What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Have you looked at the North Pole lately?

trichrider

Kiss My Ring
Veteran
agreed.
one cannot 'David Copperfield' away the paleo-climatic record showing higher temperature and higher CO2 during previous epochs, nor could one 'Janis Joplin' a new record to replace or alter proxy records already studied in some vain attempt to advance an agenda.

ipcc set out to prove mankind responsible for climate change, yet climate was changing long before man appeared and will continue to change long after we are but a footnote to history.

the koolaid you've been drinking is but a metaphor of the gullibility ignorance enables.

https://sci-hub.tw/10.1103/PhysRevLett.121.108701

"Intrinsic Pink-Noise Multidecadal Global Climate Dynamics Mode
Woosok Moon,
Sahil Agarwal,
and J. S. Wettlaufer
Department of Mathematics, Stockholm University, 106 91 Stockholm, Sweden
Nordita, Royal Institute of Technology and Stockholm University, SE-10691 Stockholm, Sweden
Yale University, New Haven, Connecticut 06520-8109, USA
Mathematical Institute, University of Oxford, Oxford OX2 6GG, United Kingdom
(Received 2 February 2018; revised manuscript received 2 April 2018; published 4 September 2018)
Understanding multidecadal variability is an essential goal of climate dynamics. For example, the recent
phenomenon referred to as the “global warming hiatus" may reflect a coupling to an intrinsic, preindustrial,
multidecadal variability process. Here, using a multifractal time-series method, we demonstrate that 42 data
sets of 79 proxies with global coverage exhibit pink-noise characteristics on multidecadal timescales.
To quantify the persistence of this behavior, we examine high-resolution ice core and speleothem data to
find pink noise in both pre- and postindustrial periods. We examine the spatial structure with an empirical
orthogonal function analysis of the monthly averaged surface temperature from 1901 to 2012. The first
mode clearly shows the distribution of ocean heat flux sinks located in the eastern Pacific and the Southern
Ocean and has pink-noise characteristics on a multidecadal timescale. We hypothesize that this pink-noise
multidecadal spatial mode may resonate with externally driven greenhouse gas forcing, driving large-scale
climate processes.
DOI:
10.1103/PhysRevLett.121.108701"

Koondense

Veteran
Since I don't care for text in caps lock or repeated statements without explanations, I'm interested how would the people debating here comment this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hUFOuoD3aHw

My reasoning goes the exact same way as the guy starts the video, with comparing the moon and Earth's mean temperature. The following unfolds pretty obviously.

Cheers

trichrider

Kiss My Ring
Veteran
Since I don't care for text in caps lock or repeated statements without explanations, I'm interested how would the people debating here comment this video:

My reasoning goes the exact same way as the guy starts the video, with comparing the moon and Earth's mean temperature. The following unfolds pretty obviously.

Cheers
"we've clearly cheated quite dramatically to get this picture though." @7:44

besides neglecting the several different layers of atmosphere that exist above the troposphere that are at different temperatures and pressures, and oversimplifying the underlying physics.

Earth's atmosphere has a series of layers, each with its own specific traits. Moving upward from ground level, these layers are named the troposphere, stratosphere, mesosphere, thermosphere and exosphere. The exosphere gradually fades away into the realm of interplanetary space.
Troposphere

The troposphere is the lowest layer of our atmosphere. Starting at ground level, it extends upward to about 10 km (6.2 miles or about 33,000 feet) above sea level. We humans live in the troposphere, and nearly all weather occurs in this lowest layer. Most clouds appear here, mainly because 99% of the water vapor in the atmosphere is found in the troposphere. Air pressure drops, and temperatures get colder, as you climb higher in the troposphere.
Stratosphere

The next layer up is called the stratosphere. The stratosphere extends from the top of the troposphere to about 50 km (31 miles) above the ground. The infamous ozone layer is found within the stratosphere. Ozone molecules in this layer absorb high-energy ultraviolet (UV) light from the Sun, converting the UV energy into heat. Unlike the troposphere, the stratosphere actually gets warmer the higher you go! That trend of rising temperatures with altitude means that air in the stratosphere lacks the turbulence and updrafts of the troposphere beneath. Commercial passenger jets fly in the lower stratosphere, partly because this less-turbulent layer provides a smoother ride. The jet stream flows near the border between the troposphere and the stratosphere.
Mesosphere

