What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Outdoor Strains for Mold Resistance

LostTribe

Premium user
I am searching for information on strains for outdoors that are mold resistant. The only thing I have found referenced Northern Lights. What about new varieties and clone only?

Check out erdpurt from ace seeds

i have no personal experience with this strain, but ive read it and it's hybrids are very mold resistant, supposed to be high in cbd too, might be wise to pick a hybrid if you want higher resin content

or you can cross your own with it and have something you made. good luck

djonkoman

Veteran
for what climate/location? if you're pretty far south(say, around lattitude of spain), early flowering is less of a concern, so you can just focus on the mold resistance.

but if you're somewhere further north like me(lat 53), a big factor in plants rotting away end of season is not just mold resistance, but having them finish early enough. which really limits the amount of strains that work here. the problem I ran into over the years is that a lot of sources for good outdoorseeds are unreliable, the outdoormarket is not really big enough for the big seedbanks, so the best ouydoorstrains come from smaller breeders. and since it's just a hobby for them, they often disappear after a few years, or stop selling seeds, maybe something in their real life situation happens that needs their focus, etc.

so personally I've chosen to breed my own to solve that supply-issue once and for all.

but from the sellers that are still around, I've had good results from hybrids from hell. I haven't seen esben online for a while(few years?), but his site is still up and selling, and I noticed recently the site got a new look, so maybe he's also going to come out with new crosses?

Koondense

Veteran
La Buena Hierba varieties, unbeatable for outdoor resistence, at least in my experience.
Hfh also have this reputation but i had germ issues and mostly deformed plants.
Erdpurt as mentioned is a good outdoor choice, my picks would also be nepalese varieties from RealSeedCompany.
Another that comes to mind is Purple sattellite by Green mountain(Vermontman).

Cheers

therevverend

Veteran
Always a good idea for a thread. Mextiza from Cannabiogen is good. I have a plant that got powdery mildew so I didn't harvest it. The buds still haven't rotted despite two months of rain.

I've got a random sativa plant that's just finishing. It rains almost every day all day with nearly freezing temperatures and 8.4 hours of daylight and it's got almost no mold. Very thin wispy colas.

LostTribe

Premium user
I have read that Arcata Trainwreck is mold resistant. Any truth to that?

Also Northern Lights?

I know some would say those are bred for indoor. I know it and won't dispute it.

What about hybridizing elites to mold resistant varieties?

~41N Hot summers 100 degrees Higher Humidity 50-70%

Is the bud density the sole blame for bud rot? or are there other biotic and abiotic causes?

djonkoman

Veteran
Is the bud density the sole blame for bud rot? or are there other biotic and abiotic causes?

bud deensity is a factor, but in my experience there is a big genetic resistance factor not explained by bud density.

example: I have a cross I made with rsc kumaoni(the other stuff in the mix is good outdoor too, but this specific cross was to bring in the kumaoni, so I'm comparing it to the performance of the line without kumaoni). grew out multiple f2-plants. overall these plants were very moldresistant, the only cases of (minimal) budrot was un pollinated buds(used a flour-pollen mix and didn't wash it off, the flour probably caused the rot), and one plant got stemrot, but it never got into the buds. unfortunatly, all these plants were also late(half november harvest).

however, bud structure varied, both density and leafiness, but overal on the open/thinner side. there was one plant that stood out with really fat(but leafy) buds, looking at the buds and the weather I fully expected it to get budrot. went trough weeks of non-stop drizzelrain troughout october and november(this was 2017, a pretty bad season around here). not a single speck of budrot anywhere on that plant, not even on the pollinated buds.

however, I think there's more involved as just a resistance-trait and bud structure.

one thing I noticed with some plants(of other crosses or strains), is that pretty often(especially if budrot happens while the weather isn't that bad yet) mold starts in the oldest flowers, right up against the stem. I think(this goes into speculation, but based on what I've seen) that there are different types of maturation: either a slow, steady pace, resulting in older flowers being done and ready for mold to invade before the whole bud is ripe, or a fast flush, where a lot of flowers start at once, stay alive very long, and you'll be worrying it won't finish in time since there are still so many white hairs, but then it quickly ripens off, going from almost completely white, alive hairs to ripe within 2 weeks.

