Register ICMag Forum Menu Features Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
You are viewing our:
in:
Forums > Talk About It! > Cannabis Concentrates > carrot/turnip terpene?

Thread Title Search
carrot/turnip terpene? Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 11-14-2017, 09:27 PM #1
clearheaded

clearheaded will become famous soon enough
carrot/turnip terpene?

What is the compound that gives the carrot smell? back in the day always thought prob caryophelene sp, but doesnt match descriptions.

I suppose more of turnip smell or very strong carrot.

perhaps not a terpene at all but just curious what it is.

EDIT: PARSNIP not turnip...

Last edited by clearheaded; 11-16-2017 at 06:31 AM..
clearheaded is online now Quote

Click to shop for Extractors and Hardware
Old 11-14-2017, 11:28 PM #2
WaterFarmFan

WaterFarmFan is just really niceWaterFarmFan is just really niceWaterFarmFan is just really niceWaterFarmFan is just really niceWaterFarmFan is just really niceWaterFarmFan is just really niceWaterFarmFan is just really niceWaterFarmFan is just really nice
I am not sure which one it is, but Ace Zamaldelica has the most carrot like terpenes that I have ever smelled. It might be on the attached profiles below:

https://www.icmag.com/ic/showpost.ph...8&postcount=24
WaterFarmFan is offline Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 11-14-2017, 11:58 PM #3
Betterhaff

Betterhaff has a brilliant futureBetterhaff has a brilliant futureBetterhaff has a brilliant futureBetterhaff has a brilliant futureBetterhaff has a brilliant futureBetterhaff has a brilliant futureBetterhaff has a brilliant futureBetterhaff has a brilliant futureBetterhaff has a brilliant futureBetterhaff has a brilliant futureBetterhaff has a brilliant future
Probably not a single compound but a mix.

https://pubs.acs.org/doi/abs/10.1021/jf030212q
Betterhaff is offline Quote

Old 11-15-2017, 12:02 AM #4
Weird
3rd eye jedi

Weird is a survivorWeird is a survivorWeird is a survivorWeird is a survivorWeird is a survivorWeird is a survivorWeird is a survivorWeird is a survivorWeird is a survivorWeird is a survivorWeird is a survivor
people say that alot about strains like schrom, ssh, kali mist

I don't get carrot but a range of flavor from them, then again everything tastes the same to all people

WWDLBD

WW1.618D

Quote:
The shape it takes could be yours to choose

What you may win, what you may lose
Sativa is manna from heaven - BLueGrassToker

Ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cured - Ureapwhatusow

nobody every told me i found out for myself, you've got to believe in foolish miracles - o. osborne

Although the masters make the rules
For the wise men and the fools
I got nothing, Ma, to live up to - b. Dylan
Weird is offline Quote

Old 11-15-2017, 12:21 PM #5
Gray Wolf
A Posse ad Esse. From Possibility to realization.

Gray Wolf has a brilliant futureGray Wolf has a brilliant futureGray Wolf has a brilliant futureGray Wolf has a brilliant futureGray Wolf has a brilliant futureGray Wolf has a brilliant futureGray Wolf has a brilliant futureGray Wolf has a brilliant futureGray Wolf has a brilliant futureGray Wolf has a brilliant futureGray Wolf has a brilliant future
Quote:
Originally Posted by clearheaded View Post
What is the compound that gives the carrot smell? back in the day always thought prob caryophelene sp, but doesnt match descriptions.

I suppose more of turnip smell or very strong carrot.

perhaps not a terpene at all but just curious what it is.
Biotin or C10 H16 N2 O3 S is most of the odor. Note the sulfur atom.

It also has a humulene, a terpinolene, b caryophylene, 6-Methoxymellein, and falcarindiol.
Gray Wolf is offline Quote

5 members found this post helpful.
Old 11-15-2017, 09:22 PM #6
clearheaded

yes I have noticed alot of hazey strains and WW waterfarm. have a gg4 ww cross that has that smell. ya would describe more as strong carrot or more so just straight turnip.

Old 11-15-2017, 09:58 PM #7
MrBungle

MrBungle is a glorious beacon of lightMrBungle is a glorious beacon of lightMrBungle is a glorious beacon of lightMrBungle is a glorious beacon of lightMrBungle is a glorious beacon of lightMrBungle is a glorious beacon of lightMrBungle is a glorious beacon of lightMrBungle is a glorious beacon of lightMrBungle is a glorious beacon of lightMrBungle is a glorious beacon of lightMrBungle is a glorious beacon of light
I tried an OG kush distillate that had that earthy carrot like taste... it was amazing
MrBungle is offline Quote

Old 11-16-2017, 04:53 AM #8
PDX Dopesmoker

PDX Dopesmoker has much to be proud ofPDX Dopesmoker has much to be proud ofPDX Dopesmoker has much to be proud ofPDX Dopesmoker has much to be proud ofPDX Dopesmoker has much to be proud ofPDX Dopesmoker has much to be proud ofPDX Dopesmoker has much to be proud ofPDX Dopesmoker has much to be proud ofPDX Dopesmoker has much to be proud ofPDX Dopesmoker has much to be proud ofPDX Dopesmoker has much to be proud of
I identify this odor as more of a parsnip smell/flavor. Most phenotypes of three different crosses by a (Headband x JtR) father all have that odor in spades. 15 plants total and like 10 of them are very parsnippy
PDX Dopesmoker is offline Quote

Old 11-16-2017, 06:30 AM #9
clearheaded

YES PARSNIP NOT TURNIP!! lol brain fart.(turnip terps sounds better tho lol) Now the question is what is this smell? everyone has smelt it would be interesting to know and see what this chemical or group of chemicals can do.

perhaps awesomene

following is composition of cow parsnip.

the composition was tested by GC and GC-MS. (Z)-β-Ocimene was the most abundant in HSPH (28.9%) and HMON (20.4%) root oils, while in HSIB root oil, β-pinene (26.2%), methyl eugenol (22.3%) and elemicin (25.6%) prevailed. Leaf and flower oils were dominated by various sesquiterpenes (germacrene D, β-sesquiphellandrene, (E)-β-farnesene and/or (E)-caryophyllene) and/or phenylpropanoids (apiole, methyl eugenol, elemicin and/or (Z)-isoelemicin). Octyl acetate (57.5-67.1%) was the main constituent of all fruit oils. The antimicrobial activity w

wild parsnip has very high levels of betacaryophyllene... hmmm .

furanocoumarins or courimins which i beleive are in a dif class of terpenes. work on the same enzyme as grapefruit juice.... hmm maybe stay away from those strains when taking opiates or benzo....100% speculation

Last edited by clearheaded; 11-16-2017 at 06:50 AM..

Old 11-16-2017, 06:41 AM #10
Stickybred420

Stickybred420 will become famous soon enoughStickybred420 will become famous soon enough
I think the carrot/parsnip terp thing is a more sativa trait for sure. seems like a lot of land race strains have that common earthy/vegetable, woody thing going on too! I tried a sativa dom, golden goat shatter a little while back and it had a fresh carrot/celery thing going on. super weird/interesting!
Stickybred420 is offline Quote