Register ICMag Forum Menu Features Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
You are viewing our:
in:
Forums > Marijuana Growing > Growroom Designs & Equipment > LED Grow Lights > LED / COB for A 3 x 3 - help me choose please

Thread Title Search
Click to Visit Barney's Farm
LED / COB for A 3 x 3 - help me choose please Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 11-13-2017, 12:11 PM #1
Tipunch

Tipunch will become famous soon enoughTipunch will become famous soon enough
LED / COB for A 3 x 3 - help me choose please

Hello Team,

I have A 3 x 3 and want to switch from HPS to LED or COB. Been doing my homework, and have A few models I'm looking at. Maybe some of you can share some feedback, that would be great

My down selection:
Morsen COB 600w, or
Viparspectra 600w, or
Galaxyhydro 600w LED, or
Lightmetunnel 400w COB, or
Roleadro 400w COB, or
Apollo 400w LED

Basically less than 200 bucks for reliable and effective product. COB seems to outperform LED and 600w would be A better choice than 400w for A 3 x 3!

Any a thoughts, suggestions and advices?

Thanks
Tipunch is offline Quote

Old 11-13-2017, 07:51 PM #2
Koondense

Koondense is a glorious beacon of lightKoondense is a glorious beacon of lightKoondense is a glorious beacon of lightKoondense is a glorious beacon of lightKoondense is a glorious beacon of lightKoondense is a glorious beacon of lightKoondense is a glorious beacon of lightKoondense is a glorious beacon of lightKoondense is a glorious beacon of lightKoondense is a glorious beacon of lightKoondense is a glorious beacon of light
Koondense has completed 1 grow reports. Click to see my Grow Reports
Meh, not really effective products to be honest.
First those are not true watts, you need to know what you're buying.

For a 3x3 get 300-400 real watts of cree or vero or citizen cob but it will cost more than 200$.
If you can stretch to 600-700$ you can get a proper cob light like Timber 4VS with vero cobs, probably best bang for buck cob light in the entry/mid range.
Anything less will be ok but not spectacular, so save some more. It's worth it.

Cheers
Koondense is offline Quote

3 members found this post helpful.
Old 11-14-2017, 12:52 AM #3
Tipunch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koondense View Post
Meh, not really effective products to be honest.
First those are not true watts, you need to know what you're buying.

For a 3x3 get 300-400 real watts of cree or vero or citizen cob but it will cost more than 200$.
If you can stretch to 600-700$ you can get a proper cob light like Timber 4VS with vero cobs, probably best bang for buck cob light in the entry/mid range.
Anything less will be ok but not spectacular, so save some more. It's worth it.

Cheers
Hi Koondense, thx for honesty and sound advice. I'm not familiar with these citizen, cree, quantums, bridgelux and Vero. From my first readings, vero seems to be a nice choice but honestly all seems like DIY stuff. Are there any pre-built boards with no DIY or is it just assembling various lights in A chain/daisy like way?

What would you recommend for the cheapest safest & best option for A 3x3, with least DIY? Needs to be easily available in yurup!

Thanks mate
Tipunch is offline Quote

Old 11-14-2017, 01:33 AM #4
iBogart

iBogart is just really niceiBogart is just really niceiBogart is just really niceiBogart is just really niceiBogart is just really niceiBogart is just really niceiBogart is just really niceiBogart is just really niceiBogart is just really nice
Least DIY? The most bang for your buck IMO is this https://timbergrowlights.com/model-3ts/

They ship worldwide. Contact them for details.
iBogart is offline Quote

2 members found this post helpful.
Old 11-14-2017, 01:50 AM #5
Koondense

Koondense is a glorious beacon of lightKoondense is a glorious beacon of lightKoondense is a glorious beacon of lightKoondense is a glorious beacon of lightKoondense is a glorious beacon of lightKoondense is a glorious beacon of lightKoondense is a glorious beacon of lightKoondense is a glorious beacon of lightKoondense is a glorious beacon of lightKoondense is a glorious beacon of lightKoondense is a glorious beacon of light
In EU there are import taxes for US products.
What's your budget?

Old 11-14-2017, 09:52 AM #6
Tipunch

These Timber look great but cost an arm per 100w. I'm just looking to replace my HPS and not into commercial growing with my tiny 3x3 tent. Looking at some guys which pull pretty good grows with Chinese stuff I feel the gap with top notch products like you are suggesting is very large in price. I was hoping to spend no more than 300 Bucks for a good 450-600w light. But I understand your point in terms of benefit per dollar spent on the long run compared to soso Chinese stuff. What would be the best entry level product, safe and doesn't cost my two army and legs for A few hundred watts? Timber looks like A formula 1
Tipunch is offline Quote

Old 11-14-2017, 06:47 PM #7
Koondense

Do yourself a favor and build a 4 cob system with pc fan heatsinks and total output of 400w.
It can cost you between 350-400$, you'll learn a lot and will be very satisfied with the light.
Or a 300w setup for around 300$.
Forget old led tech and jump on the fastest train

Cheers

2 members found this post helpful.
Old 11-14-2017, 06:59 PM #8
positivity

positivity is just really nicepositivity is just really nicepositivity is just really nicepositivity is just really nicepositivity is just really nicepositivity is just really nicepositivity is just really nicepositivity is just really nicepositivity is just really nice
Ceramic halide smokes plain white led for growing
If your a grower you might have noticed that. At least the growers I know including myself feel so. No lie, put them through the ringer
Not so sure about the mixed led packages, might be some good ones out there.. Probably expensive

Get the ballast from China for roughly $80 for 315, $140 for 630. Buy the reflector from somewhere local that works best for your grow spot. Big beam.. Small beam.. Air cooled... Open. Cmh mogul adapter if you need it
Or source a complete package locally, whatever works for you
Opinions cool right
positivity is offline Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 11-14-2017, 07:15 PM #9
positivity

positivity is just really nicepositivity is just really nicepositivity is just really nicepositivity is just really nicepositivity is just really nicepositivity is just really nicepositivity is just really nicepositivity is just really nicepositivity is just really nice
Just wanted to add, if you have your heart set on a cob light id probably go king brite on alibaba for parts or rapid led for a finished light. King brite was the original parts place when people first started looking to build their own. No idea what they have now as I haven't looked lately. Rapid has been around for a long time also
positivity is offline Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 11-14-2017, 08:47 PM #10
Tipunch

Lots of great feedback guys, Thanks. It's just that I wanted to go the easy route as I'm expecting my 4th kid for christmas, have loads of work and want to get started asap on my indoor plan. Looks like I need to extend my homework so keep it going on thoughts please
Tipunch is offline Quote