What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

carrot/turnip terpene?

clearheaded

What is the compound that gives the carrot smell? back in the day always thought prob caryophelene sp, but doesnt match descriptions.

I suppose more of turnip smell or very strong carrot.

perhaps not a terpene at all but just curious what it is.

EDIT: PARSNIP not turnip...

Last edited:

Weird

3rd-Eye Jedi
Veteran
people say that alot about strains like schrom, ssh, kali mist

I don't get carrot but a range of flavor from them, then again everything tastes the same to all people

Gray Wolf

A Posse ad Esse. From Possibility to realization.
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
What is the compound that gives the carrot smell? back in the day always thought prob caryophelene sp, but doesnt match descriptions.

I suppose more of turnip smell or very strong carrot.

perhaps not a terpene at all but just curious what it is.

Biotin or C10 H16 N2 O3 S is most of the odor. Note the sulfur atom.

It also has a humulene, a terpinolene, b caryophylene, 6-Methoxymellein, and falcarindiol.

clearheaded

yes I have noticed alot of hazey strains and WW waterfarm. have a gg4 ww cross that has that smell. ya would describe more as strong carrot or more so just straight turnip.

PDX Dopesmoker

I identify this odor as more of a parsnip smell/flavor. Most phenotypes of three different crosses by a (Headband x JtR) father all have that odor in spades. 15 plants total and like 10 of them are very parsnippy

clearheaded

YES PARSNIP NOT TURNIP!! lol brain fart.(turnip terps sounds better tho lol) Now the question is what is this smell? everyone has smelt it would be interesting to know and see what this chemical or group of chemicals can do.

perhaps awesomene ;)

following is composition of cow parsnip.

the composition was tested by GC and GC-MS. (Z)-β-Ocimene was the most abundant in HSPH (28.9%) and HMON (20.4%) root oils, while in HSIB root oil, β-pinene (26.2%), methyl eugenol (22.3%) and elemicin (25.6%) prevailed. Leaf and flower oils were dominated by various sesquiterpenes (germacrene D, β-sesquiphellandrene, (E)-β-farnesene and/or (E)-caryophyllene) and/or phenylpropanoids (apiole, methyl eugenol, elemicin and/or (Z)-isoelemicin). Octyl acetate (57.5-67.1%) was the main constituent of all fruit oils. The antimicrobial activity w

wild parsnip has very high levels of betacaryophyllene... hmmm .

furanocoumarins or courimins which i beleive are in a dif class of terpenes. work on the same enzyme as grapefruit juice.... hmm maybe stay away from those strains when taking opiates or benzo....100% speculation

Last edited:
I think the carrot/parsnip terp thing is a more sativa trait for sure. seems like a lot of land race strains have that common earthy/vegetable, woody thing going on too! I tried a sativa dom, golden goat shatter a little while back and it had a fresh carrot/celery thing going on. super weird/interesting!

PDX Dopesmoker

Part of it in mine was the JtR for sure. It seems like one of the components of the parsnip this is a lemon peel smell/flavor. Its not too far off from dill either. Grated lemon peel, dill & horseradish sounds like it could be pretty good on a sandwich.

PDX Dopesmoker

academic sources say that the main flavor components of dill are phellandrene, carvone and limonene with some menthene, i didn't find a reference for parsnips specifically

phallic-parsnip.png

RA4YEwN.jpg

blastfrompast

Veteran
Buddy ran Carrot Kush for a while....

Smelled like carrots..or a similar root veggie...not my taste but others really enjoyed it..

clearheaded

It's terpinolene. The carrot produces it depending on the temperature of the soil.

what makes u think that? terpinolene is more of a woody pine rosemary sage lilac. however it is a smell associated with var that are in the terpenolene family.

I think we have found it isnt a "normal" terpene.

clearheaded

perhaps just beta carotene? or other caritenoids.

terpenolene is likely more the woody pine smell u get from carrots like u smell on the green top part of the carrot.

hard to know for sure as fairly subjective and obv combo of several compounds.

therevverend

Veteran
Got a sample of Canguru de Oaxaca the other day. Mulimbimby Madness x Oaxacan Gold. Has a spicey fresh carrot smell. Overall I've gotten carrot smells from 'hair bud' type strains. Red hair without the dense Indica frost formation.

therevverend

Veteran
I dislike most carrot ganja. It's usually disappointing and uninteresting. Usually when I see it, it'll be in hybrids someone has made. Probably a throwback to a weaker ancestor.
Not so with the Canguru de Oaxacan. It's different then the hair bud carrot. The carrot has a raw herbal carrot greens type smell. As you inhale it becomes spicey and incensey in a hazey kind of way. Then that melds into a distinctive Romulan or 90's G13 type smell which is hard to describe. Old medicine cabnet maybe. It's special stuff.