and I think cold resistance is involved too. I saw something in a few guerilla-plants, with one in particular: from a bit of distance the plant looked pretty bad, but up close most the buds were fine, but only fan leaves were dead(the kind of wet, limp dead you get with rot, but not actual mycelium or anything visible). in a few places those dead leaves did actually progress into budrot, and while drying a few buds were lost that way too, so my guess is those plants had insufficient cold tolerance(this was just as the weather hads turmned colder), and then the dying leaves from cold were an easy entrypoint for the rot. I also had one plant like that at home that didn't get any rot, but completely died when the nights turned colder, while the plant next to it was fine(temps were mostly above freezing, but there were a few nights with some frost around that time).

so, I think it's a combination of factors that help a plant stay healthy so they can fight the fungus more effectively(cold resistance, possibly more), or prevent conditions that help the fungus(bud density, dead leaves from cold, overmature dying calyxes), and actual ability/resistance to fight the fungus.

and the earlier a strain is the less those factors matter, since if it finishes early enough it won't deal with that much cold, and, at least around here, there's often a turningpoint somewhere in september or oktober when the weather turms to shit, so with an early strain you have a good chance to finish before that happens(but still, in an unlucky season early strains are screwed too). later strains can work too, but need better mold resistance as early strains.

bigtacofarmer

Veteran
Anyone in the us use reall gorilla before?

Yes. And had great results. I fucked up and did not follow the same directions I clearly read. So they let me know. Mailed me back. While I fixed and re mailed my order. They still got it to me quick. So they returned my money order that the directions clearly told my stoned seld not to send. And I got my seeds. And they gave me awesome freebies from a very popular breeder.

LostTribe

Premium user
Back to OD strains that are mold resistant.

Any one tried elite genetics OD? Please include cutting or seed and any hybrids?

I am interested in the following or hybrids of:

-Cookies
-Chemdog
-Diesel
-TrainWreck
-OG's

LT

luciano28

Doubt it can be found still but Swiss Miss from Nirvana was best pest-resistant and mold resistance strain I've ever grown guerilla. 10 years ago or so. All my afghans got some mold but SM was fine. The strain surprised me effect-wise. Very unique stink and flavor to it . I have never encountered that smell again. Closest was probably RKS, SM had a skunky smell undertone but the main reek from it was weird

I tried Swiss Cheese 2 years later because I couldn't get SM and it still had mold-resistance but bugs liked it a lot

Sticky Sat

Good luck for the hunt... I've tried several supposedly mold resistant strain with poor results... On a tropical island with all year long monsoon style rains, average 32 C° temp and 90 to 115 % RH, the only way to get a mold resistant strain has been to fully exposed plants to the weather and breed the ones that weren't straight away rotting alive... Even so, conditions are getting worse every year so it's an endless fight/search... Found some surprisingly resistant phenos in the circa 2003 SAGE

troutman

Seed Whore
Plants with some Sativa in them are normally better in wet environments than full Indica
plants. Another thing, resistance is only obtained by exposure to the problem and in this
case it's mold. Breeding outdoors in cold and wet areas helps in finding that resistance.

'Boogieman'

Back to OD strains that are mold resistant.

Any one tried elite genetics OD? Please include cutting or seed and any hybrids?

I am interested in the following or hybrids of:

-Cookies
-Chemdog
-Diesel
-TrainWreck
-OG's

LT

I'm in the midwest by the great lakes 43° N, at least 3 plus days of rain a week from mid September and by October were lucky if it's not cloudy, wet, and chilly everyday making evaporation slow.

I would not suggest chemdawg, I have tried many versions from seed all with really bad grey mold issues. Many Durban poison hybrids do very good, I would try cookies if I were to grow something on your list. I have my own hybrid Durban poison x C99 grow outdoors some get grey mold, some get pm but most do not and I keep seed from the good plants each year hoping for even better improvements.

I'm interested in other responses too especially regarding og and trainwreck. I have read mixed results with the glue.

Last edited:

Limeygreen

Veteran
Check out bushbrothers seeds (his website is down for the moment) people have been finding his freezeland crosses with things like purple kush mold resistant but he does lots of those cookies and kush style hybrids.