What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

The Charas Thread

spicecowboy

High all you crazy growers and Cannabis lovers out there!

I would like to know more about the tradiational production of Charras.

As far as I´m informed, Charras is a name for the resin rubbed from Cannabis plants, for instance in India and Nepal("Temple Balls").

Flowers/leaves are rubbed in different stages, from very early flowering, up to harvest(in Nepal some plants reveg naturally and can be rubbed for 2-3 years).

The trichomes that stick to your fingers during harvest can also be classified as "charras like".

In Jamaica they sell so called "Gum", which actually is the stuff that sticks to the knives during the manicure.

There is also a more commercial style of this gum called "Machete Gum".

Is anybody out there who can tell us more about the production of Charras?

Would be great to get some first hand info.

One Love,

spice

spicecowboy

Oh yes, and I nearly forgot:

In Tadschikistan, they also rub trichomes from cannabis plants.

They call it "Churrus".

Those plants are officially classified as Indicas, but in fact look very much like "Sativa" plants.

You can get those strain from "Herbaria Seeds".

Just google around, and probaly you´ll find a source on the internet.

And visit

www.herbaria.ch

I guess this site is only in german, but just search for the "Shirin Gol"(that´s the strain from Tadschikistan) and look at the pictures.

This strain seems to be ideal for my climate(early flowering, and very good mold resistance...), and a good candidate for hashish production.

In case I could score some of those seeds during the next 3 weeks, I will grow them outdoors(maybe 10-15 plants, resulting in 5- 7 females) and turn the whole harvest into hashish.

Of course I would also choose one plant for my first real Charras rubbing experiments.

spice

Blazed_Out

Have your read Hashish! by Robert Connell Clarke?
I've got the book right next to me and haven't had the chance to read it in full. A lot of information from the different types of names, origins, production and everything.

Here's a little something I just read:

"The traditional charas-producing areas lie in the Parvatti Valley near Malana and in the Kulu Valley by Manali. The Hippie Hashish Trail reached the remote Kulu Valley after the Himalaya Foothill areas nearer Katmandu had been explored. The ganja fields of Kulu thrive at altitudes from 3,200 to 3,800 metres. The Kulu District produces about two tons of hand-rubbed charas anually. Parvatti Valley charas is considered to be of better quality than charas from the Kulu Valley. Hashish of legendary quality also is rubbed in the high valleys near the Chinese border. During the 1970's, the differing shapes-fingers, temple balls, and patties-indicated where the charas was collected. Small (5-to 10-g) patties were characteristic of the highest quality Malana charas; fingers of lower quality were usually from Manali. Today, the shapes are mixed; any shape may originate in any of the many different valleys."
Hashish! Page 102

ogrefugee

Official Tree Taster
Veteran
just finished reading an article about charas. the writer said it was an all day ordeal, and not easy to get the hang off.

zamalito

Veteran
If you use latex gloves the put them in the freezer and peel off the charas you can get the full melt clear dome charas. I'm a charas freak. Maybe it has to do with the emotional attachment of a large outdoor harvest but anyway. I LOVE CHARAS. In hashish! he says if your traveling to india people will offer to rub hash for you, he goes on to say that children are the best because their fingers are softer. I think the latex glove method takes advantage of this. Also pick pistils and leafy bits off as you're collecting. I wear the gloves when I harvest so I don't have to worry about hand dirt or rubbing the hash off in the field.

zamalito

Veteran
I got some tasmanian opium poppy seed from reeferman I can't wait to make opiated temple balls and then chew some khat leaves in the morning. GOOD TIMES!

I'll put some parvati landrace indica seeds up for auction when seedbay comes back.

Last edited:

zamalito

Veteran
Octadiem,

What part of afghanistan were you in that you saw rubbing ? Was it the eastern panhandle? That's fairly interesting. Was it just small scale?

Mr. Ganjabis

I also like charras very very much. In fact I'm heading to Northern India in October to catch up with charras season.
There are actually villages where whole families produce charras. Its seasonal though. October is the right time to visit.

Last edited:

CalcioErba2004

CalErba
Veteran
HAHAHAHA rectum stretching every morning for 4 weeks! :biglaugh:

I love charras and wish I had the patience to be able to do it myself. Anyone out there actually rub their own? :joint:

zamalito

Veteran
I haven't for a couple years but I've done the latex glove thing on some feshly chopped black domina because I wanted to be sure I could get the hash off if I used the gloves for harvesting. I don't think I've ever made or smoked hash that good before or after. If you have something sticky you should try it. Be sure not to use vinyl gloves for people who are allergic to latex they don't work anywhere near as well. After you rub put the glove in the freezer and the hash separates right off. Its weird though I though all fully pressed fmcd hash seived or rubbed would be that same red color but this was much more black though much more clear and translucent than even light bubbling tarlike charas this was more a dark greyish brown. Every other fresh charas I've smoked whether I made it or someone else did always looked like tar.

G

I got some tasmanian opium poppy seed from reeferman I can't wait to make opiated temple balls and then chew some khat leaves in the morning. GOOD TIMES!

Zamalito I was in Africa a few years ago in Djibouti and the locals loved their khat.

How could I possible aquire this plant in the US?

I know it is probably illegal and tough to get but man that would be nice.

zamalito

Veteran
Yeah they are illegal but the seeds aren't I actually ordered some seed on ebay a few years ago. I've never had them before but this year will hopefully be the year that the plants have a high enough alkaloid content to chew the leaves. They have to be fresh within a few hours off the plant to be any good. I had to buy seeds from two different vendors. You should get the seed that comes from southern african plants. In north africa they've been cultivating their plants from cuttings for so long they don't produce viable seeds. I bought some of these and actually paid a pretty decent sum for them but they weren't viable.

Latest posts

Latest posts