What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

How to make Honey Oil, Earwax, Budder, Jelly from BHO??

CurbsideService

Hey to the Community!
My friend has a Butane Recycling System we have been using to make hash oil, very industrial, no aerosol cans, he uses a 40lbs bottle of 99.9% pure medical grade butane. As far volume we have been VERY, VERY pleased in the amounts of oil processed. That being said, I dont want to pretend this is best oil I have ever had...Looking through some of these BHO threads I have seen some lovely golden honeys oils, almost see through clear? Tan, even greyish oils, some stuff called amber? His while, mind numbingly good, is very dark in color....As pictured below...

My questions...
Is it the process of which its made that changes it color?
The quality of the herb used? Different strains (His is All made with top quality)
How does he get it golden honey colored and visibly clearer like that?
How does it get processed to Earwax and Budda?

any good threads, sites, books I could read to help me out?

I appreciate the help, were trying to strive for excellence, not good, but we want the best!

I will see if he will let me take some pics of the recycling system, A true site to be seen...I know the community would appreciate a glimpse at it!

Hammerhead

Disabled Farmer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Grinded up bud will make oil dark
Long cured bud will make dark oil
Certain strians will make dark oil
Not enough Tane can make darker oil.

I try to make all my oil with a 3 month cure or less.

Hammerhead

Disabled Farmer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
This oil was made with bud that was 8 months cureD Super lemon Haze

picture.php

I made this with 1 month cure Biogen Destroyer buds

picture.php

Gray Wolf

A Posse ad Esse. From Possibility to realization.
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Just as a note, if you stretch honey oil out thin, it is light amber, and if you try to pass light through it in bulk, it is super redish dark amber. A function of the way it passes and reflects light.

If you heat and decarboxylate it, it will turn from amber to more red.

It can also contain a lot of green, depending on your extracton method. You can remove most of that by turning it from a concrete or oleoresin to an absolute. You can also mix the oil ~8/10 to one in alcohol and filter with activated charcoal.

The method of extraction makes a difference. Extracting from fresh green material makes a significantly lighter oil than cured material.

fireman

No expert but as far as i know you mix in a bit of water in with the oil and start whipping it , as whipping omlette, or stirring works as well nad it will start to look more like earwax or budder. Definitely look for some more info on this hopefully this will jsut be a jumping off point as i have never made any but plan too in the next couple days.

Gray Wolf

A Posse ad Esse. From Possibility to realization.
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Here are some pictures to illustrate my point. All are done with cured material but the last, which was done with fresh frozen material and chilled butane.

Please excuse the lack of clarity in the sunlight due to the bubble spatters on the surface of the beaker, but you can see the lighter color of the still warm decarboxylated oil from green material, as it cools in the bottom of a beaker.

Also notice on the first example, I sloshed it while it was still hot and left a thin wash on the inside of the jar. Note how clear and light amber it looks, versus the dark stuff in the bottom of the jar, which is exactly the same stuff.

The photo with two beakers shown, demonstrates how isomerizing darkens the oil as compared to the just decarboxylated oil sample beside it. The pockmarks in the surface where samples were pulled, show the thickness of the film. Both of these samples were filtered at 0.2 microns.

Look at the isomerized sample on the scraper, and how it lightens in color in areas where it is stretched thin.

Attachments

• isomerize-2.jpg
    isomerize-2.jpg
    25.6 KB · Views: 11
  • Dry cured oil.jpg
    Dry cured oil.jpg
    45 KB · Views: 12
  • Isomerized and decarboxylated samples.jpg
    Isomerized and decarboxylated samples.jpg
    31 KB · Views: 15
  • Green BHO.jpg
    Green BHO.jpg
    67.3 KB · Views: 16

CurbsideService

hmmm, We will definatly have to try a batch thats lil more fresh, see how that turns out!

As for Earwax? any detailed directions from someone?

Greyskull

Twice as clear as heaven and twice as loud as reas
ICMag Donor
Veteran
i ran 146g of freshly dried buds (like 7 days dry!)... used 10 cans total of vector

ground everything up ion a coffee grinder and did 2 "loads"... fisrt load was 3/5 of the material and we used 6 cans...we refined/purged it and ended up with about 10-12g of really dark goo

the last 2/5 of material we ran 4 cans thru and yeilded 8-10g of golden gooey goodness....

which is strange becasue we used the exact same plant material but got 2 totally different looking shades of goo... both smoke the same and knock you the fuck out... just different colors... so ive got the same question as you - why???

i had some goo turn into budder nto really sure how it happened though maybe it was freezing it then thawing it and letting it air out and refreezing then thawing that did it?

CurbsideService

strange becasue we used the exact same plant material but got 2 totally different looking shades of goo... both smoke the same and knock you the fuck out... just different colors... so ive got the same question as you - why???

i had some goo turn into budder nto really sure how it happened though maybe it was freezing it then thawing it and letting it air out and refreezing then thawing that did it?

I have wanted to experiment with freezing and refreezing...
Im fascinated with the clearer oils...

like I said he reclaims the butane so only extremely minimal amounts of gas is lost. It involves a full liquide butane saturation, transfer and evap...Quanity is not his problem, he is trying to refine the oil and purify it further, making it clear??? or into Earwax??? as stated earlier his product is very, very good, just looking for ways to process different kinds of hash out of the oil?

Thanks again for all the answers and help, I love the pics too!

funkfingers

Long haired country boy
Veteran
to make my bho into earwax, I put the purged bho (in a pyrex dish) on to a hot plate and emulsify it ( add air) then after about 20 minutes of whipping I freeze it. Freeze for an hour or 2 bring back to room temp.. I repeat this process 3-4 times, usually on the 3rd time when you try to whip it, it just goes to wax..

CurbsideService

to make my bho into earwax, I put the purged bho (in a pyrex dish) on to a hot plate and emulsify it ( add air) then after about 20 minutes of whipping I freeze it. Freeze for an hour or 2 bring back to room temp.. I repeat this process 3-4 times, usually on the 3rd time when you try to whip it, it just goes to wax..
Thanks for that!

HerbGlaze

Eugene Oregon
Veteran
picture.php

picture.php

Sure do love this shit, makes me so medicated.

This is my first time making oil alone though, so i hope to become a master oil maker.

funkfingers

Long haired country boy
Veteran
I forgot to mention in my earlier post that in my experience, there are certain strains that just will not wax up no matter what you do..

Haven't figured out why that could be?? thoughts.?? The only thing I could reason I could think that this would happen is maybe some plants produce more oily resins than others..

dope_roor

It is my belief that buhdder or ear wax is produced by whipping the oil under low to medium heat so that the wax in the oil breaks down in structure and reconstitutes itself as a solid

i think it has to do with trichome head size and the % ratio of wax to inner psychoactive material. some strains can "auto buhdder" due to a greater concentration of wax to begin with