What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Anyone else grow outside exclusively?

geopolitical

Vladimir Demikhov Fanboy
Veteran
It's what I've been doing since we got proper legal, results have gotten pretty decent. A little spooked to go back to the greenhouse now. Everybody hangs out next to the hedge and it cuts the light enough I can get ahead of the frosts. Biggest challenge has been the low night temps and fall rains but after a few rough years all the babies seem pretty resistant.

picture.php

farmerlion

Microbial Repositories
Mentor
Veteran
This passed season was my first without an indoor grow. I will be running more outside and have a full greenhouse again. I'm looking at getting a second greenhouse for next season.
Peace. MedDakotabis

Sign

This season was my first outdoor grow. 2 plants and I was so nervous (it's legal too) that I planted them more hidden than I needed them to be which resulted in being in shade from September onward due to the southern tree coverage. That and this year the sun basically didn't exist from mid Sept-current. Buds were wispy from the low light conditions but I think that's all that saved them from molding since it's been drizzling for over a month now.

I harvested most of the two plants, about 70 grams each which is kind of pathetic but I was more interested in hiding them then letting them grow taller and bigger. I left the rest of the plants there though to see what temperature is a killing temperature on the strain. So far some fan leaves have been killed from temps in the teens but bud growth is unaffected.

All told, I planted 2 plants in amended soil and did nothing to them other than quickly bending new growth to hide it while hiding from cars driving by and got maybe half a pound total even though I only harvested the 140 or so grams. I'm more interested in learning exactly what temp kills the entire plant than harvesting the rest. I'm still smoking my first batch since I started growing again and have more than I can use.

If I stopped being a pussy about people being able to see the plants I could grow some monsters I have no doubt, I'm an experienced gardener but old habits like secrecy are pretty hard to break apparently.

Next year maybe I'll do an exclusive run of outdoor, but I'm thinking it will be better to do autos so I can harvest before the sun disappears for 6 months. Or maybe autos with photos and get a guaranteed good crop with photos being the possible bumper.

I sampled the 2 outdoor plants already and they are quite nice even though they didn't get much direct sun almost the entire flowering period. I can only imagine how much better it'd be if all conditions were ideal..

If I got an easy pound or 2 from the yard I'd have no justification to continue indoor growing. I've already got way more in the last year than I know what to do with and I just started some more seeds.

geopolitical

Vladimir Demikhov Fanboy
Veteran
Plant some fireweed. It'll hit 6-8' in fertile soil and with enough nitrogen the leaf color is even pretty close. It is the last 2-3 weeks if you push into fall when it stands out like a sore thumb. For a midseason autoflower or forcing it works great. You can see some of it bloomed out behind the cannabis.

Yield is roughly 4oz/sqft. Could be higher but the survivors of hells two acres have decidely airy and open buds which may be related to the lack of mold despite the shitty weather.

aridbud

automeister
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Excellent, geopolitical!! Once you get plants acclimated, you're golden!
Have a customer that grows in Newfoundland...does a bang up job!!

Good luck with your project. We do outdoor, hoop frame and indoor.

I wish I could grow exclusively outdoors. Everything I love about outdoor growing happens to be everything I hate about indoor growing it seems. I'm going to try an indoor/outdoor hybrid grow on my balcony and use an artificial light to extend the meager hours it currently receives, while using stealth strains ( I live in a legal state but my apartment complex doesn't allow growing).

foo dog

Outdoor growing is the best. When she all goes well that is. Just so nice to see a big healthy plant in a natural setting :)

adriyansunpin

i enjoyed watching ppl’s grows on msg n .cons i prefer an indoor or greenhouse until ppl start messing w/ filters n water supplies! fckn nerves of ppl to do that . what i notice about outdoor grows? no bugs consuming the my plants. bugs/insects love that mj scent every time

rod58

i' exclusively grow outdoor and wouldn't change a thing . over the many years i've been breathing i have rarely dabbled with indoor . don't like doing it , don't like the choof .
outdoors i control everything , what i put in i get out ! that to me is the satisfaction .
i live in a very harsh environment and if i don;t get of my arse i get nothing , heres some pics from last year . g13 and sour bubble x gg#4
picture.php
picture.php

JCF

I like to watch them grow and you cannot beat natural sunlight. Yep, outside grow has it's challenges and learning curve but I believe well worth the effort. I start inside and go outside in June. Grow, cut, cure and trim, done. Enjoy all winter while selecting seeds for the next year.

Isaccc

Blunt Smookerz
i' exclusively grow outdoor and wouldn't change a thing . over the many years i've been breathing i have rarely dabbled with indoor . don't like doing it , don't like the choof .
outdoors i control everything , what i put in i get out ! that to me is the satisfaction .
i live in a very harsh environment and if i don;t get of my arse i get nothing , heres some pics from last year . g13 and sour bubble x gg#4
picture.php
picture.php
Respect from Italy