What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Guy almost blows himself up making BHO -- they warned us pot was dangerous!

Batboy

I'm not saying that this didn't happen, but the timing is suspect. You just know that the prohibitionist are loving it, and at the same time they are disappointed at how close they came to the first confirmed MJ death!

http://www.bendbulletin.com/apps/pb...0107/10310366/1009/NEWS01&nav_category=NEWS01

Pot experiment explodes in home

<SMALL class=pubDate>Published: October 31. 2010 4:00AM PST</SMALL>

COOS BAY — Police say a man who tried to distill the active ingredient from marijuana using butane gas inadvertently caused an explosion that sent the door of his refrigerator through a wall in his home.

Police have not identified the man and are checking whether any of the home’s residents has a valid medical marijuana card. No one was injured.

The Mail Tribune reports that the explosion on Monday shattered a window, dislodged cupboard doors and scattered food around the kitchen.

Coos County Sheriff’s Sgt. Pat Downing says one of the home’s residents was trying to extract tetrahydrocannabinol, or THC, from marijuana.

Hydrosun

I love my life
Veteran
Well I'm afraid of that stuff. We have members post about exploding BHO every so often that I don't want to try it.

What was he doing using a closed space like a fridge and what the hell caused the explosion?

:joint:

mr noodles

doing bho in an indoor place is pure suicide .

its dumb and its the fucking truth .

all extraction should be done in the great outdoor far from any house because gas can reach and accumulate . dont mess with gas or solvent or you will end looking like Freddy Kruger if you survive . think about your neighbours too , they dont deserve to burn because you are stupid .

this is dangerous and should be done OUTDOOR .

supermanlives

Veteran
thats why butane for dummies is dangerous. all you need is some static electricity or a pilot light and boom

Bulldog11

Veteran
Have any of you guys ever blown up a can of butane? I have, once at the beach I threw a small can of butane in the fire and ran. A 10 ft mushroom cloud exploded and put the fire out completly.

Now fast forward 10 years and I am in my back yard making oil. I am about to finish when I realize that in my pyrex dish is holding 15 large cans of Vector fuel. If that butane were to catch, I would have been in pieces. Good thing I was doing it outside on a breezy day.

C

Cookie monster

doing bho in an indoor place is pure suicide .

its dumb and its the fucking truth .

all extraction should be done in the great outdoor far from any house because gas can reach and accumulate . dont mess with gas or solvent or you will end looking like Freddy Kruger if you survive . think about your neighbours too , they dont deserve to burn because you are stupid .

this is dangerous and should be done OUTDOOR .
^ and thats the simple truth.
When I make bho it's out in the garden with a helmet and full set of bike leathers on, I may look like an idiot but at least I'll stand a chance if something goes wrong.

how could the explosion be big enough to blow the fridge apart and not injure somebody?
He went to the back door to light a joint :)
Maybe he went outside to get some air after filling the kitchen with butane?

Grat3fulh3ad

The Voice of Reason
Veteran
or else the idiot put the butane + oil in the fridge to off gas for some crazy reason...

sounds likely since it blew the door off, and scattered the food everywhere.
a fridge full of butane would be a bomb when the compressor or defroster kicked in.

BrainSellz

Veteran
One fact about acetone is "acetone is naturally produced and disposed of in the human body as a result of normal metabolic processes". Acetone simple evap method, Indoor outdoor good ventilation no problems, painters use acetone everyday to wash resins off of things. Using it to wash thc off of pot works just the same. jmo

supermanlives

Veteran
a few always have to go for the darwin awards. my setup was called the pipe bomb and treated as such. outside with a breeze

supermanlives

Veteran
i tried it once and wasnt impressed . your post has me thimking it time to try it again. last time was along time ago with brickweed. this time its mine baby. any sources for pure acetone or is home depot acetone acceptible>