What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Fresh frozen live resin extraction

midwestHIGHS

Veteran
When I extract fresh frozen, I chop fresh, dry for a few hours then freeze untill extaction, then proceed to run with-20 nbutane yo avoid cholophyl and waxes. What's your method?

Dab Strudel

Skip the drying, your letting the 'Live Resin' die. A better method would be to chop your plant down one by one and trim into a bucket that you can put a lid on and throw in the freezer. Moisture is the down fall of live resin extracts

Gray Wolf

A Posse ad Esse. From Possibility to realization.
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
We like to cut our fresh cut material into ~1/2" nugs and pack into a column, before sealing and freezing. Than minimizes how much humidity is available in the air to form ice over the trichomes.

We then extract with butane ranging from 0F to around -30C, using a counterflow exchanger and liquid N2.

How cold should you freeze the chamber before running it? I have a -80c freezer that can hold my chambers, and I'm running my CLS at between -40-50c. I have not had a chance to actually do a "Live Resin" or "Fresh Frozen" run yet, but am curious about the min. temp ranges you all recommend.... I've been assuming the colder the better.

Are you guys soaking it all on your live resin runs? I usually just run through so it's clear and wait 2min and repeat, wondering if soak will affect it too much or lock it up?

midwestHIGHS

Veteran
Good question I have only done a few true live resin runs, not enough to be well versed on the subject. I was thinking of running g the 1lb dewax column on my terp with some double mint and thin mint chopped then immediately froEn. Will I have problems with freezing and blockage.

midwestHIGHS

Veteran
I plan to get my dewax column to -40f ish before doing a 10 min soak. Would this give me the lightest colored most prestige extract or will I be at risk for ice chunks forming and blocking my flow of solvent

BrownWaterBoys

my method

my method

I prefer to cut and take non sugar leaf off, cut buds up rough but id say 1/2inch to 1/4inch or even 1inch nugs here and there are ok. Then ice water hash extract, then make rosin with 25mm screen onto parchment papers. I dont let the cannabis dry, just leafs off, buds in freezer, then chop em up easy right before making.

Friends dont let friends smoke anything with solvent in it. Seriously we have dry sift and rosin and now fresh frozen rosin, or Frosin,, and you guys wanna do it with fucking solvents...lol. Each his own i guess.

I prefer to cut and take non sugar leaf off, cut buds up rough but id say 1/2inch to 1/4inch or even 1inch nugs here and there are ok. Then ice water hash extract, then make rosin with 25mm screen onto parchment papers. I dont let the cannabis dry, just leafs off, buds in freezer, then chop em up easy right before making.

Friends dont let friends smoke anything with solvent in it. Seriously we have dry sift and rosin and now fresh frozen rosin, or Frosin,, and you guys wanna do it with fucking solvents...lol. Each his own i guess.

because we dont smoke BHO with solvent in it... 0ppm... Different strokes for different folks, I like Rosin sometimes but prefer BHO

Dab Strudel

How cold should you freeze the chamber before running it? I have a -80c freezer that can hold my chambers, and I'm running my CLS at between -40-50c. I have not had a chance to actually do a "Live Resin" or "Fresh Frozen" run yet, but am curious about the min. temp ranges you all recommend.... I've been assuming the colder the better.

Best guess is get a reducer cap X (Larger diameter) NPT from brewers hardware or something for both ends of your column and a ball valve to connect it. vac it down and close the valves, throw it in the freezer and go from there.

First post in 14 months and coming off as rough as the best of the crowd. You could just respect peoples preferred method and keep on keepin on.

Friends dont let friends spread hate :huggg: Seriously, we have a ton of different ways to make harmless, tasteful, appealing hashes so theres no need to get a chubby over 'Frosin'. But your right, To each his own :tiphat:

midwestHIGHS

Veteran

Well when you work for a dispensary and bossman wants bho/pho thats what they get. I run distilled instrument nbutane, run dewaxing columns and purge for 5 days+. We are in the process of buying a pneumatic press to make rosin. solventless is the shit no doubt but properly made solvent extracts allow for some very potent and versatile medicine

midwestHIGHS

Veteran
Probably afterwards so as to not rupture any cell walls.

I've got some freshly picked flower in the freezer should I be worried about ice blockage during a run with a dry ice sleeve? I'm packing the dryice sleeve material column with fresh frozen material and then filling the sleeve with dryice before extraction.

Last edited:

Gray Wolf

Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I've got some freshly picked flower in the freezer should I be worried about ice blockage during a run with a dry ice sleeve? I'm packing the dryice sleeve material column with fresh frozen material and then filling the sleeve with dryice before extraction.

Some danger of the material thawing out during transfer, and then refreezing in the presence of atmospheric humidity. It is amazing how fast it can thaw, so best done quickly, or in a walk in freezer where humidity is low.

Fat Thor

We like to cut our fresh cut material into ~1/2" nugs and pack into a column, before sealing and freezing. Than minimizes how much humidity is available in the air to form ice over the trichomes.

We then extract with butane ranging from 0F to around -30C, using a counterflow exchanger and liquid N2.

Do you pack these tubes with the same amount of force as dry trim? or do you go a little easier on the column to prevent a blockage? thanks for all your knowledge

Dab Strudel

if you want the quick answer, Im pretty sure GW just lets them drop in and gives them a light tamp on the top to snug them together.

Gray Wolf

Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Do you pack these tubes with the same amount of force as dry trim? or do you go a little easier on the column to prevent a blockage? thanks for all your knowledge

I pack the material firmer than lightly, but not as firm as dried material, and then freeze it while in the column.

I push on the ram, but don't lean on it and push to a firm stop.