What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

amoubt of butane needed to flood the terpp mk4c 2lb column column

midwestHIGHS

Veteran
I'm currently running the terpp mk4c with a 3"x 36" tube with roughly 700 to 900 grams depending on how tight I pack my column. What would be the amount of butane needed to flood the material column safely? The column calculator on terpps website said 4.64 lbs 9f butane would be the amount to flood this size column, but I would like to double check as with most things.

Thanks for any help haven't ran a closed loop in a minute do I'm a lil rusty

Roji

I'm currently running the terpp mk4c with a 3"x 36" tube with roughly 700 to 900 grams depending on how tight I pack my column. What would be the amount of butane needed to flood the material column safely? The column calculator on terpps website said 4.64 lbs 9f butane would be the amount to flood this size column, but I would like to double check as with most things.

4.64 sounds right

Gray Wolf

A Posse ad Esse. From Possibility to realization.
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran

That question continues to go around, so rather than calculate it for you, here is how to figure it with any column.

Starting with 4", wall thicknesses increase to .083.

.7854 [Column OD (3") -(2X wall thickness of .065) Squared], X length of 36" X .0361lb weight of water per cubic inch, X .601 specific gravity of n-Butane= Weight of butane to fill.

The Terpp numbers that I checked were pretty close.

First post!

Wondering if you can clarify a little bit on the above equation. lil confused about what is referencing what there.

Many thanks

Dab Strudel

Do yourself a favor and buy a refrigerant scale.. I have the Mastercool AccuCharge II and couldnt ask for more. It takes away guess work and can shut off without losing its calculations.

drewbles

Terpp MKIII Parts for 2LB extraction

Terpp MKIII Parts for 2LB extraction

i have a 450g passive system i am very familiar with. i put 5 to 6 lbs of solvent (tane) thru it.
Thinking of getting the 900g terpp system, confused by the setup tho. With 900g in your column, you would need a bigger base size than the standard 6x12 , correct? I would imagine u need a 10x10 or 12x12 collection pot to run 2lbs of material into. The way terpp sets u up to purchase their systems though, they dont change the size of the collection base when u choose the 900g column. that doesnt make sense to me. are they assuming im running active? (apparently the collection pot can be smaller for active runs; that part makes sense to me.)
also ,how much gas should i/can i put thru this 900g system with a 30lb recovery tank?

thanks so much for the knowledge, i really appreciate u guys and the positive difference ur making in ur cannamunnity (;

Gray Wolf

A Posse ad Esse. From Possibility to realization.
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
i have a 450g passive system i am very familiar with. i put 5 to 6 lbs of solvent (tane) thru it.
Thinking of getting the 900g terpp system, confused by the setup tho. With 900g in your column, you would need a bigger base size than the standard 6x12 , correct? I would imagine u need a 10x10 or 12x12 collection pot to run 2lbs of material into. The way terpp sets u up to purchase their systems though, they dont change the size of the collection base when u choose the 900g column. that doesnt make sense to me. are they assuming im running active? (apparently the collection pot can be smaller for active runs; that part makes sense to me.)
also ,how much gas should i/can i put thru this 900g system with a 30lb recovery tank?

thanks so much for the knowledge, i really appreciate u guys and the positive difference ur making in ur cannamunnity (;

As an anchor point, we use 4.1 grams per cubic inch packing density, which means you would have 220 cubic inch column for 900 grams.

If you flood three volumes, in one pass, or 660 cubic inches, you would need 23" in a 6" column, 8.4" in a 10" column, or 5.8" in a 12" column. I don't recommend getting the intake closer than about 4" from the recovery port, so you would be pushing it with a 10" X 12" and a 12" X 12 would be about right.

You can partially recovery and flood more, to use a smaller pot, but it is faster the more surface area you have to recover from.

Latest posts

Latest posts