What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

12/12 From Seed: A Different Way To Grow

chosen

Veteran
I'm tired of this 12/12 stuff. I work so hard. Can this be done in Hydro? Actually Aero!!!It would save electricity, time and offer greater security... I can even pollenate a plant from time to time to kick down some seed...

H

Hal

Go get 'em atmosphere!

chosen said:
I'm tired of this 12/12 stuff. I work so hard. Can this be done in Hydro? Actually Aero!!!It would save electricity, time and offer greater security... I can even pollenate a plant from time to time to kick down some seed...

I'm confused...and not even stoned! First you say you are tired of "this 12/12 stuff," which kinda sounds like you don't care for what this thread is about...but the rest of your post sounds like you think this method will help you out.

Could you maybe clarify what you're feeling?

Berry_Coughin' said:
There are people on Marijuana Passion.com who believe this is IMPOSSIBLE.... I tried to explain my position on this method and was banned.... wtf :peace:

This dude is clueless. He comes over claiming to have gotten viable seed from a 3 week old plant, by pollenating at one week old. Ten posts later he claims his time frame was wrong, was banned for one week for rude private messages, then reregisters minutes later pretending to have come up with this method.

I know...I am a moderator there. I was backing him the entire time while he neglected to even notice I have been using this method for over 6 weeks now, and have well documented it in my journal.

Then he posts in this thread disrespecting our forum, oblivious to the fact I post here too.

Not cool buddy. :badday:

Last edited:
You are right, he was talking strange things over there.
But one thing : A plant wil only start flowering when its mature , agree ?
After about 3 weeks from seed on 12/12 they start flowering ,so this means the plant must have went through the proces of maturing . You ca nalso see a few alternating nodes (the last it produced) once they stopped streching . This is also a sign the plant matured . isn't it ?

a few things about this technique:

- It is possible to harvest up to 7 times a year ! thats even more than i thought .
- it all can be done in just one room 3 weeks before harvesting you start new seeds in small pots that are placed in the open spaces between or next to the almost finished plants.
-Your room is on 12/12 all the time and your room is always producing buds !

H

Hal

atmosphere...

So, what about the difference in light required in the 2 seperate growth phases....do you provide the more bluish spectrum pre-flower? Or do you just give everything the same HPS reddish light that the flowers want?

The reason I ask this is because I have read that if seedlings are given the red color light (color temp 2000k to 3000k), that they will tend to stretch, as compared to being grown under the bluish color of metal halide (5000k to 6500k), which keeps them from stretching.

Any thoughts?

Haggis123

So Elephant Man, we have the original 12/12 from seed....man....amongst us, eh.
We sure should be honoured that you have found "the man", lol... :chin:

Hal, I had my little girl under what we call here in the U.K, an Envirolight.
Not sure if you guy's over the pond use them ??? Big energy saving bulbs, basically.
She was under this lamp for the first two weeks then went under my HPS.
It was a Blue spectrum bulb, not sure on exact "k" of the bulb.
Kept her real nice and tight with very little heat from the bulb.

H

Hal

Hey Haggis...

Yeah, that blue spectrum (that was the term I should have used) is the daylight spectrum, generally considered to be in the 5000k to 6500k range. Pretty sure we have the Envirolights over here. They are around 125 or 150 watts, correct?

I'm just wonderin if you are going have your grow in one room, is it ok to just have the warmer, or red spectrum, typical of the HPS lamps lighting your youngsters before they have shown their sex?

So, did ya sacrifice your girl to the gods of blissful consciousness adjustments yet? If not, must be soon. Are you finding yourself wrestling with the perfectly exact time, where yield and potency meet and shake hands? I am...on the edge of obsessing about it. All I know now is that it will be soon!

Berry_Coughin'

Veteran
Elephant... wtf? Go and read the ebb and flow thread... that cat wanted to know a way to keep his plants small so I suggested this..... stoney bud went on this huge tangent about how it's impossible to flower plants this way, and they will veg the same... bla bla.... I was trying to show someone a technique that you, I and others use, your moderator stoney took it way too personal so I called him an egocentric maniac... he is... I don't care what anyone thinks about if they're right or wrong... I just was trying to help a sprouting grower.... and if you'll copy the posts that 'magoo' wrote and bring em over I'll help you understand them.... supposedly a laid back community, but clearly I was shunned because some-one who claimed to have 40 yrs experience said what I and you and others have done was completely ludacris...

