What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

What happened to Sweet Pink Grapefruit?

If you are looking for genetics with Sweet Pink Grapefruit from B.C. then Chimera and Next Generation seeds are your best bets in addition to the Swiss companies already mentioned. I've got the sweet skunk grapefruit cross going on at the moment and I have one that is leaning towards the grapefruit side of things. I also have CHimera's SPG blueberry cross going at the moment and have one that is reeking of grapefruit. Chimera also has a grapefruit CHemd cross which I have yet to crack the beans on. Next generation seeds also have a couple of grapefruit crosses, and I believe their Dynamite is their line bred Grapefruit. The good news with grapefruit crosses is that there are some clear indicators that it's leaning towards the grapefruit. The bad news is what those indicators are: If it flowers when root bound regardless of light cycle then it's a grapefruit leaner. If it's prone to bud rot if you don't keep your humidity dialed it's a grapefruit leaner. SPG can be pretty finicky so perhaps it's better to run hybrids that keep the elements you are looking for and hope the bad elements have been bred out.

King Rat

Lets fill that thread with some nice sweet pink grapefruit buds
picture.php

picture.php

weedobix

ICMag Donor
Veteran
I've got 3 alpine spg's & 2 female seeds grapefruit at 6 weeks, the alpines got a more spicy smell at the moment, the fms does smell like grapefruits

Oregonism

Mikado is supposed to be SPG from
Err....SOL Spice of life breeder steve.....not next gen like I originally typed, my bad....

Last edited:

Pineapple_Punch

Veteran
Cool info, bro. This clears it for me. Thanks

No Problem! :)

When i first grew the SPG i had no clue what it was, i put her in a relatively small Pot, something what she really hates. So repotting is needed, or directly choose a bigger pot. Really like her smell, will cross her with a Oaxaca79Skull male when i find the time. :)

Peace

Pineapple_Punch

Veteran
Also the grower Knospe from Switzerland brought some other Clones to Austria, well known Outdoor Strains. The Erdbeerli, Alpine Rocket, Heaven, Diamond, Bubblebeere, and also Legends Ultimate Indica. Bubblebeere (Bubblegum x Orig. Erdbeer by Green Hornet Seeds)

And as i said before, Knospe from Switzerland isn't the same person as Dr. Knospe(Sebastian) who has selected the well know European Jaggen clone only. Dr.Knospe sadly already died years ago, but his clone is still alive.

Shmavis

Being-in-the-world
I popped two of Chimera's GF x SS and also found three girls in a pack of his GF x BB. Citrus smelling plants were found, but none that I would classify as straight grapefruit. How many seeds did you pop?

The best citrus smelling platns I ever grew were Paradise’s Dutch Dragon - found outstanding plants in all regards! So exceptional that that's why I got GF x SS, to see if i could find that smell again. Also have five fems of DD in the vault, hopefully there's something similar to be found like I found in the regs early '00s.

As I understand it, (or so the interwebs say) SPG is a “ BC Grapefruit” cross from SOL. So possibly there’s a distinction to be made between GF and SPG?

Jordan of the islands has his blue city diesel. that's nycd x blueberry. I think its somas grapefruit pheno cause they speak of the over powering sour citrus flavor. probably wouldn't have much trouble finding a grapefruit pheno in those beans. his prices are really good too. this isn't a plug. and im not affiliated in any way, just some good slept on genetics.

Oregonism

I popped two of Chimera's GF x SS and also found three girls in a pack of his GF x BB. Citrus smelling plants were found, but none that I would classify as straight grapefruit. How many seeds did you pop?

The best citrus smelling platns I ever grew were Paradise’s Dutch Dragon - found outstanding plants in all regards! So exceptional that that's why I got GF x SS, to see if i could find that smell again. Also have five fems of DD in the vault, hopefully there's something similar to be found like I found in the regs early '00s.

