What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Misinformation re: black ash/flushing/drying/curing

2bags

Hi all,

Following years of reading and actual hands on experience, I still can't get to the bottom of how to create a clean burning end product with a white ash and strong taste.

I've managed to achieve it, just not consistently and cannot fathom why.

I've always grown in soil. First run was in biobizz allmix with biobizz organic feed and tap water. No flush resulted in black ash and bad taste.

Next run flushed for over 21 days of just water and still had black ash, bad taste.

Another run was allmix and organic feed, but using bottled water. No real flush this time but we had a white ash and cleaner burn once dry.

Tried different brand of organic soil mix but tap water again. Flushed for over 21 days. Black ash this time!

Tried chemically amended soil with no feed throughout entire grow. Black ash.

So it seems from trial and error, the problem is not the flush, but either the water or some other factor im not considering like the drying process. I've always chopped the entire plant and hung it in the dark in a cool room. The run that burnt white took the same amount of time to dry as the ones that burnt black.

Curing in my opinion is moot as I have had bud that tasted nice and burnt white when it was not even dry.

I don't think it could be overfeeding as one run was in organic soil with no feed throughout. They yellowed out early on but still burnt black once dry. Very strange.

I was wondering if anyone has an opinion on this and how to get consistent white ash?

Thanks

D

darkhorse

you might be drowning them i.e; too much water not enough air, so plants wont take up anymore water kind of like nute lockout but the other way round water lockout.
Roots will just be sitting drowning in water.

2bags

Thanks for all your replies.

Must be your tap water...

Hi Rromack, this has happened at different locations but all have had hard tap water.

AN final phase, will get you a fine white ash! Guaranteed! its the nutrients that are still present giving u the dark ash harsher smoke, you should see your plants fading color towards the end, good luck!!!

Hi aligee, many of the runs plants had completely faded yet still burnt black. Surely there wouldnt have been nutes left as they had stopped being fed weeks before chop and were fed lightly throughout?

you might be drowning them i.e; too much water not enough air, so plants wont take up anymore water kind of like nute lockout but the other way round water lockout.
Roots will just be sitting drowning in water.

Hi darkhorse, they arent watered frequently and only when the pots are light and soil is almost completely dry.

Could it be nothing to do with the flush and something to do with chlorophyll and drying?

Grow Tech

I've got a stalk of sinsemilla growing in my back
Veteran
^^ yep, I have had the same issues you describe. I was "flushing" with tap and it just didn't do the trick. Our tap has something like 625 ppm TDS and that is apparently too high to get a good flush for me. I now use RO from start to finish. Before I got myself a $125 RO filter it was a pain in the ass to go to the water vending machines but now that i've gotten the filter it's easy and cheap.

2bags

Thanks guys, I always assumed the soil would buffer the Mg but I suppose over time it has built up.

Some strains would burn blacker than others, I assume because some eat more Mg than others?

MIway

Veteran
if you listen to the tobacco growers, def during the grow cycle means dark colored ash... i believe they were referring to k. just to make you wonder some more. pretty sure high ca/mg levels also inhibit k uptake. just another possibility

2bags

if you listen to the tobacco growers, def during the grow cycle means dark colored ash... i believe they were referring to k.

Thanks MIway, I've never heard this before. So you're saying tobacco growers relate black ash to K deficiency? I always thought black tobacco ash was from the phosphorus and other heavy chem ferts they use.

2bags

Just read a bit about cigars. According to cigar experts, white ash simply means that the soil from where the tobacco was grown was high in phosphorus and calcium.

hmmm

2bags

Yep... my purest cannabis has always ended up as a soft, fluffy, off-white ash. Just a hint of grey.

It's 'cool' and 'soft' and packed with smell and flavor... taste lingers on your lips for hours.

Keep it Clean! :D

I always thought buds with high phosphorus content sparkle and crackle, burning quickly and producing foul smelling harsh smoke. I have noticed the ash burns quite white on these buds though.

I have only once got that white fluffy ash that I desire, it was using biobizz allmix, nutes and bottled water.

I also once water cured some of my black ash bud. The water was nasty brown after a day soaking. Once the curing process was over the buds burnt completely white, whiter than I've ever seen.

So the black ash is definitely something left in the buds and not just from a lack of P I reckon. Unless the lack of P causes a toxicity of some other element.