What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Real Droid X problem... calling all supergeeks!

Crazy Composer

Medicine Planter
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I've gotten great help from the people at this site in the past, I'm hoping to get it again! :)

So, my first foray into the world of rooting Droids came with my original Droid 1... it went well. However, I went out a few months ago and got me a shiny, new Droid X. I rooted it with RSD Lite and some rooting method off the net. It worked fine. Then, and I can't tell you exactly what happened, it started acting strangely.

Symptoms:
I can't uninstall ANY apps whatsoever. Well... to be exact, I can uninstall, but when I reboot the phone, everything I uninstalled comes right back as if I never uninstalled them.

So I tried using Bootstrap, Rom Manager, etc... but the place I run into issues is... at the boot... If the phone won't remember anything at ALL from before the reboot, how can it take any new ROMS?

So, my question is... How can I force a new image onto the phone to get a fresh start when the phone doesn't remember anything from before the boot?

Please ask your techie friends to help me out here! This thing cost me $600... and when it got sick, I went out and spent ANOTHER $600 on another Droid X... which is running smoothly... rooted... running the Apex MOD. So I have $1200 worth of Droid X', but only $600 of them work! :)

cocktail frank

Ubiquitous
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
i've noticed that some of the stock apps can't be removed at all on the droid X.

i personally havent done anything too techy with mine.

the only rom's i put on were for old school video game emulators.
which if youre down, id recommend rom buddy, its free and tons of games!

Crazy Composer

Medicine Planter
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I appreciate it, TT, but this isn't a matter of removing bloatware. Removing Bloatware is a cinch... fixing my X will be (I suspect) a very advanced task.

***Again... every reboot leaves the phone in the state it was in before the reboot... meaning it cannot change at all. Even if I add an app... it will be gone after rebooting... which is why I cannot get new ROMS on there.***

Capn

your first bet is trying to put the phone back to factory settings, u can do this usually by holding the green phone sign while the phone is booting up, this loads the bootloader.
u can put a custom bootloader that lets u install .zips from a sdcard to let u install custom radio/spl/os.
if that doesnt work, u need the android sdk and adb and u can use that to flash the files from your computer via usb cable.

xda-developers is the place to find this information.

cocktail frank

Ubiquitous
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
funny story, after reading about CC's problems, i decided to mess around with my DX for a minute.

was running RDS Lite 4.7 w/ patch (.ini file swap), hooked the DX up to my PC via usb cable,
figured i'd d/l the new operating version and possibly change the theme.

well, little did i kno i was running bootloader 30.04 on my new phone.
figured it was 30.03 like all the droids prior.
well.................u/l'ing to the new 2.2. ver using the .sbf file for the 30.03 loader!

needless to say, the phone is now FUCKED.not too mention that rooting phones instantly voids warranty!
can't even get RSD to see my phone via the usb cord.
can't even flash it back to the way i bought it.

looks like CC isn't the only one eating $500.

now im stuck on the bootloader, fucking os wont even fire!

Hundred Gram Oz

Our Work is Never Over
Veteran
My phone ain't got these kinda problem's ;)

mobile-phone-with-camera.jpg

Capn

RSD won't see your phone? I'm not sure what this means. Can you get it into fastboot mode by holding down the camera+power+back buttons while booting it? Then pressing the back button when your spl screen pops up to start fast boot? Then you can use adb to flash all new os. If you need help I can walk you through it.

What all does your phone do? how far does it get when its booting? It sounds like it boots into yout os fine just wont save anything. So you should be able to flash a new os and fix this problem and your phone.