What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

BHOgart Extractor Thread

apollojmr

I am a very new to BHO guy that just got a BHOgart extractor and I am hoping to use this thread for others to see it in action and post their processes and post pics here for others to see. I know the extractor is very similar to the very awesome MKIII and Lil Terp and thats why I bought it. I was looking at having a MKIII built and sent but this was about the same money and I liked the looks of the BHOgart better. I hope to see some hellos from fellow BHOgart owners! :peacock:

FatherEarth

Veteran
what 'looks' did you like better about the BHOgart? Got any pics to share of the machine? I saw the BHOgart website with the rapping puppet and was immediately turned off. From what I could gather it seemed like at Terp operating backwards? I dunno was hard to make heads or tails of it from the very limited info on the website. Im certainly interested in seeing how it works and the oil it produces. What makes this machine better or worse than other designs? Exciting stuff with all these new extractors coming out. Sitting on the razors edge of oil technology, lol...

Hash Man

what 'looks' did you like better about the BHOgart? Got any pics to share of the machine? I saw the BHOgart website with the rapping puppet and was immediately turned off. From what I could gather it seemed like at Terp operating backwards? I dunno was hard to make heads or tails of it from the very limited info on the website. Im certainly interested in seeing how it works and the oil it produces. What makes this machine better or worse than other designs? Exciting stuff with all these new extractors coming out. Sitting on the razors edge of oil technology, lol...

Lol i must hqve gotten mine before he added the rapping puppet. I want to do a side by side, but at this point looks like the only difference is shower vs soak.

FatherEarth

Veteran
I just noticed they have a new and updated website.. Did you ever see the old site with the puppet? The new site seems respectable, the rapping puppet, not so much..

Gray Wolf

A Posse ad Esse. From Possibility to realization.
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Lol i must hqve gotten mine before he added the rapping puppet. I want to do a side by side, but at this point looks like the only difference is shower vs soak.

You can run a Terpenator as a flow through, vis a vis a soak. Just open the butane supply valve far enough to match the recovery pumps output. A flow restricter would do that for you, so that you didn't have to set it every time.

I designed the Terpenator as a bottom feed for more uniform wetting, and developed the process to use longer soaks because I thought it was a better technique, but Graywolf isn't the voice from the mountain, so that doesn't mean anyone can't develop their own improved process.

The looks of the Terpenator is what it is and it certainly could be purdier, but I will go toe to toe with any design for quality of product, cost to operate, speed, and percent extracted.

Attachments

• 85F extraction-1-1.jpg
    85F extraction-1-1.jpg
    46.7 KB · Views: 23

apollojmr

I am very embarrassed that I said that the BHOgart looked better. I guess what I meant to say is that it looked easier for me a newbie to get into and get going. I called the company up in Portland that assembles the MKIII and I just got impatient and jumped up and bought the BHOgart. I am happy with as it is nice, however I have not used it yet because I want to read as much as I can about the whole process. I am very thankful that you guys the heros of this industry have posted so much info on this process! Special thanks to Father Earth and also a huge shot out to the legend Gray Wolf! I am serious when I say that I ONLY made the decision to buy this was because of all of the great info I have read here and at SkunkPharm and *****. I am thankful for you guys and I will be posting pics and process in this thread as we go. I do have one pic that I took after I assembled the unit that I am posting now. Thanks for everything! Also I emailed you earlier Gray Wolf about the directions for use (and bitcoin)and I think I am going to make a nice how to tutorial video after I get this down!

apollojmr

BHOgart

BHOgart

This is the first and only picture I have so far. I am outta town, but when I return I will post more!:biggrin:

Attachments

• BHOgart.JPG
    BHOgart.JPG
    25.2 KB · Views: 20

FatherEarth

Veteran
nice. I look forward to see a video of the process. To me it looks so similar I would say someone may have gotten their Terpenator parts mixed around. When I first saw it advertised on CL I emailed the dude and basically asked him why didnt he give any credit to GW, lol thought he took the terp and called it something else. He clarified and GW told me the scoop on the BHOgart. Thanks for sharing.

Respectfully,

FE

FatherEarth

Veteran
I will say that the column looks too big for the collection pot. As well as the diameter being too large for an efficiently and evenly soaked column. A theme I find repeating itself in other extractors. Just my first thoughts....