Berry_Coughin'

Veteran
Elephant man... I never meant to mislead or insult any one over there... go check out post 18 on this thread.... I clearly broke down my time-line at MJP, and sorry for any bad blood.....

chosen

Veteran
I'm kidding. I'm feeling left out. I want to try some 12/12 in Hydro. The method just makes sense. I remember Atmosphere from Og. Hal, you seem to be an amazing student of his. Being able to just keep your room moving along by even going 24/7 by splitting a room. Producing seed isn't hard to do. I've been helping out some medical patients. So, I don't have time to do any for myself. Yet, this method could change that. Thanks Hal and Atmosphere.

muddy waters

atmosphere how can you put seedlings under flowering plants AND make sure they get a lot of light in the crucial first three weeks? how are you lighting? doesn't this affect yield? because i've had lesser results cramming the seedlings underneath and to the side, out of the sweet spot, the internodes are longer and there's less growth tip development, at least compared to when in the sweet spot. maybe it speeds up the harvest but it also affects the plant's development i think.

Wiimote

In my space (5x2x6 430w hps) I keep 4 flowering plants (clones) and 4 seedlings (to find more keepers) under 12/12 at all times. I LST the clones slightly towards the "outside" of the area, so that I have just enough room for 4 beer cups, or 2 6in pots. The clones are within 8in of the light, and the seedlings start at 20in.

According to the foot candle chart that you can find around here everywhere, that gives my seedlings acceptable levels of light to start with, and my flowers prime light. By the time I know sex on the seedlings they are in 6in pots and within about 10in or so from the light.

This allows me to keep #'s down, but bring in 2 plants every 3 weeks or so, which is just enough to get me and 3 other people (rule #1 though) out of the "market". Now, I am just learning to apply a year of reading here to real life experience, and just 4 weeks into the plan so far (1 clone @ 4wks, 1@2wks, 1@3days and 4 seedlings).

Last edited:
muddy waters said:
atmosphere how can you put seedlings under flowering plants AND make sure they get a lot of light in the crucial first three weeks? how are you lighting? doesn't this affect yield? .

like the seedling in the little pot in de back for example:
19355IMG_0522.JPG

It recieves lots of light
There is still place for more pots to be placed agains the walls.

You could also choose to leave some space open from the beginning ,so you can put your little pots on a board there later on.

New born seedlings at about 20 inches from a 600 w HPS light . New clones will have trouble handling that kind of light and low humidity.

Last edited:

chosen

Veteran
Using the 12/12 method, how would it work for clones? And can I let a male stay at 12/12 snatch it out and collect the pollen? Then use that pollen on one of the females to produce seed, hence carrying on the cycle and producing seed from 1 female out of each bunch?

Hal said:
atmosphere...

So, what about the difference in light required in the 2 seperate growth phases....do you provide the more bluish spectrum pre-flower? Or do you just give everything the same HPS reddish light that the flowers want?

The reason I ask this is because I have read that if seedlings are given the red color light (color temp 2000k to 3000k), that they will tend to stretch, as compared to being grown under the bluish color of metal halide (5000k to 6500k), which keeps them from stretching.

Any thoughts?

Its true that plants under HPS stretch more, but when they are close enough to your light this becomes very acceptable. Keeping them close to the light is the most important factor in preventing stretch.

Growing seedlings indoor is very different from growing them outdoor where i live because indoor our mediums are a lot warmer than outside most of the time. The second most important factor in streching is the soil temperature.