As I understand it, (or so the interwebs say) SPG is a “ BC Grapefruit” cross from SOL. So possibly there’s a distinction to be made between GF and SPG?

Yes, this is true, Breeder Steve, I brain farted above and changed my post. Not next gen.

Guy Brush

ICMag Donor
Veteran

Full pack. iirc they were five fems resulting in 4 girls, one didn't make it. All strong hazy stuff without the citrus.

I

Ignignokt

I made some GF x BB F2 a few years ago.... i sprouted 6 a few months ago but only 1 female from the 6.
Hopefully i can find a nice BB heavy one and a nice GF heavy one.
I think you would find some GF heavy ones in the ones Chimera sold.
I don't think i got any mutants in the one packet i grew which might suggest that the GF is more dominant(but maybe just coincidence).

Hazeman has mikado
Next gen has dynamite
Alpine seeds have sweet tooth

I’m sure you could find what your looking for in any one of those, seeing that those haven’t been adulterated.

Limeygreen

Veteran
Whitebuffalo did the cross of Grapefuit x puna haze which is supposed to have lots of citrus in it. Flowers longer than the clone about 60 days.

Vital

Hazeman has preserved the Mikado line which is breeder Steve's Sweet Pink Grapefruit, buy a few packs and you'll find what you're looking for.

Chimera

Genetic Resource Management
Veteran
Never came to growing this, but now I'm curious. Alpine Seeds had their bx project and Hortilab seemed to have a version too. But all sold out. Tried the GFxSS by Chimera but that was nothing like grapefruit, not even close to any citrus strain. Just a spicy NLD. Strong but smellwise unappealing and a lanky 12weeker. So where's the real Grapefruit? Short flowering and sweet a.f...with an indica turn. Female Seeds version is a C99 line I'm also not interested in atm. Clones are also welcome, if in Europe.

So you grew a Hazy cross and were surprised by longer flowering plants with a spicy scent? How many exactly did you grow?

Guy Brush

ICMag Donor
Veteran
So you grew a Hazy cross and were surprised by longer flowering plants with a spicy scent? How many exactly did you grow?

4 of 5 made it. It's true, I had hoped for shorter flowering times from the grapefruit and for some kind of citrus smell when both parents are told to smell somewhat citrusy. I'm just reflecting the experience. One of the 4 smelled (and looked) a bit differently, like berries and baby poop, took only 9-10 weeks and was smaller. I also never had any real Grapefruit weed, so cant say for sure if that was it or not but I thought it should reek like grapefruit. This is no offense, but that was what I was looking for and didn't find it. I could have been happier if they were like they were, with additional grapefruit smell or some citrus leaning smells.
There were also no strain descriptions anywhere to find so I had to go by user grows and this one made me curious and got me disappointed in the end:

Highroller614, i grew out a couple of chimera's GFxSS and they were fantastic. The buzz is very social and enjoyable but smoke too much and it will have you soaring. The taste is exceptional and the grapefruit taste was in each cut. I grew mine under LED and took them between 11-12 weeks to really fatten them up which they did. Great producers and even better tasting. The sweet skunk adds a real nice lemon haze thing with just a touch of incense which really bring the grapefruit to the forefront. In a joint you will taste the grapefruit from start to finish. She leans heavy towards the sativa side so not recommended for late night toking. I wouldn't think twice about picking up a pack. Bob is right about that GFxChem, the terp profile is one i am dying to try especially knowing how well she smokes crossed to the SS. Good luck in your hunt.

The description aligned with my experience, apart from the smell, which was the most important thing.

Last edited:
G

growhigh1233

iv found a irrefutable grapefruit in chims sweet skunk s1 dead ringer

Treevly

I recently found a small bottle of seeds in my freezer: C99 x ???, from 1996 or 1997. The male could be C99, GWS, or either of two strains on the market then but lost in the mists of time. My buddy grew it, and as I helped him move stuff I asked what the heck the seeds were. "I must have missed one of the males," was the reply. It behoves me to try them in spring.