What's new

Eclipse travel

armedoldhippy

Veteran
hour and a half drive south-west for me. gonna go if decent chance of seeing it. longest 2 1/2 minutes of your life watching it go over. well, not counting time spent looking at a state trooper in your mirror before he walks up to your car...:tiphat:

k-s-p

Veteran
I'm thinking about heading to SC Blue Ridge or western NC to camp for it. Chance I might be in western NE for it too.

CosmicGiggle

Veteran
hour and a half drive south-west for me. gonna go if decent chance of seeing it. longest 2 1/2 minutes of your life watching it go over. .:tiphat:

:laughing: ..... what's the point, you're there but you don't really get to see the full majesty of the eclipse 'cause you'll go blind if you look at it directly.

It's bound to be anticlimatic, not the great awe inspiring wonder experienced in Biblical times when no one knew why it was happening.

Think I'll just sit back with a J and watch it on TV. :joint::tiphat:

armedoldhippy

Veteran
:laughing: ..... what's the point, you're there but you don't really get to see the full majesty of the eclipse 'cause you'll go blind if you look at it directly.

It's bound to be anticlimatic, not the great awe inspiring wonder experienced in Biblical times when no one knew why it was happening.

Think I'll just sit back with a J and watch it on TV. :joint::tiphat:

well, i have watched one before. i doubled up a number 12 welding lens & had no problems. your mileage may vary...:)

CosmicGiggle

Veteran
"doubled up a number 12 welding lens & had no problems"

yeah, well there's the problem, that's what you have to do to keep from going blind, you're there but you don't really see the eclipse, just a version of the eclipse.

..... try using 2 rubbers next time and you'll understand what I'm getting at.:biggrin::tiphat::biggrin:

armedoldhippy

Veteran
"doubled up a number 12 welding lens & had no problems"

yeah, well there's the problem, that's what you have to do to keep from going blind, you're there but you don't really see the eclipse, just a version of the eclipse.

..... try using 2 rubbers next time and you'll understand what I'm getting at.:biggrin::tiphat::biggrin:

2 rubbers? but...i'll STILL go blind, won't i? :biggrin: everyone has a version. mine lets me see. i'm really looking forward to what is visible AROUND the eclipse IE -stars visible during day-time etc. no wonder it freaked folks out in olden times.:woohoo:

mean mr.mustard

I Pass Satellites
Veteran
It has brought people to tears.

Not sure if that works if you watch it on TV.

And don't ever wear two rubbers. It makes you both feel like idiots. Literally.

Desert Rat

I attended an annular eclipse (ring of fire) in Southern Utah. It was SPECTACULAR. Not all cultures were ignorant of the celestial calendar. It is a bonding moment, that one in particular aided by a bottle of Jameson's 12 year old single Malt shared with other celebrants. Watching the sun is extremely boring, but watching the earth as sunlight changes spectrum, intensity and azimuth. You will never experience what is special about an eclipse being spoon fed from what really is a tube for boobs. Any town in the path of totality will have cheap cardboard and glasses for staring. To watch a sunrise and sunset from directly overhead will be gift from the heavens. Kinda like a Carl Sagan moment: “We are a way for the cosmos to know itself.”

CosmicGiggle

Veteran
"a bottle of Jameson's 12 year old single Malt"

hmmm, you just gave me an idea ....

MUSHROOMS!!!!:yay::groupwave:

.... thanks, don't know why I didn't think of that earlier.:bigeye:

Popice

block out a room for a pinhole camera obscura, maybe like 1/4"-1/2", they are so fun to sit in. watching traffic, snow, rain, just the sun and clouds going over the sky on your wall. with an eclipse that would be amazing. I'm outta direct line but might drive out to the highway. now if I could get a semi to ride out in and put in a small hole in the trailer with no other leaks, that'd be cool.

Desert Rat

view from totality

view from totality

The eclipse was for poets to describe; and those who viewed it to share in the marvel.

Latest posts

Latest posts