What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

10 Gallon Organic Soil with BluMats - I Need Advice!!

MileHighGuy

Veteran
I could just read and read and run myself in circles trying to get all the latest and greatest info for BluMats… but I was hoping you kind experienced blumat’ers could help me out.

I recently committed to using the BluMats 100%, I really can’t see a reason to avoid it any longer.

I just purchased a Patio set of 12 BluMats but I fear that they are to small and will be only used for my actual patio plants… or possibly my veg room.

The flower room is where I need help:

Typically 12 Plants in 7-10 Gallon containers with Organic Soil…. Usually a super soil.

The plants are grouped in 2’s and are 11 days apart as a perpetual grow.

The water needs of all the plants are different based on their different times in the flower room.

I was hoping to put a large reservoir about 4 feet off the ground on top of a large workbench I have near my tent.

Now here is what I’m confused on

Should I buy 2 Patio Kits and just put 2 of the blumats into each 10 Gallon Smart Pot?

Should I buy the Maxi Blumats and use those?

Should I buy 2 Maxi’s for each plant?

Anyone out there rocking organic soil with 10 gallons and having success?

:tiphat:

silver hawaiian

Veteran
MHG

Glad to see you! My experience tells me that for a 10 gal, you're probably better served with the Maxi's - two of them at least, maybe three?

One of the regular blumats is great for a 3 gal, and on my last run, I did have a couple 5 gal containers also. The 5 gals seemed to do much better with two blumats in 'em.

However, since the 5 gal (and 10 gal) are deeper containers, I think the Maxi would probably be a better fit. I'm back to 3 gal containers this round (okay, one 5 gal, with two reggalar blumats), but at one plant I was figuring that if I did multiple 5 gal pots, I'd upgrade to the maxis.

HTH :)

MileHighGuy

Veteran
Thanks Silver! I knew I could expect some good advice from you.

I am looking at the Maxi's as we speak... but this "little" add on... is getting expensive and real quick.

jcmjrt

After reading so many good things about the blumat system, I've been considering one myself. I was thinking that I would need the maxi in a 3+ gallon pot that's rather tall - about 12 in. Is there a kit with the maxi blumats? I've done a little looking so far and have found the regular kits and then maxis for sale separately but not a maxi kit.

G

greenmatter

are you close to one of the Way to Grow stores ........ they have all the blumat stuff in stock

kent systems is just south of FoCo

blumats fuckin rock ! you are gonna be a happy gardener

jcmjrt

I'm not near a Way to Grow - looks like all are in CO. Too bad since I looked them up on the web and they seem to have a lot of good materials including blumat. I would like to be able to touch/buy from a local distributor. I'm a little further west - SF Bay - near Oakland.

G

greenmatter

I'm not near a Way to Grow - looks like all are in CO. Too bad since I looked them up on the web and they seem to have a lot of good materials including blumat. I would like to be able to touch/buy from a local distributor. I'm a little further west - SF Bay - near Oakland.

sorry man! i was actually throwing that info out there for milehighguy ....... and even then i was assuming that his screen name has something to do with his location

MileHighGuy

Veteran
Yep I'm in Colorado... but In the middle of nowhere... and the nearest shop is awesome, but they don't carry these... YET.

I finally received my 12 pack today about 4 days late... but better late than never, I actually watched the USPS tracking # go all over the place and then back to where it started and then back to me.... crazy.

I Really think that the Maxi's will be the way to go... but I'm not 100% positive that they are necessary.... let me explain.

In the Plastic containers... they bottom would stay moist.

But in the Fabric Smart pots that I'm using the moisture goes much faster and I feel that the moisture is also more evenly reduced through the fabric sides. After reading the instructions that come with them I might try 2 or 3 per pot with a couple of drippers per BluMat that would be 4-6 drip sites and the 10 Gallon big ones are wider than they are tall... so I could also run maybe 7 gallons in them and keep the depth lower.....

I'm still doing some more reading and I will be testing them soon enough.

Thanks for the comments so far.... Any ideas about my thoughts above?

What extra parts will I need for the maxis? Trying to price it on waytogrow.com since they have them just don't know what all parts I need to go with them. Thanks for info.

silver hawaiian

Veteran
MHG

I think as long as you're open minded, you'll be good to start with what you've got. (Provided you've got an extra length of drip line :) )

So, in line with your thinking about the smart pot, sides drying out, therefore the soil mass as a whole may therefore dry out more uniformly (instead of top-to-bottom), then I'd start with probably 3 blumats (regular ones) per pot.

If, over time, you find that doesn't work as effectively as you'd like, then I'd go ahead and upgrade to the maxis.

You can always use the regular ones (from the patio kit/whatever just arrived) for veg/smaller container size gals..

Atlantic, I don't think you'd need any extra parts (aside from the usual) to use the maxis. As long as you've got the rest of the shebang, you oughtta be good.

MileHighGuy

Veteran
Anyone ever us the Disribution Drippers to increase the coverage?

They allow you to have multiple drip sites from one blumat.

I've read that the Maxi's can leave the top to dry by measuring the moisture to deep. In my opinion after reading a little bit, I really think I'm going to go with the regular patio kit and either run 2 blumats per container or 1 with several distribution drippers.

MileHighGuy

Veteran
@ silver

I read your comment after I posted the last one... I think you are right! But... have you ever heard bout these distribution drippers.... after all, I think that one "measuring" location could be potentially easier to dial in... or maybe I'm way off.... cause I've never used em. Watcha?

silver hawaiian

Veteran
+ ^think

;)

I've seen 'em in the manual, kinda dig the idea, .. But I have no experience with 'em.

I suppose if you can imagine the area covered by the sensor dripper, and kind of just replicate that (in your case, I'm imagining a main sensor with two distributor drippers, in a triangle sort of shape)..

Though when I initially read it, I imagined it more for use in a bed sort of application, ..

Hmm. I'd love to see it in action. :D

MileHighGuy

Veteran
So... I didn't buy any extra tubing... is this size not readily available at the hardware store? Should I order more from sustainable village when I get the Distribution drippers?

silver hawaiian

Veteran
Definitely

Oh - and I meant to mention, in re: extending the feed tube from the sensor..

They length they recommend is (I think) 8 mm. Roughly 4".

I think that if you muck with that too much, es no bueno.

G

greenmatter

Anyone ever us the Disribution Drippers to increase the coverage?

They allow you to have multiple drip sites from one blumat.

I've read that the Maxi's can leave the top to dry by measuring the moisture to deep. In my opinion after reading a little bit, I really think I'm going to go with the regular patio kit and either run 2 blumats per container or 1 with several distribution drippers.

sunnydog used the slave drippers and was not a real fan. not really sure if he has tried them since he started running the pressure regulator.

i know it is a long thread, but sunnydog and the other heads lay down all the info you need on blumats. if you are serious about using these things i promise you that you won't regret reading that thread ...... twice

sunnydog

Drip King
Veteran
sunnydog used the slave drippers and was not a real fan. not really sure if he has tried them since he started running the pressure regulator.

i know it is a long thread, but sunnydog and the other heads lay down all the info you need on blumats. if you are serious about using these things i promise you that you won't regret reading that thread ...... twice

The slaves are excellent. I had a problem with them clogging OUTDOORS, so I was not recommending them. However, indoors with clean water, they have worked flawlessly.
:joint:
They rocked on this GIANT, TOTALLY ROOTBOUND Golden Tiger in a ~7 gal.

Latest posts

Latest posts