What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

best molds for candy

WaterFarmFan

Veteran
Hello all. I am interested in experimenting with shatter infused candy. It seems like gummies are a great vehicle. There are a lot of well reviewed silicone molds on Amazon, but can anyone recommend a company or set? Seems like 3-4ml might be the "sweet" spot. Thanks!

I've got a fair bit of experience with this. Well the fiancee does. I make the shatter and she makes the candy. We do hard candies with silicon molds. I prefer the ones with the little squares. They are much easier to pour, with minimal waste. We make ours with 10mg of concentrate per candy, by weight. I also recommend the Watkins brand of flavor extract.
The root beer and lemon extracts are the raved about flavors over here. Root beer blends with cannabis flavor nicely. The lemon mixes with tangerine kush shatter and tastes just like fruit loops! Anyhow I digress, good luck and have fun. Oh words of caution with hard candy, if you add too much shatter to a batch, it won't set up properly.

Pics of preferred molds and finished candies
picture.php

picture.php

WaterFarmFan

Veteran
Very nice FF! Have you experimented with gummies versus hard candies? Any links to your fiancee's favorite recipes?

https://www.dudegrows.com/how-to-make-the-most-potent-edibles-with-bho/

https://forum.grasscity.com/threads/badkats-cannapharm-medical-grade-oil-cannabis-capsules-uv-glowing-hash-candy-canna-bombs-more.742831/

Here is some of the info we started with. We like hard candies so we stuck with them. All we did was Google a hard candy recipe, scale the batch to our needs. We use a quarter batch as most hard candy batches are larger than we need. There are some tricks to making hard candy and the info is out there. My advice is pick a recipe you like and make small batches to dial in the method without concentrates at first. Then once you got it sorted out add concentrates. Figure out your dosing by batch weight and make sure you mix in the concentrates really well to so all candies get equal amounts of concentrates. It helps to melt the concentrates before adding to the candy, as it mixes a lot better this way.

WaterFarmFan

Veteran
Hey FF. I am finally about to start playing with edibles, and I had a question about your shatter prep. Are you pre-dissolving and decarbing your shatter in coconut oil before adding to the candy. Is so, how much coconut oil per 10 grams of shatter? Thanks!

Well for starters we do not use coconut oil with the hard candy recipe we use. Decarb is mandatory. Dosing wise we aim for 10mg of shatter per candy. That works out well for most people. 1 candy is a relaxant and 2 or more will get you stoned. This is dependent on the quality of the shatter going into the recipe. Early runs of concentrates were good at 10mg. I now make the occasional batch at 5mg per candy as I've dialed in my technique for bho, and some like mellowed candies as they are easier to dose with less per candy.

WaterFarmFan

Veteran
Cool. So, you just decarb your bho by itself beforehand (during purge?). Do you return it to cool shatter (after decarb) before adding to candy or do you preheat bho? My thoughts on adding a small amount of coconut oil would be to help predissolve shatter and make it easy to fully mix into hot candy mixture. Appreciate the insights!

I was just looking for a thread like this! I'm kinda scared to buy from amazon because alot of fake listings but I can across this company and they seem pretty good! Gonna order soon so maybe try them?