What's new

soak times and lbs of butane used. cls

midwestHIGHS

Veteran
I've been flooding my 2lb terp column(3"×36") with top feed, packing usually 750 to 900gs in the tube modertly tight. I use about 4lbs of solvent per flood and a total of 9lbs of butane per run usually I do 5 to 10 minute soaks dump then repeat one more time ans use the last lb of butane in my storage tank to wash everything out. I also run the system passively with about -20 butane.

What are your soak times, temperatures, and lbs of solvent per lb of material? I'm aiming for the lightest color, high yields but also a low plant wax content with out a true inline single solvent dewax.

Happy extracting everyone!

BrainChild

Hey there

I also run passively with cold solvent, w/ pretty much a terp design. My favored tubes at this point are the 3x12" because I can fit 275-330 grams of nug or sugar trim in them, which seems to be a good fit with the amount of solvent I run with (only about 2.5-2.7 lbs).

I've played around with soaking times, here is what I've been doing: after I inject the solvent I wait til I feel the cold at the bottom of the column, this is when I will close the valve for a soak, but I only do it for maybe a few mins at most, just trying to allow more even coverage of the material. Because honestly I've found with a good even pack in the tube, a simple top down gravity feed with cold solvent and fine filtration even with no soak gives me good yields and results. Anytime I've tried the longer soaks like 10 mins, I pull a lot of wax and lipids. Though I'm pretty happy with this method I'm still anxious to get a dewaxing setup for my system so I can soak for longer, getting even better yields hopefully. I really feel that's the ticket, run for maximum pickup and then do a good dewax

midwestHIGHS

Veteran
Last 5 runs I did I used the 3"x36" "dewax columns" filled with dryice at -40 to -50F with 2 soaks using 2.2lbs of butane per soak. I usually run 7lbs of butane do two soaks for 5 minutes each. then let the last amount of butane 2.6lbs to rinse anything else out of the column. Im getting very nice lights colors, lots of terps and high yields with low plant wax content. The dry ice sleeve allows to do soaks without picking up large amounts of undesirbles. Much better results then running with out. Although with column being so cold towards the end of the run im not able to recover all of the residual gas out of the column, even at a
-20hg vacuum.

Gray Wolf

A Posse ad Esse. From Possibility to realization.
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
For light colored material, I flood from the bottom for two or three volumes and then rinse a volume from the top. All at subzero temperatures.

No soak.

gholladay

For light colored material, I flood from the bottom for two or three volumes and then rinse a volume from the top. All at subzero temperatures.

No soak.
GW, how long does it take you to recover 4 passes through a 3"x36" column when you're doing the cotton candy tech and your collection bath temp is 65-70F?

GH

Gray Wolf

Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Do you use muliple collection pots when doing that with larger material tubes?

No, but have designed systems with multiple pots and columns.

The Mk V is the largest platform that I've ever built, and have never run more than 4 X 36" columns on it.

I roughly figure about 11 inches of firmly packed 4" column, per inch of liquid in a 12" pot.

I try to keep the puddle below the 6" mark, and consider the 8" maximum.

The Haskel 59025-3's that we've used, are recovering a pound in every three minutes, or so, so we are recovering and flooding at the same time.

Flood times are heavily dependent on the temperature we are flooding at, but recovery times are more constant at the flooding stage of the process.

Gray Wolf

Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
GW, how long does it take you to recover 4 passes through a 3"x36" column when you're doing the cotton candy tech and your collection bath temp is 65-70F?

GH

Solly bro, as strange as it may sound, I've never run a 3" X 36" column. I jumped directly from 2" to 4".

jswick93

Do you use muliple collection pots when doing that with larger material tubes?

I am also curious to hear about this. I thought that in my 6" x 12" recovery pot, I could only inject 4-5 lbs of butane safely? Are you using another pot clamped underneath to allow for 7-9 lbs of liquid butane? Or are you recovering into a separate tank in between floods possibly? I've been running passively, but have been using the 1.5" x 36" or smaller columns, in order to do my equivalent of around three floods into the recovery pot at once, with no soak. This would help me out so that I could step up to my 450g or 900g columns.

Gray Wolf

Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I am also curious to hear about this. I thought that in my 6" x 12" recovery pot, I could only inject 4-5 lbs of butane safely? Are you using another pot clamped underneath to allow for 7-9 lbs of liquid butane? Or are you recovering into a separate tank in between floods possibly? I've been running passively, but have been using the 1.5" x 36" or smaller columns, in order to do my equivalent of around three floods into the recovery pot at once, with no soak. This would help me out so that I could step up to my 450g or 900g columns.

I'm discussing a WW Mk IV or V, with 12 X 12 pots and here is the math I used to engineer it, if you would care to check out your own.

A packed 4 X 36" column holds around 7 lbs of butane and chock to the brim, a 12 X 12" spool holds about 28.6 lbs of butane, so with 4" of clearance between the puddle and the pump intake port, holds around 19 lbs.

Depending on packing, an ambient flood takes around 1.5 minutes per volume, and a subzero flood takes several minutes, depending on how cold.

The Haskel recovers at a rate around .4 pound per minute, or slightly faster than a pound every three minutes, without heat assist. Speed with heat assist is highly dependent on how much heat.

At the faster flood rate of 1.5 minutes, it takes 4.5 minutes for the 3 volume flood, plus another minute or so to back fill the upper hoses and plumbing for top flush, during which time the Haskel has recovered 2.2 lbs.

(7lb X 3) - (5.5 min X .4 lbs)= 18.8 lbs against 19 lb capacity

In reality, three one volume floods, with two from the bottom and one from the top, is a guideline to start from. I always watch the color of the material coming through the sight glass to determine when it is time to quit flooding, and switch to flush, and keep track of how much liquid is in the lower pot by monitoring through the pot sight glass.

If it looks like I'm getting ahead of myself, I slow down or shut off the flood flows.

Latest posts

Latest posts