What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

$500 to light a 3x3-what would YOU buy?

Goats

gardener60

I have a question for you my grow space is 8ft. long and 3.7ft wide. I want to put a 600 watt HPS in there. Do you think that would be overkill for that space? I am using a 4ft. 8 bulb T5 3000k 432 watts. It is working but I think I could do better. All comments are welcome. I will change the bulbs in my T5 to 6500k and use it for vegging.

Goats

I have a question for you my grow space is 8ft. long and 3.7ft wide. I want to put a 600 watt HPS in there. Do you think that would be overkill for that space? I am using a 4ft. 8 bulb T5 3000k 432 watts. It is working but I think I could do better. All comments are welcome. I will change the bulbs in my T5 to 6500k and use it for vegging.

a space that size you would need at least two 600w hps to light it almost sufficiently. i would probably go with 2x1000w if i were going to use HPS.

2x630w CMH would be pretty good for that space as well.

Douglas.Curtis

Autistic Diplomat in Training
600w will comfortably do a 3x3 to a 4x4, depending on your hood and strain. You'll do fine in there with it on one half of the room. I would look at changing your T5 lights for T5-conversion LED strips, it will drop your electricity use quite a bit.

Ruby_Abu

Right now, i am using Mars Hydro reflector 192 in 4x4 tent,.
It cost me 430USD for the light and tent. The light can output 400W power.
I know it is a little less than the standard number. But so far, it works well.
I was writing a grow diary about it.

zachrockbadenof

Veteran
600w will comfortably do a 3x3 to a 4x4, depending on your hood and strain. You'll do fine in there with it on one half of the room. I would look at changing your T5 lights for T5-conversion LED strips, it will drop your electricity use quite a bit.

i am using '2' 315 cmh in a 4x3.5ft tent, n felt last grow the lite was inadequate ... i gave away to a friend '3' 300w vipar led;s- he gave me '2' of em back which i added this go-around on the sides... tho these 300 vipar's SUCK (imo) , i guess they will add some add lite...

St. Phatty

Used 600 watt HPS off Craigslist, + New 600 watt bulb, + high-output SIL LED's around the perimeter.

$250 spent, $250 left in the budget.

Sunshineinabag

600 cool tube with a 4 inch inline fan pulling out the air. Gotta be using eye hortilux tho.
2-3 t-5 four footers on the sides supplementing uvb etc etc etc, or a mh. Either way using both should work well. ESP with 500.00 limit

zachrockbadenof

Veteran
600 cool tube with a 4 inch inline fan pulling out the air. Gotta be using eye hortilux tho.
2-3 t-5 four footers on the sides supplementing uvb etc etc etc, or a mh. Either way using both should work well. ESP with 500.00 limit

last spring used 2x315 cmh in 4x3.5ft tent, thought not enough light, so added a 4ft 8bulb fluor... and the temps went into triple digits- pity it will not work in my setup

I've noticed many posts here are focusing on price to cover a specific area. Obviously anything you do DIY is going to be cheaper than a pre-packaged option, and yet almost all the DIY parts out there are generic white phosphor LEDs with some strips of red in them. This technology was available more than a decade ago before I got into the LED industry, and it saddens me to see that the industry has reverted back to white LEDs based on cost, rather than the focus being on performance.

Is cost really the most important factor to growers these days? What I mean is that if you can buy Light X for $600 and Light Y for $900, and both use the same amount of watts, but Light X gives you 300g of bud whereas Light Y gives you 480g of bud. Are you still going to purchase Light X because it's cheaper, or are you going to buy light Y because it gives you an extra 180G on every harvest?

I don't see many people doing a cost analysis here of lighting technologies, comparing one to another and seeing which gives you the most grams per watt. I mostly just see people focusing on "what can I put in here for $500?" I'm guessing this is because there are less and less "for profit" growers these days as more states become legal rather than medical (or illegal)?

S

SandyFantasyman

I've noticed many posts here are focusing on price to cover a specific area.

Did you read the thread title? That was the exact purpose of the thread. What did you expect the responses to be about?

When I started it, I wanted to make the parameters simple and straight forward.

I do my own further analysis based on g/w/day, but as a micro, personal grower that's more to satisfy my curiosity than for any real practical purposes. I have no need to be pissing around for every possible gram, I already grow more than I need. I want my lights(and my whole system) to be simple, effective and easily repairable or replaceable from local sources.

My SIL rig more than meets these requirements so I am happy, as are many other SIL growers. We don't need state of the art lights that are less than twice as effective for 10 times the cost.

Does that answer your inquiry?