Above the stratosphere is the mesosphere. It extends upward to a height of about 85 km (53 miles) above our planet. Most meteors burn up in the mesosphere. Unlike the stratosphere, temperatures once again grow colder as you rise up through the mesosphere. The coldest temperatures in Earth's atmosphere, about -90° C (-130° F), are found near the top of this layer. The air in the mesosphere is far too thin to breathe; air pressure at the bottom of the layer is well below 1% of the pressure at sea level, and continues dropping as you go higher.
Thermosphere

The layer of very rare air above the mesosphere is called the thermosphere. High-energy X-rays and UV radiation from the Sun are absorbed in the thermosphere, raising its temperature to hundreds or at times thousands of degrees. However, the air in this layer is so thin that it would feel freezing cold to us! In many ways, the thermosphere is more like outer space than a part of the atmosphere. Many satellites actually orbit Earth within the thermosphere! Variations in the amount of energy coming from the Sun exert a powerful influence on both the height of the top of this layer and the temperature within it. Because of this, the top of the thermosphere can be found anywhere between 500 and 1,000 km (311 to 621 miles) above the ground. Temperatures in the upper thermosphere can range from about 500° C (932° F) to 2,000° C (3,632° F) or higher. The aurora, the Northern Lights and Southern Lights, occur in the thermosphere.
Exosphere

Although some experts consider the thermosphere to be the uppermost layer of our atmosphere, others consider the exosphere to be the actual "final frontier" of Earth's gaseous envelope. As you might imagine, the "air" in the exosphere is very, very, very thin, making this layer even more space-like than the thermosphere. In fact, air in the exosphere is constantly - though very gradually - "leaking" out of Earth's atmosphere into outer space. There is no clear-cut upper boundary where the exosphere finally fades away into space. Different definitions place the top of the exosphere somewhere between 100,000 km (62,000 miles) and 190,000 km (120,000 miles) above the surface of Earth. The latter value is about halfway to the Moon!
Ionosphere

The ionosphere is not a distinct layer like the others mentioned above. Instead, the ionosphere is a series of regions in parts of the mesosphere and thermosphere where high-energy radiation from the Sun has knocked electrons loose from their parent atoms and molecules. The electrically charged atoms and molecules that are formed in this way are called ions, giving the ionosphere its name and endowing this region with some special properties.

https://scied.ucar.edu/atmosphere-layers

he gives attribution to compressed gases heating up supporting and validating Unionized' contentions of pressure related temperature.@ 8:30

he also misstates the adiabatic lapse rate that he says "as you go up in the atmosphere things cool down"...see Stratosphere above.

there are two layers above the troposphere where temperatures are below the 18* C he states is needed to balance the energy that the SUN provides our planet.

the exosphere is always leaking gases into space, taking heat with it.

The average temperature of empty space between celestial bodies is calculated at 3 kelvins (minus 270.15 degrees Celsius or minus 457.87 degrees Fahrenheit). Absolute zero, the temperature at which absolutely all activity stops, is zero kelvins (minus 273.15 degrees Celsius or minus 459.67 degrees Fahrenheit).

https://sciencing.com/temperatures-outer-space-around-earth-20254.html

:tiphat:

TychoMonolyth

Boreal Curing
Review this....

In 1972, a computer model predicted the end of the world — and we're on track
[iframe1]cCxPOqwCr1I[/iframe1]
(from https://www.mnn.com/green-tech/comp...er-model-predicted-end-world-limits-of-growth)
picture.php

White Beard

I recently read a news article from 1912, the year my parents were born. It reported a finding by scientists that wood and coal burning were adding tons of carbon dioxide at the time, and the scientists warned that if the situation remained unchecked (as it has), such a volume of atmospheric CO2 would present serious problems right about now.

