What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Combustible Gas Detectors

corky1968

Veteran
Anyone ever see or use one of these Combustible Gas Detectors?

Considering I'll be playing with lots of chemicals soon enough. I think I may get one really soon.
It doesn't mention butane but it probably works for it. Since propane and pentane are the c3
and c5 carbon hydrocarbon molecules while butane is a c4

For the price, I think it would be very wise for people to buy something like this.
Better safe than sorry. For less than $25 isn't your safety worth it?

According to the Ebay listing it can be used to detect hydrocarbons like methane, natural gas, gas, ethane,
propane, benzene, Acetylene, propane, N,N,N,n, Pentane, hexane, gas oil, toluene ), halogenated hydrocarbons
(methylchloride, methylene chloride, three chloride, vinyl chloride,alcohols(methanol, ethanol, alcohol )...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Portabl...212653?hash=item1c5fbb92ed:g:dQwAAOSwKtlWl6Ff

w

Gray Wolf

A Posse ad Esse. From Possibility to realization.
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
A good HC sensor is a good idea. A cheap one is not, unless it also works well. Neither are worth much, if they're broke..............

Regularly check your sensors to make sure they are still working properly.

deadkndys

Those are a must imo.

Heres a tip. Go outside turn it on, then go inside for a reading.

You should also be using it every day to check for leaks.

corky1968

Veteran
Regardless which one a person gets.

I think one of these should be mandatory for any person playing indoors with flammable chemicals.
I'll be looking harder before I buy one to make sure I get a good one.

BigJohnny

Regardless which one a person gets.

I think one of these should be mandatory for any person playing indoors with flammable chemicals.
I'll be looking harder before I buy one to make sure I get a good one.

I think the one I linked, and the one Symbiotic uses is probably one of the best ones available....

But if the course of your research turns up some better models post the results here.

Who knows, maybe if they had one of these detectors at the new mexico explosion, the explosion probably wouldn't have happened. But I get the feeling that those guys simply would've turned the alarm off so it'd stop bugging them lol ...... Actually that's not really funny.

KONY

Veteran
Why not the more permanent wall mounted option? Seems like a portable unit for our purposes is a bit silly. Unless you move locations regularly for some strange reason.

BigJohnny

Why not the more permanent wall mounted option? Seems like a portable unit for our purposes is a bit silly. Unless you move locations regularly for some strange reason.

Which ones? The BW Technologies one I linked is a belt clip model I think, but could be mounted to a wall just as easily.

Obsidian

Veteran
my little portable works fine, I use it every few minutes holding it around connection checking.
I know it works, because when I went to do the whole vac thing at the end and when the vac pump blew out the residual butane the alarm went off, boy did I jump.
It was a few minutes of checking the hose connections before I realized what was happening.

corky1968

Veteran
my little portable works fine, I use it every few minutes holding it around connection checking.
I know it works, because when I went to do the whole vac thing at the end and when the vac pump blew out the residual butane the alarm went off, boy did I jump.
It was a few minutes of checking the hose connections before I realized what was happening.

Which kind or model do you have?

jump /injack

Veteran
Gas detectors and fire retardant clothing is the way to go when working around butane or other explosive gasses. Sounds so simple but wear shoes, wear long pants and long shirts, don't smoke or allow anyone over that does and several large fans blowing the the gas away from your area. Gray Wolf has said that the fireball from butane is over 3400 degrees Fahrenheit and will melt steel , that's why there are so many 3rd degree burns. A steak on a grill is the equivalent to a 3rd Degree Burn. Check out the Gray Wolf's safety tip in the stickies above. Stay out of residential areas.

Packamilli

Hey guys, with the honeywell detector, did you have to change settings at all? I see it is calorbrated for methane lel. Is that the exact model you got?