Who asked me?...,

FE

apollojmr

I am VERY new to all of this extracting and I hope this does the trick! My thoughts were when I bought this was that worse case scenario I could buy more parts and make this a little better than it was originally made. After I called Specialized Formulations and found out it would cost darn near as much and I would still have to wait for a month or so I jumped the gun and got this. I am sure itll do the trick and I am thankful that its not a competition thing and that the guys who are obviously the most experienced are ok with corresponding with me! Thanks! I am really truly wanting to get into CO2 extraction but for obviou$$$$ reasons I chose this for now. I will try to master this ART and go from there!

jump117

Veteran
I designed the Terpenator as a bottom feed for more uniform wetting, and developed the process to use longer soaks because I thought it was a better technique,

What are the advantages of narrow and tall column against a wide and low in case of flooding from the bottom? :)

Gray Wolf

Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
What are the advantages of narrow and tall column against a wide and low in case of flooding from the bottom? :)

Slightly better washing of the boundary layers. Even though everything is wetted during a flood, the velocity of the butane by the material during flood and dump is lower with a larger diameter column. The velocity helps wash away partially reacted boundary layers, allowing fresh solvent to reach the undissolved resin.

Flow decreases the further you move away from the center of the column because of friction.

Smaller ones are harder to empty, except for air blasting, and then take less air.

Gray Wolf

Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I second jump117's rad question, why have a tall column if you don't need it?

We tried up to 48" and shortened the succeeding ones to 24" and 36" respectively, because they are much easier to load and unload.

I installed a concentric reducer in the top of the Mk V column, to increase flow to the outer portions of the 4" columns, and kept them at 24". Systems just having a hole in the end cap, don't do a good job of extracting the material at the top of the column, but near the hole, and the reducer squeezes the stream back down to the smaller hole.

Another thing to consider, is that given a given internal volume and the same butane flow, more of the butane passes through all of the material when flooding and draining, with a narrow column

Gray Wolf

Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I am very embarrassed that I said that the BHOgart looked better. I guess what I meant to say is that it looked easier for me a newbie to get into and get going. I called the company up in Portland that assembles the MKIII and I just got impatient and jumped up and bought the BHOgart. I am happy with as it is nice, however I have not used it yet because I want to read as much as I can about the whole process. I am very thankful that you guys the heros of this industry have posted so much info on this process! Special thanks to Father Earth and also a huge shot out to the legend Gray Wolf! I am serious when I say that I ONLY made the decision to buy this was because of all of the great info I have read here and at SkunkPharm and *****. I am thankful for you guys and I will be posting pics and process in this thread as we go. I do have one pic that I took after I assembled the unit that I am posting now. Thanks for everything! Also I emailed you earlier Gray Wolf about the directions for use (and bitcoin)and I think I am going to make a nice how to tutorial video after I get this down!

No offense taken, the BHOgart certainly has less valves and is less complicated, besides being purdy. As long as you are happy with it, I'm plumb tickled to death.

I may think my design is superior, but that doesn't mean that I don't recognize the thought that went into the competitive designs like the BHOgart and wish all producers of a quality product, who provides good service, well. From what I've heard, they do provide good support, so thumbs up as far as I'm concerned.

Two of the things that I learned early in life, is that the honorable Farmer prays for rain on the same day as the honorable traveler prays for good weather and the fish trap exists only because of the fish. Needs are different, and if a suitable fish is caught, how much critique of the trap that worked is justified.

Or to put it in engineering terms, rather that eastern philosophy, if something appears stupid, but it works, it isn't stupid, and if it isn't broke, don't fix it.

Hash Man

No offense taken, the BHOgart certainly has less valves and is less complicated, besides being purdy. As long as you are happy with it, I'm plumb tickled to death.

I may think my design is superior, but that doesn't mean that I don't recognize the thought that went into the competitive designs like the BHOgart and wish all producers of a quality product, who provides good service, well. From what I've heard, they do provide good support, so thumbs up as far as I'm concerned.

Two of the things that I learned early in life, is that the honorable Farmer prays for rain on the same day as the honorable traveler prays for good weather and the fish trap exists only because of the fish. Needs are different, and if a suitable fish is caught, how much critique of the trap that worked is justified.

Or to put it in engineering terms, rather that eastern philosophy, if something appears stupid, but it works, it isn't stupid, and if it isn't broke, don't fix it.

The customer service is good. I am a high maintenance customer and have been helped with a good attitude every time i contacted them with a question or need. I have a bigger tank and collection pot being shipped to me soon; they will customize your extractor if needed. I still want to do a side by side (expect to see me after harvest), and I am happy with the BHOgart extractor and the service provided.

apollojmr

You have a very great attitude! Thanks for the explanation on the whole column, that makes sense. As far as the BHOgart customer service I can say that its been good so far. I have not had to call for a problem yet so I guess some would say thats a great way to have customer service is by having a good product that people do not need to call about as much.

apollojmr

The customer service is good. I am a high maintenance customer and have been helped with a good attitude every time i contacted them with a question or need. I have a bigger tank and collection pot being shipped to me soon; they will customize your extractor if needed. I still want to do a side by side (expect to see me after harvest), and I am happy with the BHOgart extractor and the service provided.

How long have you had your BHOgart? I would also like to see a side by side comparison!

apollojmr

Has anyone ever used teflon coating in the inside of an extractor? I talked to the guy at BHOgart and I guess he is looking at some options of trying that.