TychoMonolyth

Boreal Curing
I recently read a news article from 1912, the year my parents were born. It reported a finding by scientists that wood and coal burning were adding tons of carbon dioxide at the time, and the scientists warned that if the situation remained unchecked (as it has), such a volume of atmospheric CO2 would present serious problems right about now.

picture.php

U

Ununionized

And it winds up that it makes sense to you, that cold nitrogen baths are heaters? You've been lied to.

No object

bathed by cold nitrogen/oxygen fluid,

is warmer than another identical object NOT bathed in cold nitrogen.

Whatever it was that left you thinking cold gas baths are heaters,

that's wrong. Cold nitrogen baths chill things.

Objects without atmopsheres are by the definitions

of the laws governing energy

radiating at their highest possible temperature, for the energy reaching them.

Full stop.

Cold atmospheres

never

make things warmer than when there are NO

cold atmospheres

CHILLING the objects in question.

Cheers

Last edited:
U

Ununionized

Adding light blocking refrigerants to a cold nitrogen bath so less light reaches and warms objects within the bath,

always makes their temperatures go down.

Go to a magic gas site and watch them show you how the temperature of the planet is calculated.

The very first step they take is to count up all the energy not reaching the planet because of the gases in the atmosphere,

the vast marjority of that energy not reaching Earth because of the

cooling GHGs,

and subtract that value from the top of temperature calculations.

Not maybe, not sorta, not sometimes, it's on every one of the

''a magical gassiness dun tirnt uh cold bath in two uh HeeDuR!"

Churches'

websites.

All you have to do to learn about what they teach,

is go to their websites and studying their teachings.

They show you clearly the effect of the GHGs on the planets' temperature.

They will ban you for mentioning that, of course,

just like they'll ban you at a pot's like heroin party for telling people no, it's not really like heroin, the police have been murdering people for it for nearly a century,

over lies a 10 year old can see are just that.

Last edited:

TychoMonolyth

Boreal Curing
And it winds up that it makes sense to you, that cold nitrogen baths are heaters? You've been lied to.

No object

bathed by cold nitrogen/oxygen fluid,

is warmer than another identical object NOT bathed in cold nitrogen.

Whatever it was that left you thinking cold gas baths are heaters,

that's wrong. Cold nitrogen baths chill things.
Where in dying fuck do you get this "Whatever it was that left you thinking cold gas baths are heaters" shit. You keep repeating it. Please provide a source.

Well which is it nitrogen or oxygen?

I don't care how cold nitrogen (-196c) or oxygen (-183c) is. If you put something colder in it, it'll act as a heater. (To be fair, with nitrogen you'd have to have it under pressure or it'll boil away.)

No object bathed by cold nitrogen/oxygen fluid, is warmer than another identical object NOT bathed in cold nitrogen.
WTF?? How about if it's a chocolate bar first bathed in Helium (-270c), then dropped in nitrogen? Is the nitrogen considered a heater? Just asking.

You are sooooooo full of shit. And for God's sake.... quite telling people that scientists made a 33 degree mistake. You sound like Jethro Clampett telling people he wants to be a Brain Surgeon.

U

Ununionized

Screeching and cursing isn't evidence for your church either. Get control of yourself and show your evidence for your claims.

YOUR CHURCH tells you the ATMOSPHERE HEATS the PLANET.

Whether you know that or not that's what they tell you.

That is outright transparent fraud and OBVIOUSLY so.

Do you have ANY evidence the Atmosphere warms the planet?

Don't curse at me as if I'M the one PROVIDING ZERO indicators
for what I say.

YOU are providing zero indicators for what YOU say.

You don't CHALLENGE me to SAY it all again,

you either SHOW some indicators for what you believe,

or stop speaking to me.

I don't SEEK you out and CURSE and SCREAM that SCIENTIFIC FACTS are making my head hurt, that's YOU
doing that.

There is ONE correct TEMPERATURE for the planet's atmosphere and we KNOW that temperature because we FLY THROUGH IT

having to KNOW the temperature hence the density ALL DAY EVERY DAY and have been COMPARING our FLIGHT instruments,

and all our THERMAL instruments, since FLIGHT was invented.