For minimum stretch : - lights close to the seedlings (air has to move )
- soil temperature about 18 degrees
The temperature of your soil will be higher in most grows ofcause , 18 degrees is just the ideal temperature to prevent streching and still have all the nutes available .
-

Safari

Hello all 12/12 growers. I haven't check this thread in a while and I very happy to see it continues and new people are trying this method. I have been using this method for almost a year now. Although I will say I sprout my seeds under a CFL for a day or two. They say the first few hours of a sprouts life can determine alot so I have found that a couple of days under CFL gets them a good start. I usually sprout 4 or 5 seeds at a time literally under a reading lamp in a corner with a cool white 40w CFL from Lowes. After this they move into the bloom closet under a 400w agrosun gold metal halide. About a year ago I found this agrosun gold mh which is suppose to have like 40% more red in it than a normal mh bulb. This teams to really help with the 12/12 method because the plants stay short with compact nodes because of the metal halide, but you still get the extra red spectrum for flowering. My flowering area is about 3.5 ft by 3.5 ft and all my plants stay under 2 ft tall, except for a couple of extreme Sativa I've tried in the past. I grow organically in dirt by the way.

I currently have in flower 1-Shiva Shanti from Sensi about to be pulled and 5 other Shiva Shanti girls about 3 wks post sexing, 1-Trouble Maker from Doc Chronic thats about 5 wks into bloom, and 4-Mississippi Mud from JLP that haven't shown sex yet.

I am unfortunetaly completing losing my growing area in the coming months. This is sad for me and it will force me to go micro stealth, but I don't mind because our family is expanding and we need the bedroom that my grow is in.
Since I am losing my perpetual grow, I am going out with a bang. During my last grow I had a timer malfunction. I thought for sure it would cause my whole crop to go hermi, but I searched and found no balls anywhere. Well, I didn't search enough and sure enough one of my Sag. Magical Mystery Mix girls threw a ball or two pollinating several other Sag. MMM and a couple of Rez's SD IBL. I ended up with 33 viable S1 seeds, not couting the ones from the original hermi. I am really hoping these will be fine since the original hermi was caused by the timer malfunction. Anyway, these 33 S1s went directly into 12/12 three days ago, and 26 of them are up and doing well. They have stretched a bit on me because the light is too far away due to the 2 ft Shiva Shanti that will be pulled tonight.

I will update on these later. I wish I could show you pics, but I don't mess with that for security reasons. I don't even post to this site from my house. Paranoid, I know, but there is just too much as stake to take any risk at all.

Sorry about the long post.

Good luck to all 12/12 growers. :joint:

Last edited:
H

Hal

chosen said:
Using the 12/12 method, how would it work for clones? And can I let a male stay at 12/12 snatch it out and collect the pollen? Then use that pollen on one of the females to produce seed, hence carrying on the cycle and producing seed from 1 female out of each bunch?

Hey Chosen...

The clones will grow using this method, but if you use clones you are missing much of the reason for growing this way. I don't know much about clones, so I'm not the one to respond regarding the technical aspects of the process, but the positive aspect of standardized proportion and phenotype the clones bring, is balanced by the fact that clones are not as healthy and vigorous as seed plants. Implementing the whole cloning process, while not all that demanding, is an additional endeavor that doing the "12/12 from seed" method doesn't require. We love the adage, "KISS...keep it simple stoner."

Regarding the pollen question...you would pollenate the same way you would do on any plant, no difference there.

Last edited:
H

Hal

Hey Safari...

Welcome, dude! Sounds like you have quite a nice, varied garden going there. Too bad about having to reduce your grow style into one of the micro-variety, but at least you will have something going.

I understand about the photographs not working for your security desires...but it would be a BIG help to all who will be growing this way if you could do some strain reports on your results...those can be done without adding photographs. And when you start doing your micro grows, those reports would be real helpful too. I think this method will be particularly useful for those who have limited space, and ain't nobody with more limited space than a micro grower.

Thanks for stopping by...and don't be a stranger.

Lofty

as far as clones compared with seeds from 12/12, i put 17 seeds on 12/12 and 1 ak47 clone just to c wat they do side by side. the seeds r 3 weeks in and looking really good, the ak47 clone grow to about 8" and is deep into flower, its a 1 GRAM WONDER lol, its very cute, it looks like a perfect miniture of a big plant. i wish i cud preserve it the way it is, although there guna b nothing on it, it looks really amusing like its been shrunk! "honey i've shrunk the dank"

sorry for rambling, i wont b putting clones in again!