What's new

10,000 garlics plants

angel4us

ICMag Donor
hi tokers!!! i have 10,000 garlic plants growing if i break up bulbs and replant in september on local farm ,i should have way over 80,000 bulbs to harvest in july 2011!!!!
i been getting 10$ / pound . and it takes 4 extra large heads to make a pound so you do math and that is 200,000 $.
talked to tax lady and its time to go commercial!!!!

anybody else out there grow garlic?????

hopleaf

i have a one acre organic hop farm. i can sell 2oz of my hops for $5. i get anywhere from 100-200 pounds at harvest. i sell half in ounces to the local brew shop, and i sell the other half in bulk. in one single harvest i can pull down some serious numbers. i'm thinking about buying some equipment, some more land, and seriously going big with this. probly won't be able to continue with organic once i go big, but that's fine with me. good luck with you farm my friend.

patched

angel4us, what region are you in, what type of garlic and soil?

Ive been thinking about getting into this myself!

Btw Whole foods has funding programs for local organic vegetables!!!

M and I had a large garlic patch for years in our backyard garden. Garlic is a wonder plant, really good for you, antibiotic, etc. Tough to kill, and comes up year after year. Don't let it crowd itself, or it stays really small. Plants are still coming up years after we ended our garden. Love the smell when I weed whack the sprouts down. We still put garlic in just about everything we eat.

angel4us

ICMag Donor
yes garlic king of illinois . thanks for info hopleaf and i have 7 different gardens right now and soil is mostly black dirt and decomposted root balls of swamp cattails !!!and sand. with lots of straw over three years and probably too much chicken shit.... but will be moving to a old farm yard between creek and old house. disked last fall and cultivated this spring and is ready for some covercrop right mnow!!!
ill have to check into whole foods because im totally organic but not certified but thats just a formality and some paperwork.....

angel4us

ICMag Donor
garlic and shitake mushroom logs

garlic and shitake mushroom logs

oh yes me too!!! i plugged 4500 mushroom plugs this sring . i have 1100 shitake, 1200 miatake(sheephead,hen of the woods), 2000 elm oyster , and a couple hundred each of some other freebies from mushroom cultivator. i took some spawn and made some pasturized straw and colonized a plastic vegtable carrier, and currently is totally colonized and producing thousands of tiny mushrooms -pinning - i do beleive is term..... too many pots in fire......lol

angel4us

ICMag Donor
hey there marquisblack!, im not sure i need to do some measuring real quick to figure if i need more ground tilled . but i have unlimited access to some of best black dirt in central illinois!! right now i have all my "flower" garden converted to garlic!!!! eight pretty good size gardens spread out over 17.5 acres.- but like i said were moving operation to my high schoolfoot ball player freinds farm-

angel4us

ICMag Donor
thanks patch !!! im suffering from playing superman all those years !! so it makes it tougher ,but i am raising a severely handicapped daughter who pretty much requiures 24 hour a day care . i get 220 respite nursing hours a year that pay 10.25 $/hour !! do you know any nurse who will come to my house and work ass off for peanuts after putting 40 plus hours at regular nursing gig?????
anyway throw an alcoholic momma on top of it all just to keep things complicated and thats just some of the variables in my happiness equation!!!!
as far as dough goes ive been without for so long ive developed a hatred for the stuff but unfortunately good deeds and favors for freinds dont pay the bills , but the garlic will this year!!! it sure beats concrete finishing!!!!