarding pests. I had a small mite outbreak at the end of this last harvest. As I said before everything has been scrubbed with a 10% bleach solution. Since then I have been hitting everything with a random rotation of the following:

- Safer's End All
- Safer's Trounce
- AzaMax
- Neem Concentrate + SM90 (diluted)
- Neem II (a neem + pyrethrin off the shelf mix, just finishing the bottle)

Every 5 days or so I grab something at random off the shelf and give everything a good spray and turn off the lights for the night. I am also using mosquito crumbles on top of my coco to keep gnats down (it seems to be less effective lately). And feeding with SM90 @ 5ml/gal.

I also put in a Hot Shot No-Prest strip but will probably only leave it around for a week. I know they use some pretty hefty stuff in those. I figure I am weeks away from even beginning to flower anything so it should be alright at this point. Lastly, I plan to bomb with a Pro-Control fogger right before I fire everything up (construction is finished).

Am I missing anything obvious, cheap or easy to implement?

Now that I got some eyes in here, wondering if anyone could talk about preventitive measures regarding pests. I had a small mite outbreak at the end of this last harvest. As I said before everything has been scrubbed with a 10% bleach solution. Since then I have been hitting everything with a random rotation of the following:

- Safer's End All
- Safer's Trounce
- AzaMax

Every 5 days or so I grab something at random off the shelf and give everything a good spray and turn off the lights for the night. I am also using mosquito crumbles on top of my coco to keep gnats down (it seems to be less effective lately). And feeding with SM90 @ 5ml/gal.

I also put in a Hot Shot No-Prest strip but will probably only leave it around for a week. I know they use some pretty hefty stuff in those. I figure I am weeks away from even beginning to flower anything so it should be alright at this point. Lastly, I plan to bomb with a Pro-Control fogger right before I fire everything up (construction is finished).

nice!!:)MrAwder,i dont know much about all the fungicides available out there,but sulfur 'vapourizers ', work very well,especially in cases where you've already set-up the grow and dont want to rip the entire thing down,the vapour fills the entire air coating plants ,leaves and surfaces ,preventing their eggs from hatching and kills just about everything hiding that you cant see!my 2 cents
pt

bobblehead

Veteran

- Safer's End All
- Safer's Trounce
- AzaMax

ha ha... The new thread will come in due time. 1. I wanted to take a break from keeping a thread with weekly updates. 2. I still have a lot to learn about organics before I start running my mouth.

I will tell you this though... If you want your plants to be resistant to pests, disease, mold, fungus, etc... you should go organic. Synthetic fertilizers have large quantities of nitrates, which KILLS your BRIX. BRIX is the measurement of sugars within the plant. A high BRIX means your plants are happy, healthy, and pest/disease resistant. A plant fed synthetic fertilizers can appear to be healthy, but its extremely susceptible to the things that can make the crop go south fast.

just my $0.02.

:tiphat:

P.S. I'm expecting to turn a lot of people on their heads in the vert forum... :)

P.S.S. I you make a tea of EWC, kelp, Alfalfa meal, and capulator root and foliar packs, your plants will be much healthier. The foliar pack has bacteria and fungi that infect pests such as mites and will kill them. You can go to OGbiowar.com and use FARMER as a coupon code.

Mister_D

Veteran
ha ha... The new thread will come in due time. 1. I wanted to take a break from keeping a thread with weekly updates. 2. I still have a lot to learn about organics before I start running my mouth.

I will tell you this though... If you want your plants to be resistant to pests, disease, mold, fungus, etc... you should go organic. Synthetic fertilizers have large quantities of nitrates, which KILLS your BRIX. BRIX is the measurement of sugars within the plant. A high BRIX means your plants are happy, healthy, and pest/disease resistant. A plant fed synthetic fertilizers can appear to be healthy, but its extremely susceptible to the things that can make the crop go south fast.

just my $0.02.

:tiphat:

P.S. I'm expecting to turn a lot of people on their heads in the vert forum... :)

P.S.S. I you make a tea of EWC, kelp, Alfalfa meal, and capulator root and foliar packs, your plants will be much healthier. The foliar pack has bacteria and fungi that infect pests such as mites and will kill them. You can go to OGbiowar.com and use FARMER as a coupon code.

I see you've been learning padowan :respect:. There is reasons for my big garden being full on organic, recycled soil goodness :peek:

MrAwder

Always been interested in going organic, just not there yet. Need to get this built and a few more runs down where I know what I'm doing first. I will definitely take a look at making up some tea with those root and foliar packs though. Do you use that as a foliar spray then?

bobblehead

Veteran
foliar + root drench = the happiest plants I've ever had. Making this tea is what turned me on to organics to begin with. If you take care of the microbes, they'll take care of your plants. Synthetic ferts kill the beneficial microbes... and reduce the quality of the finished product.

Do what works for you... I've used synthetics for years with good results. I would just like to think that I've seen the light...

Latest posts

Latest posts