What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Best LED lights on the market

Lost in a SOG

GrassSnakeGenetics
I was sure I saw load's of reviewers even on amazon saying they are cheaply made and blow out after a short time or identical units having different spectrum's or running too hot or just breaking.. who knows, they look cheap and they are cheap which usually means crap.

Koondense

Veteran
Indeed, yet there will always be lots of people who praise a brand which makes generic led fixtures like vipar.
So it's still annoying to sometimes see the blind being led by the blind, as petflora said.

Lost in a SOG

GrassSnakeGenetics
Oh yeah I know i couldn't agree more, that is the main reason I ever came to IC mag from overgrow back in the day because a lot of real folks I felt I could trust the words of resided here.

You have to verify sources in your own mind really don't you and a lot of the time that depends on your experience anyway so when people come to forums like this and see some hype BS bigging up the "latest" inefficient chinese led and the price seems too good to be true they jump on it and hopefully learn another lesson.

There should be more cannabis cultivation schools or online classes or something because people are investing their future to some extent in ganja and loads of time and money is being wasted encouraging backwards horticultural practices through misinformation on the webs.

rshackleferd

Went from 500 watt mh/hps hid to 5 cxb3500 at 155-270 watts, mind was blown. I had no faith in leds till i actually saw the results myself.

rshackleferd

Now they have quantum boards, can't imagine anything better than these cobs. Even the light from these cobs feel good on the eyes. Its almost like natural sunlight in your grow room, doesn't have a fake feel or glare.

gbauto

Another option if you're open to a simple DIY would be strips like Samsung or Bridgelux. The F-series G3 strips are in 1, 2 and 4-foot lengths up to 100W/strip. I used 4 of the 2'double rows on a 24x18 aluminum baking pan with a 185w driver-absolutely crushes a 2x2.5 closet grow.

Lost in a SOG

GrassSnakeGenetics
Cheers for that gbauto

I checked it out but the parts still came out more expensive than just getting a HLG kit, on digikey at least.

would there be any advantages to using a diy kit with those samsung G3 or Bridgelux EB2 strips over a HLG board?

:smoker:

PetFlora

ICMag Donor
Veteran
As much as I like and admire HGL boards, my personal experience with bar type lights is that they are easier to enhance

Even though 3000-4000K only boards do a nice job, IMHO plants will benefit from more reds during flower, and you can't simply add some bars along the sides and expect great coverage

I recently ordered SolStix R/B bars which are easy to slot inbetween my SPYDR 600 bars. I just hope they arrive in time to benefit my current grow

https://solstrip.com/en/blog/post/8-introducing-red-blue-strip.html

Went from 500 watt mh/hps hid to 5 cxb3500 at 155-270 watts, mind was blown. I had no faith in leds till i actually saw the results myself.
Forgive me if I'm reading this wrong but 5 x 155w = 775w, and 5 x 270w = 1350w. Both of these LED total wattage's are significantly more than 500w so the comparison isn't really valid.

bleedsgreen

this looks very interesting and fairly priced + made in USA

https://www.mj12led.com/online-store/Majestic-MJ12-Led-Grow-Light-p97134276
if I worked there I would have chosen some healthier plants to show off those lights. The plants under them looked sickly and nutrient deprived? or was that just my impression?

How much for you to build me a couple of COB's Petflora? I am still living in last century, hell I still have a 400 watt hydrofarm in a veg area that I bought in 84. (still runs like a champ, replace bulb ever 6 months or so :D

Jellyfish

Invertebrata Inebriata
Veteran
420giveaway
Indeed, yet there will always be lots of people who praise a brand which makes generic led fixtures like vipar.
So it's still annoying to sometimes see the blind being led by the blind, as petflora said.

So sorry to annoy you, but the TRUTH is, Viparspectra products aren't bad at all. I have used them for several runs, and I get great results, no negatives at all.

Your coming back again and again to knock the brand makes me think you're working for another LED company maybe.

Lost in a SOG

GrassSnakeGenetics
Ooor maybe it is you Jellyfish! muaha I've got you you corporate mole in the IC hole! you've spent a long time building up your rep here to give your dishonourable allegiance away now!! :biggrin:

Okay I bad mouthed viparspectra unfairly and want to declare I do not work for an LED company lol

Truth is i've not used them but I do trust jellyfish so I will stop saying anything about something I know nothing about, or am briefly informed about.

so far I have had Todogrow led 100w cobs, an advanced p300 and GN Telos 08 (240w) and I still somewhat prefer my CMHs for main flower but I probably won't grow without LEDs from now on.

The COBs are fun and amazing value for money I think. The thing I like about the GN Telos, just to plug yet another company again :biggrin:, is it's properly IP66 sealed and I can put it in a greenhouse and not fear electrocution but you can't really let them get nearer than 40cm to these light or light bleaching will start. Actually made in the North of the UK which may sicken some lol but that's where I'm from.

I'd love to make a light really with a mix of cobs and strips and use that alongside CMHs but I have to have a lot of spare cash for that project as it will be pimped :pimp3:

PetFlora

ICMag Donor
Veteran
if I worked there I would have chosen some healthier plants to show off those lights. The plants under them looked sickly and nutrient deprived? or was that just my impression?

How much for you to build me a couple of COB's Petflora? I am still living in last century, hell I still have a 400 watt hydrofarm in a veg area that I bought in 84. (still runs like a champ, replace bulb ever 6 months or so :D

Yeah, I noticed and emailed him about it

I do not DIY

PetFlora

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Ooor maybe it is you Jellyfish! muaha I've got you you corporate mole in the IC hole! you've spent a long time building up your rep here to give your dishonourable allegiance away now!! :biggrin:

Okay I bad mouthed viparspectra unfairly and want to declare I do not work for an LED company lol

Truth is i've not used them but I do trust jellyfish so I will stop saying anything about something I know nothing about, or am briefly informed about.

so far I have had Todogrow led 100w cobs, an advanced p300 and GN Telos 08 (240w) and I still somewhat prefer my CMHs for main flower but I probably won't grow without LEDs from now on.

The COBs are fun and amazing value for money I think. The thing I like about the GN Telos, just to plug yet another company again :biggrin:, is it's properly IP66 sealed and I can put it in a greenhouse and not fear electrocution but you can't really let them get nearer than 40cm to these light or light bleaching will start. Actually made in the North of the UK which may sicken some lol but that's where I'm from.

I'd love to make a light really with a mix of cobs and strips and use that alongside CMHs but I have to have a lot of spare cash for that project as it will be pimped :pimp3:

It amazes me that Amare Technologies CoB Hybrids don't get much discussion. Top flight products with 25% off makes them competitive but a class above. I've been using various models for 4 years

Latest posts

Latest posts