My SIL rig more than meets these requirements so I am happy, as are many other SIL growers. We don't need state of the art lights that are less than twice as effective for 10 times the cost.

Does that answer your inquiry?

I see a lot of new terms these days that didn't exist even 4 years ago. For example what is SIL?

When I make a statement like "twice as effective" it's based on real life, side-by-side grow tests performed by independent parties like yourself. Do you have any such testing against "state of the art" lights that are 10X the cost? And what do you consider "state of the art"?

From what I see, most people these days think HLG fits that description, and yet to me it's just a generic white phosphor board without a finned heat sink that you can buy direct on AliExpress for super cheap (less than $45 a PCB shipped). And well, white light has been obsolete for a long time despite most people still using it.

Obviously I don't expect you to take my word for it (although the plethora of journals in my signature do back up what I say), but having been undefeated now for a decade in side-by-sides, I would be very surprised if your SIL fixture were able to come in at even half the yield per watt of our own. Granted as you say, you already have more yield than you can use, which to me says that if you were using our lights you'd need less watts and less space to get what you need. But the only way to know for sure is a side-by-side.

S

SandyFantasyman

A few things:

First, I acknowledged that your lights are likely twice as effective. My Screw-In Leds(you should be doing your own research, but I'll give you this one), as I said are likely 1/10 or less the cost. I see where the value lies for ME.

Second, I see you are reviving/hijacking a bunch of old threads trying to change them from their original purpose to the purpose of promoting you and your products. Please don't do that in my thread.

A few things:

First, I acknowledged that your lights are likely twice as effective. My Screw-In Leds(you should be doing your own research, but I'll give you this one), as I said are likely 1/10 or less the cost. I see where the value lies for ME.

Second, I see you are reviving/hijacking a bunch of old threads trying to change them from their original purpose to the purpose of promoting you and your products. Please don't do that in my thread.

Yes, I could have looked it up, but I find it more engaging to ask others on simple things like new abbreviations. Several years ago no one ran screw-in lights, but thank you for teaching me a new term :)

I'm sorry for misunderstanding your meaning. I read your statement incorrectly. Today is my first day back here on IC as an Advertiser.

There is only one old thread that I revived, which is one I posted in 2014. Every other post I've made today outside of my own forum, has been on posts that were on the first page of each forum section. Some of the threads only had one oage. I have a wealth of knowledge to share when it comes to grow lights specifically, and I do acknowledge I can come off a bit strong. I'm sorry if you feel I hijacked your post, as it was not my intention. I will respect your wishes and no longer post in your thread if that's what you want. :huggg:

Last edited:

zoo

Yes, I could have looked it up, but I find it more engaging to ask others on simple things like new abbreviations. Several years ago no one ran screw-in lights, but thank you for teaching me a new term :)

I'm sorry for misunderstanding your meaning. I read your statement incorrectly. Today is my first day back here on IC as an Advertiser.

There is only one old thread that I revived, which is one I posted in 2014. Every other post I've made today outside of my own forum, has been on posts that were on the first page of each forum section. Some of the threads only had one oage. I have a wealth of knowledge to share when it comes to grow lights specifically, and I do acknowledge I can come off a bit strong. I'm sorry if you feel I hijacked your post, as it was not my intention. I will respect your wishes and no longer post in your thread if that's what you want. :huggg:

The more of your posts I read the more I dislike you. You are doing passive-agressive promotion because your lights are not selling well

If they were you wouldn't be constantly trying to shit on HLG and white leds, let your products speak for themselves.. I don't see anyone using them. All the threads in your sig are years old and uncompleted. Stop being such a bitter person and makes some good lights and people might just respect you.

S

SandyFantasyman

The more of your posts I read the more I dislike you. You are doing passive-agressive promotion because your lights are not selling well

If they were you wouldn't be constantly trying to shit on HLG and white leds, let your products speak for themselves.. I don't see anyone using them. All the threads in your sig are years old and uncompleted. Stop being such a bitter person and makes some good lights and people might just respect you.

The guy figured he could stroll into the IC forums and impress all us rubes with his superior LED knowledge. He acts like time stood still the 4 years he was away and all of us are stuck in 2015 just waiting for him to save us.

Then, instead of easing into it, getting the lay of the land, maybe doing a grow journal or two to show what his product does, he charges in. He tries to hijack a bunch of other peoples threads and creates bad will.

Now he's spent money on advertising here, he's spent money giving away lights, and all he's done is annoy people.

It amazes me that folks will put so much time and effort into a product and zero effort into learning how to do public relations and marketing. Ah well, I imagine the market will treat him in the manner he deserves.

Latest posts

Latest posts