Since we adopted the International Standard Atmosphere and the whole world that needed to later adopted the AMERICAN Standard Atmosphere.

Your CHURCH doesn't ARRIVE at that TEMPERATURE.

They're WRONG. They are 33 degrees SHORT of the REAL average temperature of the global atmosphere.

SCREECHING

CURSING

isn't DEBATE.

Acting OUTRAGED and simultaneously IGNORANT

isn't DEBATE.

It's ADMISSION you're WRONG and haven't the FIRST piece of evidence ANYTHING you say is RIGHT.

You understand it - which is why you're not even TRYING to put forth any sort of evidence for what you claim.

You're just trying to fake your way through with people who have sense to know whether a cold nitroxy bath can possibly take 29% off the top of temperature calculations

and yet be a heater.

It can't.

The fact you can't conduct yourself according to the nominal rules and bylaws of decency in debate - PRESENTING EVIDENCE you're willing to DISCUSS from scientific point to point

is de facto proof you know you don't HAVE any.

Or you'd present some.

Where in dying fuck do you get this "Whatever it was that left you thinking cold gas baths are heaters" shit. You keep repeating it. Please provide a source.

Well which is it nitrogen or oxygen?

I don't care how cold nitrogen (-196c) or oxygen (-183c) is. If you put something colder in it, it'll act as a heater. (To be fair, with nitrogen you'd have to have it under pressure or it'll boil away.)

WTF?? How about if it's a chocolate bar first bathed in Helium (-270c), then dropped in nitrogen? Is the nitrogen considered a heater? Just asking.

You are sooooooo full of shit. And for God's sake.... quite telling people that scientists made a 33 degree mistake. You sound like Jethro Clampett telling people he wants to be a Brain Surgeon.

Last edited:

TychoMonolyth

Boreal Curing
Apologies.

We only have 20-40 years before it's like Mad Max on this planet, and we have people pushing Alex Jones type beliefs on the ignorant. It's dangerous and irresponsible to sit back and say nothing.

If they believe scientists, every scientist, of any repute, made a simple math error, then I'll bow out of this thread because they'll never get it and never be convinced.

trichrider

Kiss My Ring
Veteran
Review this....

In 1972, a computer model predicted the end of the world — and we're on track
[iframe1]cCxPOqwCr1I[/iframe1]
(from https://www.mnn.com/green-tech/comp...er-model-predicted-end-world-limits-of-growth)
View Image

club of rome?
communist propaganda!
we're on track alright, many have swallowed that tripe that leads to perdition for free thinkers, on track to slavery!

those pukes in this video are ones who colluded with maurice strong and the UN to produce the study of mans impact on the climate...and ONLY mans impact.

psychology to guilt man into believing he and he alone is responsible for climate change, which couldn't be further from the truth.

rant and rail, fling your hands in the air, scream no, no, no, call people names, refuse to provide evidence of support...but don't use any critical thinking skills those letters after your name imply.

i've seen this tactic before, where someone comes into a thread and goes all neanderthal just to shut down views he/she opposes so intercourse ends.

you won't/can't accept responsibility to present your arguments so you make a fuss...very mature.
Gypsy was right. this is deep water, better start swimming.:help::shark:

U

Ununionized

When you're asked to stop doing ZERO but INSULTING other members

and you ANSWER by doing NOTHING but INSULTING other members

that's not an apology. That's PRETENDING to have paid attention

then BRUSHING the REQUEST ASIDE and CONTINUING the INSULTING, ABUSIVE behavior,

WITHOUT even the VERY first PAUSE.

While SCREECHING

"It's the END of the WORLD,

and everyone who doesn't BELIEVE it's ending,

is crazy
and that's why YOU can't stop YOUR SELF

from acting AGGRESSIVELY INSANE.

Apologies.

We only have 20-40 years before it's like Mad Max on this planet, and we have people pushing Alex Jones type beliefs on the ignorant. It's dangerous and irresponsible to sit back and say nothing.

If they believe scientists, every scientist, of any repute, made a simple math error, then I'll bow out of this thread because they'll never get it and never be convinced.

