What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Absolute Amber from Banana Silver Ladyboys

gunnaknow

How much are you making? Make sure that you vape it in a thin layer, to increase surface area. You can try a succession of freezing and thawing, which many say turns it brittle. If all else fails, let the oleoresin/concrete remain as a thin film in the vape dish and let it cure for a few weeks. After that, it should have turned glassy and can be scraped up into a crystally powder, or melted and collected as a lump.

Slimm

Well, I use vector as well so that can be ruled out as a cause. I have done this with fresh herb and yielded a nice light colored AA. I did not pre cool my butane. Only the herb and the coffee pot I used as the soaking vessel were pre cooled.

daheadies

poppin' outta control
hrmmmm.. .did you use any sort of alcohol after the vector, Slim?? Do you basically follow jumps instructions? How much butane do you use per aprox ounce of fresh bud for the soak??
Gonnaknow- Ill try the succession thing.. thanx for the suggestion

gunnaknow

If the succession of freezing and thawing doesn't work, then try it again with BHO that hasn't been redissolved in alcohol.

Also, you said that you've tried using one strain as well as a mix of strains. When you used a mix of strains, did it also contain this one strain that you speak of? If so, then it could be that this one strain is very high in terpene content. If it happens with all of the strains when tried on their own, then perhaps you could be harvesting them a little too early, when the contents of the trichs are more liquid than when they have turned milky.

The post below shows how a grower couldn't make solid budder with one strain but could with all the others. He eventually solved the problem when I suggested that he smear the budder thinly around the bowl and let it dry. He could have left it longer and produced something even harder though.

http://www.*****.com/boards/index.php?s=&showtopic=153408&view=findpost&p=1645066

Last edited:

daheadies

poppin' outta control
so is it not essential to use alcohol to make it into a glass rock? Is it the using fresh buds that is essential because it has carbon in it??
It could be a strain issue. It was a G13 labs white widow plant, and it happened to be cut a week early because it was a straggler (which is why i used the whole plant for oil)Thanks for that budder link.. To make the budder, do you use fresh or dry buds?? Are you not supposed to grind/ cut up the buds before you do the butane extraction? Interesting about maybe im not finishing my buds b/f harvest.. Something ill have to take into consideration!

daheadies

poppin' outta control
One last thing.. when making amber or budder can you purge your oil w/ warm water & collect the oil on top, or does that fast purge fuck it up? I have tried letting it air dry as well as doing the water purge.. Also, i have read of people covering their pyrex dish w/ either 2panes of glass while letting the butane evaporate out in the sun.. Im guessing this is what my friend does w. syran wrap.. Any idea why someone would do that?? somehow not letting something evap out or somethin? I have no idea.

gunnaknow

so is it not essential to use alcohol to make it into a glass rock?

BHO that has had all of the B removed will usually be relatively hard but it depends on the terpene and terpenoid profile, as well as the ambient temperature. The same is true of alcohol extractions. Redissolving the BHO in alcohol and then filtering is usually done either to aid collection of the BHO, to decrease the volume of solution that needs to be filtered, or to remove residual plant waxes.

Is it the using fresh buds that is essential because it has carbon in it??

The main reasons for using fresh bud are to decrease the level of impurities from plant cell contents, to remove the hassle of having to dry the bud/trim, and to capture some of the aroma from the fresh plants.

The carbon that you refer to is from the carboxyl group in THCA, which is mostly only present in fresh cannabis. THCA isn't very psychoactive and converts to the more psychoactive THC upon drying, curing or heating – through the loss of the carboxyl group in the form of carbon dioxide. This is what jump was referring to when he mentioned decarboxylation to you.

Thanks for that budder link.. To make the budder, do you use fresh or dry buds??

You can use either.

Are you not supposed to grind/ cut up the buds before you do the butane extraction?

The grinding or cutting is to increase the area of tissue exposed to the solvent and thereby maximize the yield. However, the finer it is ground, the more cell wall rupturing takes place and the more contaminated the solvent will become. This is why many recommend just gently breaking up the buds into loose clusters or at most, into individual calyxes.

One last thing.. when making amber or budder can you purge your oil w/ warm water & collect the oil on top, or does that fast purge fuck it up?

No, it won't fuck it up. It will just expedite the purging process. The only difference is that the extra heat may cause some of the higher boiling point terpenes to volatilize.

Also, i have read of people covering their pyrex dish w/ either 2panes of glass while letting the butane evaporate out in the sun.. Im guessing this is what my friend does w. syran wrap.. Any idea why someone would do that?? somehow not letting something evap out or somethin? I have no idea.

The panes of glass are probably just to stop dust landing in the solvent. It would also have the benefit of blocking some of the UV light, which can degrade THC. A small gap between the panes will allow the gas to escape. Ok, I need a break now!

Last edited:

daheadies

poppin' outta control
THANK YOU GONNAKNOW!!! that was awesome... Appreciate that major response very much!!
About the THCA and it not being very psychoactive.. Will THCA convert to THC after extraction if you let it sit out awhile??

gunnaknow

No problem, although that's twice that you've spelt my name wrong. lol

Yes, THCA converts to THC just through aging or curing. It occurs much more quickly when heated. However, THC and CBD etc also degrade in the presence of oxygen and light, so you should store the BHO or weed in an air tight container/bag in the dark. If it's in a storage container, then fill it up to decrease the amount of air. If it's in a bag, push out all of the air before sealing.

dope_roor

THCA also converts into THC during the process of smoking so its not absolutely essential to decarboxylate the oil if you're smoking/vaping it. IMO you lose alot of terpenes and esters during the decarboxylation process resulting in loss of flavor

for ingestion however it is absolutely needed

gunnaknow

Yes, although there is a theory that not all of the THCA may decarboxylate if it vaporizes upon a brief flash of heat, or if a proportion of the molecules vaporize at the minimum temperature required to do so. I'm not sure whether or not this theory is true though.

Gray Wolf

A Posse ad Esse. From Possibility to realization.
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Jump, besides trying your water extraction to glean residual oil, yesterday I also followed through with my experiments to do a frozen ethanol extraction in comparison to, fresh frozen extracts using butane, followed by an ethanol wash.
I only had two panel members present, so the breadth of this study is circumscribed as far as testing, but I agree with the results they have offered thus far.

Both fresh alcohol and butane extractions are delightful! Both tasty and speedy, but to our local boetian tastes, the more completely tested green material butane extraction got more raves for flavor, which was most often described as “fresh”, while the alcohol extraction was described as “hashy.”

Yield is extremely low, but if you consider that fresh material is about 75% more water, the yields fall into neat order.

BHO extraction, with subsequent QWET wash, produced an extract that exploded in all directions with fresh turpenoids flavors, while my QWET produced an extract that tasted like hash. Both are tasty flavors, but different.

Using dried material, which had its 15% cured water content reduced in a 200F oven, QWET actually presented a more highly aromatic extraction than using butane. What a switch and a new direction to pursue for flavor, without any loss of potency.

It is all good! Just pick the one that appeals to your own tastes! Hee, hee, hee………

jump117

Veteran
chip the amber

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

Latest posts

Latest posts