Last edited:

White Beard

Screeching and cursing isn't evidence for your church either. Get control of yourself and show your evidence for your claims.

YOUR CHURCH tells you the ATMOSPHERE HEATS the PLANET.

Whether you know that or not that's what they tell you.

That is outright transparent fraud and OBVIOUSLY so.

Do you have ANY evidence the Atmosphere warms the planet?

Don't curse at me as if I'M the one PROVIDING ZERO indicators
for what I say.

YOU are providing zero indicators for what YOU say.

You don't CHALLENGE me to SAY it all again,

you either SHOW some indicators for what you believe,

or stop speaking to me.

I don't SEEK you out and CURSE and SCREAM that SCIENTIFIC FACTS are making my head hurt, that's YOU
doing that.

There is ONE correct TEMPERATURE for the planet's atmosphere and we KNOW that temperature because we FLY THROUGH IT

having to KNOW the temperature hence the density ALL DAY EVERY DAY and have been COMPARING our FLIGHT instruments,

and all our THERMAL instruments, since FLIGHT was invented.

Since we adopted the International Standard Atmosphere and the whole world that needed to later adopted the AMERICAN Standard Atmosphere.

Your CHURCH doesn't ARRIVE at that TEMPERATURE.

They're WRONG. They are 33 degrees SHORT of the REAL average temperature of the global atmosphere.

SCREECHING

CURSING

isn't DEBATE.

Acting OUTRAGED and simultaneously IGNORANT

isn't DEBATE.

It's ADMISSION you're WRONG and haven't the FIRST piece of evidence ANYTHING you say is RIGHT.

You understand it - which is why you're not even TRYING to put forth any sort of evidence for what you claim.

You're just trying to fake your way through with people who have sense to know whether a cold nitroxy bath can possibly take 29% off the top of temperature calculations

and yet be a heater.

It can't.

The fact you can't conduct yourself according to the nominal rules and bylaws of decency in debate - PRESENTING EVIDENCE you're willing to DISCUSS from scientific point to point

is de facto proof you know you don't HAVE any.

Or you'd present some.
Honestly, I have no idea what you’re raving about, but you’re clearly very upset, so let’s just table this for now, shall we?

U

Ununionized

It's obvious you "Honestly haven't had the first clue what

Y O U have been RAVING about"

for some TIME now. Your LAST post of substance insisted

"IT'S the END of the WORLD"
and that you get so UPSET
seeing people not BELIEVING you about it
on a WEBSITE you joined, on the INTERNET
that YOU might NEED to ''BOW OUT'' of the THREAD.

From your BEING SO UPSET.

Is it starting to seep in?

Go back and read what you said
about CIVILIZATION ENDING
and people on the INTERNET not BELIEVING you about it
making you SO UPSET you can't stop SCREECHING and CURSING at them.

Do it until it DAWNS on you that -
THOSE are the RAVINGS of a CRAZY man on the INTERNET,
screeching and cursing, that -

it's the end of the world.
And we have to all repent, because you say.

And that those who DENY it's the end of the world

and that we have to all repent, because a

COLD NITROGEN BATH dun

''COME uh HEEDuR!"

are CRAZY for not BELIEVING you about it,

when they review the evidence, and you know, -

discover cold, light blocking, nitroxy baths,

aren't really heaters.

That's what I EMBOLDENED and REPEATED BACK to YOU -

YOU, telling us you're SO upset people are DENYING it's the END of THE WORLD,

and you said

"You don't understand it, but it sounded like I was upset."

I was REPEATING BACK to YOU, what YOU'RE TELLING people.

Are ya STILL kinda ... fuzzy about the last few days, and how you've been acting?

Just go read it again
and again
til you understand,

you're not supposed to join websites
and start cursing the other members because they refuse to agree that

''It's the end of civilization and they have to all repent because you say."

When you UNDERSTAND that,
go GATHER your EVIDENCE the world is ending,
come PRESENT it CALMLY,

and we'll all analyze it together.

Peace

Honestly, I have no idea what you’re raving about, but you’re clearly very upset, so let’s just table this for now, shall we?

Last edited: